ChromeOS is an incredibly lightweight OS and it does not slow down like Windows after some time. However, if you have been working on your laptop for years, then a factory reset can speed up your Chromebook significantly. Also, in case someone has created a user account on your Chromebook without your permission, you can factory reset to remove the account completely.
So, in this article, we bring you four different ways to reset your Chromebook and bring it to the default factory settings in 2023.
Note: All of the reset methods mentioned below will wipe out your local files and folders. So before proceeding, make sure to back up all your files and folders.
1. How to Powerwash a Chromebook (Simplest Method)
1. Open the Quick Settings panel from the bottom-right corner.
2. Next, click on the cogwheel icon to open Settings.
3. In the left pane, click on “Advanced -> Reset Settings” at the bottom.
4. Next, click on the “Reset” button under the Powerwash menu.
5. Now, go through the on-screen instructions and your Chromebook will powerwash itself.
2. Factory Reset Chromebook Without Password
In case, you have forgotten the password of your Chromebook and want to reset it, use this ChromeOS keyboard shortcut. Here are the steps to follow.
1. First of all, restart your device.
2. On the login screen, press Ctrl + Alt + Shift + R keys at once.
3. A Reset window will instantly open up. Click on “Powerwash and Revert”.
4. It will start the factory reset process on your Chromebook without a password.
3. Hard Reset Chromebook Using Recovery Mode
Hard Reset can come in handy when your Chromebook is not booting at all or freezing mid-way. In addition, if the above methods don’t work, you can hard reset your Chromebook this way.
A hard reset, unlike the normal powerwash, restores both the software and hardware configurations of your Chromebook to the factory default settings. It uses the Chromebook Recovery Mode to facilitate the reset option.
1. First of all, turn off your Chromebook completely.
2. Next, press and hold the “Refresh” key (usually above 4) and the physical “Power” button simultaneously.
Note: In case your Chromebook is not booting, connect it to a power source and then press the above key combination at once. If it’s not showing any screen then press “Esc” with the other two keys.
3. Once the Chromebook shows the “Chrome OS missing/damaged” screen, release all the keys.
4. Now, press Ctrl + D to open the Chrome Recovery Screen.
5. After that, go through the on-screen instructions and it will hard reset the Chromebook successfully.
6. In case you have a tablet with ChromeOS, press and hold the “Volume Up” and “Power” buttons for at least 10 seconds. After that, go through the on-screen instructions to hard reset your tablet. It’s very similar to the hard reset process on Android devices.
7. Some older Chromebooks come with a dedicated reset key which can be used to hard reset a device. Google has created a list of ChromeOS devices with their specific reset key and hardware information. So, click on the linked article and find the specific instructions.
4. Reset a School Chromebook to Factory Settings
If you have a Chromebook that has been given by your school then sadly, you can’t reset the device on your own. Since the Chromebook has been enrolled under an administrator, you are not allowed to access reset and other advanced options.
In case, you manage to reset a school Chromebook somehow, it will still be enrolled under the assigned administrator. To truly gain all the privileges, you will have to ask your admin to unenroll the Chromebook from the school console.
So that was our article on how to powerwash a Chromebook in different ways. Depending on what problems you are facing, you can choose any of the methods from the article. For most people, the first and the easiest method to reset a Chromebook will be sufficient. So, now that your ChromeOS machine is running smoothly, go check out some Chromebook games and ChromeOS tips and tricks to put that newfound performance to good use. Moreover, if you are still facing issues, do comment down below and let us know.