Chromebooks are a fantastic machine for general users as it comes built-in with most of the basic tools. If you want to take a screenshot on Chromebook, you can easily do it with a combination of shortcut keys. You don’t need to install any third-party app as Chrome OS allows you to take all kinds of screenshots including full-screen, window, and partial snaps. Nevertheless, I have mentioned a third-party app in case you are looking for a complete tool that has features like annotation and screen-recording too. So with all that said, let’s go ahead and learn how to take a screenshot on a Chromebook.
Take Screenshots on a Chromebook (Updated July 2020)
- Take Screenshots with Keyboard
- Take Screenshots with Buttons in Tablet Mode
- Take Screenshots with Stylus
- Take Screenshots with Chrome Extensions
- Take Screenshots with an External Keyboard
Take Screenshots with Keyboard
1. Full-screen Screenshot: If you want to take screenshots on Chromebook, the simplest way is to press Ctrl and the Overview button at once. It will instantly take a screenshot of the whole screen.
- Shortcut: Ctrl + Overview button (just above the 6 key)
Now, open the Files app and you will find the screenshot under the “Downloads” folder.
You can also paste the screenshots directly into photo-editing apps, Gmail, or any other media field. When you take a screenshot on Chromebook, click on “Copy to Clipboard” at the bottom-right corner. It will copy the screenshot to the clipboard. Now, paste on any media field and there you will have it.
If you want to sync your screenshots to Google Drive then move the file to the “Google Drive” section. Easy peasy!
2. Window Screenshot: If you want to take a screenshot of the current window then press Ctrl, Alt, and the Overview button. And then select the window on your screen. You can either hit enter to take a screenshot of the active window or choose the window using your mouse.
- Shortcut: Ctrl + Alt + Overview button (just above the 6 key)
3. Partial Screenshot: And if you want to freely take a screenshot of a specific area then press Ctrl, Shift, and the Overview button. The screen will dim and then you can select the perfect area to take a screenshot on your Chromebook.
- Shortcut: Ctrl + Shift + Overview button (just above the 6 key)
Take Screenshots with Buttons in Tablet Mode
If you want to screenshot on Chromebook in tablet or tent mode then press the power and either of the volume buttons at once, similar to smartphones. You don’t need to press and hold; just press and release the buttons at once. A full-screen screenshot will be captured instantly.
- Shortcut: Power + Either of the Volume buttons
Take Screenshots with Stylus
1. Full-screen Screenshot: If you have connected a stylus with your Chromebook then a “Stylus” menu will appear on the bottom-right self. Open it and select “Capture Screen” and it will take a full-page screenshot on your Chromebook.
2. Partial Screenshot: And if you want to take a partial screenshot, click on the “Stylus” menu and select “Capture Region”. Now, you can use your stylus, touch, and hold somewhere on the screen and then drag to select an area. After that, release the stylus and a screenshot will be taken.
Take Screenshots with Chrome Extensions
So that is how you can screenshot on a Chromebook natively. If you are looking for a more versatile and powerful screenshot tool then check out the Nimbus extension (Free). It allows you to take all kinds of screenshots and also offers screen recording and on-screen annotation.
Take Screenshots Using an External Keyboard
1. Full-page Screenshot: If you have connected an external keyboard to your Chromebook then you can take a screenshot by pressing Ctrl and F5 at once. It works very similarly to the native Chromebook shortcut, but you need to press F5 in place of the overview button.
- Shortcut: Ctrl + F5
2. Window Screenshot: Similarly, for a window screenshot using an external keyboard, press Ctrl, Alt, and F5. It will instantly take a screenshot of the current window.
- Shortcut: Ctrl + Alt + F5
3. Partial Screenshot: Lastly, press Ctrl, Shift, and F5 to take a partial screenshot using an external keyboard. The screen will dim automatically and then you can select a region easily.
- Shortcut: Ctrl + Shift + F5
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. Where do the screenshots go on a Chromebook?
All screenshots are saved under the “Downloads” folder. Just open the “Files” app and move to the “Downloads” folder and there you have it. If you want to change the screenshot location, you can do so from Settings -> Advanced -> Downloads -> Change.
Q. What is F5 on a Chromebook?
Simply put, F5 on a Chromebook is the overview key which is generally located above the 6 key. You can press it along with Ctrl to take a screenshot.
Q. What is the Switch Key on a Chromebook?
The Switch key is again the same as the overview key. It’s used to switch windows on a Chromebook so it’s called the Switch key.
Take a Screenshot on a Chromebook Like a Pro
So that was our short article on how to screenshot on a Chromebook. We have offered all the ways to capture a screenshot, including native and a third-party extension methods. While the built-in shortcuts are adequate for me, some users want a complete solution from annotation to free-style crop selection. In that case, go for the third-party extension that I have mentioned above. Anyway, that is all from us. If you want to learn more about Chromebooks then stay tuned with us as we bring some more cool stuff about Chrome OS.