Earlier, playing games on Chromebook was limited to select Android and browser games, but that has completely changed now. Thanks to Nvidia’s cloud-gaming platform — GeForce Now, you can now play PC games on a Chromebook with desktop-level features. Also, the support for Steam gaming on Chromebook has made it possible for you to game easily on Chrome OS. It basically means Chromebooks can run Fortnite and several other games without a hitch. All you need is a fast internet connection, and that’s it. Apart from that, you can also sideload the Android version of Fortnite on your Chromebook or use Chrome Remote Dekstop to remotely play Fortnite from your PC. In this article, we will explain the three ways to install and play Fortnite on a Chromebook. With that said, let’s go through the guide.
Play Fortnite on a Chromebook (Updated December 2022)
Play Fortnite on a Chromebook Using NVIDIA GeForce Now
1. Firstly, you need to set up GeForce Now on your Chromebook by following the linked guide. You need to sign up for an Nvidia account. After that, it’s a pretty straightforward process. Keep in mind that you will need an external mouse to play Fortnite on a Chromebook. Also, the best part is that you can play Fornite even on school-issued Chromebooks.
2. Once you have logged into GeForce Now, open the Epic Games Store (link) and sign in to your existing account if you already play Fortnite. In case you are a new user, sign up for a new account.
3. Now, search for Fortnite in the Epic Games Store or click here to open the Fortnite game listing. Next, click on the “Get” button.
4. As Fortnite is a free-to-play game, you don’t need to enter any card details. After a few seconds, you will be notified that you have successfully bought Fortnite. Now, you can close the Epic Games Store.
5. Move back to GeForce Now website (link) and search for Fortnite. Add the game to your library and then click on “Play“.
6. After a few seconds, a rig will be allotted to you. Now, click the “Continue” button.
7. In the first run, GeForce Now will ask you to enter your Epic Games credentials. Here, log in with the same account you used in the Epic Games Store to buy Fortnite. By the way, this is a one-time process.
8. Finally, you are done. Now, Fortnite will run successfully on your Chromebook, and you can play the game without any limitations. If you use an existing Epic Game account, all your rewards, skins, and resources will be available here.
Play Fortnite on Your Chromebook (Android Mobile Version)
Since the Epic Games Store is not available on the Google Play Store, you need to sideload the Fortnite APK on your Chromebook. For this, you don’t have to move to the Developer mode. You will only need Linux support in order to sideload the app. Here are the steps you need to follow:
1. First, follow our tutorial on how to sideload Android apps on a Chromebook. This will set up ADB and allow you to sideload the Epic Games Store APK on your Chromebook.
2. Next, go ahead and download the Epic Games Store APK from its official website. For that, you need to change the web layout to mobile. Open the official website and press “Ctrl + Shift + I“. This will open the Developer console.
3. Now, click on the “mobile-tablet” icon in the top-left corner of the Developer console and reload the page. The website will load in the mobile layout. Finally, click on “Download Now” to get the Fortnite Installer APK.
4. Next, I suggest moving the APK to the “Linux files” section and renaming it to “fortnite.apk” for convenience’s sake. This will help you while dealing with commands in the Linux Terminal.
5. After that, open the Terminal app from the App Launcher and run the below command. This will install the Fortnite (Epic Games) installer on your Chromebook.
adb install fortnite.apk
6. Now, open the App Drawer again and launch Epic Games.
7. Finally, click on “Get” next to “Fortnite” to install Fortnite on your Chromebook. The game will now download, and you will be ready to play Fortnite on your Chrome OS device.
Play Fortnite on a Chromebook Using Chrome Remote Desktop
If you have a Windows PC at home, you can install Fortnite on there and use Chrome Remote Desktop to remotely play Fortnite on your Chromebook. It requires you to have a good internet connection to reduce latency and improve the gameplay. Here is how you can do it:
1. Make sure you have Fornite installed on your Windows PC. Now, open the Chrome browser on your Windows PC and go to this link – remotedesktop.google.com/support. Here, click on “Generate Code“.
2. After that, open the same page again on your Chromebook and enter the generated code under the “Connect to another computer” section. Next, click on “Connect”. This will connect the Chromebook to your Windows PC.
3. Now, go ahead and remotely launch Fortnite on the Windows PC via your Chromebook and play the game’s desktop version without much hassle.
Run Fortnite on a Chromebook Just Like PC
So that is how you can install and play Fortnite on a Chromebook. As you can see, with GeForce Now, it has become significantly easier for users to play Fortnite on a Chromebook. You get the full-fledged PC version with support for the keyboard, mouse, and controllers. I would say, go ahead and try out GeForce Now on your Chromebook. You are absolutely going to love it. And in case you don’t have access to GFN, you can try the Android version or use remote desktop from your PC. Apart from that, if you want to install Steam on your Chromebook or wish to play Minecraft Java Edition on ARM Chromebooks, follow our linked guides. Finally, if you face any issues, comment down below and let us know.
for downloading android version it says my device is not compatible
I Dont Like The Time Limit!
guys just get a PC
So ur just here to criticize people either that or ur a hypocrite
Do I have to wait for it every time?
Is there a way to make the time longer? I only get 1 hour of play time and I have to relaunch the game
i dont get it.
is it actually you Preston
Steps are alright but it really needs a good processor such as Helio G90T to handle the game well in the Chromebook.
can you suggest me a good chromebook
For a brief period, HP was selling Chromebooks in India, but they seem to have discontinued it. You can check the listing below, although it’s overpriced right now. If you can import from the US or other region then try to get the Asus C434.