Users who move from a Windows PC to a Chromebook find it hard to accept that they can no longer play their favorite games on this new platform. However, things have changed dramatically in the past few years thanks to Linux support and now you can play a majority of Windows games either through Steam on Chrome OS or Play Store. Recently, we covered how to play Minecraft on Chromebook, and this time we bring you how to run Roblox on your machine. You can easily install and play Roblox on a Chromebook and without many hacks and tweaks. So without further delay, let’s jump to the steps.
Note: Want to share your Roblox gameplay with the world? Learn how you can enable and record screen on Chromebook by following the linked article.
Play Roblox on a Chromebook (Updated 2021)
You can actually play Roblox on Chromebooks, but you need Play Store support. The experience with the Android app is much better and the frame rate is also pretty good. However, in case, you have a school-issued Chromebook and Play Store is locked for you then you can’t play Roblox.
Earlier, it was possible to use ARC Welder to run Roblox on school issued Chromebooks. However, ARC Welder has been removed from the Chrome Store and can no longer be used. Unfortunately, that means that there is currently no way to play Roblox on Chromebooks without Play Store support.
Run Roblox on a Chromebook (Requires Play Store Support)
1. First of all, open the Settings page of your Chromebook by clicking on the cogwheel icon under the Quick Settings menu.
2. Next, click on “Apps” on the left pane and enable Google Play Store, if Play Store is already not turned on.
3. After that, search for Roblox in the Play Store (Free, offers in-app purchases) and install it right away on your Chromebook.
4. Now, just open the game from the App Drawer and Roblox will work like a charm. You can also press the Search key on the keyboard and search for “roblox” and open it. The best part is that it supports WASD key controls and external mouse as well.
5. In my testing, there was some graphics-related black lines issue while playing Roblox on Chromebook. However, after enabling GPU acceleration on my Chromebook from Chrome Flags, the effect was minimized. You can also try the same method on your Chromebook. Other than that, if your Chromebook has an ARM-based processor then Roblox would perform pretty well since you are running an Android app.
Install Roblox on Your Chromebook and Play Like a Champ
So that was our short article on how to play Roblox on a Chromebook. As we can see, the popular game is already available on the Google Play Store and you don’t need to go through any sort of hassles to play this massive multiplayer game. If you have a school-issued Chromebook then unfortunately there is no way you can run Roblox on your school Chromebook. However, you can try Crayta on Google Stadia which is a game like Roblox and is also free to play.
Anyway, that is all from us. If you want to play more games on Chrome OS, head over to our dedicated article on the best Chromebook games.