Reddit is one of the oldest social media platforms in the market that has garnered hundreds of millions of users over the years. If you are a Redditor (yes, that’s what we call a Reddit user), you would know that you can find all kinds of content and people from around the world on the platform. However, due to the open nature of the platform, many users can be the target of harassment or bullying by others. To prevent this from negatively affecting its users, Reddit has previously taken steps by partnering with an SMS hotline service that provides counseling and support to depressed users. And now, the company has revamped its blocking feature to make it more effective. So if you are looking to get rid of an annoying Redditor who keeps spamming your posts or shaming you, here’s how to block someone on Reddit with ease!
Block Users on Reddit: A Definitive Guide (2022)
First, we have explained how the new blocking system on Reddit differs from the previous one. And then, we detail the steps to block or unblock users on Reddit using the mobile or desktop app. Use the table below to navigate to a relevant section of your choice.
Previous Blocking System on Reddit
For those wondering, Reddit already had a blocking feature like most other social media platforms like Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. However, unlike the others, Reddit’s blocking feature was kind of half-baked and ineffective for users.
Previously, if you blocked a user on the platform, it prevented you from seeing their posts on your timeline. The feature, however, did not have any effect on the blocked person as they could still see or interact with your posts and comments on Reddit. Hence, it was merely a mute feature rather than a blocking feature.
Citing this major flaw in its blocking feature and taking the user outcry into consideration, Reddit recently shared an official blog post to announce its improved new blocking feature. The company stated that it is currently rolling out its “revamped blocking experience” for users and moderators. Now, how is that different, you ask? Keep reading to learn more about the new block user feature on Reddit.
New Blocking Experience on Reddit
The improved blocking feature will allow you to actually block a user rather than muting them. So now, if you block a person who is harassing or bullying you on Reddit, they will not be able to see your posts, comments, or even your profile. For the blocked users, your posts and comments will appear as “deleted” and your profile page will appear as “unavailable”.
However, one exception is that if you block a moderator and post something on their subreddit, they will be able to see or interact with your post. In fact, they will also be able to see your profile’s history in the communities they moderate but not the entire history of your profile in other communities.
Moreover, if the blocked moderator posts or comments in a community and distinguishes themselves as a mod, you will be able to see their posts on your timeline. You can learn more about how the new blocking feature would work for moderators right here.
Now, if you are wondering how to block someone on Reddit, we got you covered. You can find the step-by-step guide below.
How to Block Someone on Reddit on Mobile (Android & iOS)
The method to block someone on Reddit using an Android and iOS mobile device is the same. We have used an iPhone to demonstrate the steps in this guide. However, you can use the same steps to block someone on Reddit on Android as well. So, with that out of the way, let’s check out the steps to block a user on Reddit using the mobile app.
- Open the Reddit app on your smartphone. Go to the profile of the user you want to block.
- Tap the three-dot menu icon at the top right corner of the user profile.
- Then, select the “Block user” option from the pop-up menu. Press the “Block” button in the pop-up prompt again to confirm your choice. And voila! You have successfully blocked a Reddit user.
Using these steps, you can easily block someone who might be harassing, bullying, or stalking you on Reddit. And thanks to the improved safety feature, the blocked user will not be able to see or interact with your profile, posts, or comments after you block them.
How to Block Someone on Reddit on Desktop (Windows & Mac)
Coming to the steps of blocking someone on Reddit using a Mac or Windows desktop, the process is the same as the web client. So, without further ado, let’s get into the steps below.
- Open the Reddit app on your Windows or Mac device or open the Reddit web client in your preferred web browser. Log in to your profile if you haven’t already.
- Go to the user profile you want to block on the platform. On the right-hand side of the screen, you will see a profile card, showcasing some details about the user. Here, click the “More Options” button under the “Chat” button on the profile card.
- Now, click the “Block User” option to instantly block the user and prevent them from accessing your profile or content on Reddit.
How to Unblock a User on Reddit on Mobile (Android & iOS)
Now, if you want to unblock a user you previously blocked on Reddit using the mobile app, follow the steps below.
- Open the Reddit app on your iPhone or Android device. Tap your profile picture at the top right corner of the screen (it’s on the top-left corner on Android) to open up the hamburger menu.
- At the bottom of the hamburger menu, tap the “Settings” option.
- Next, tap on your username under the “Account Settings” section.
- Here, go to the “Manage blocked accounts” section under “Blocking and Permissions”.
- Tap the “Unblock” button corresponding to the username of the person you wish to unblock on Reddit. Yeah, it’s that easy, and you will now be able to their posts, and they will be able to see your content on their timeline.
How to Unblock a User on Reddit on Desktop (Windows & Mac)
As for unblocking someone on Reddit using a Mac or Windows desktop computer, follow the steps below.
- Open Reddit using a web browser of your choice. Click on your profile icon at the top right corner to open a drop-down context menu.
- From the drop-down menu, select the “User Settings” option.
- On the User settings page, move to the “Safety & Privacy” tab.
- Here, you will see the “People You’ve Blocked” section with a list of usernames of the people you have blocked on the platform. Now, tap on the “Remove” button next to the user who you want to unblock, and you are done.
You can follow the above steps to easily unblock someone you previously blocked on Reddit using its desktop app or the web client.
Block Users on Reddit: Frequently Asked Questions
How would the comments of a blocked user appear in others’ posts for me?
If a blocked user comments on any other user’s post that shows up on your timeline, the comment will appear as collapsed, and they will be flagged as a “Blocked User“. When Reddit initially rolled out the update, a bug caused the comments of a blocked user to appear without the “Blocked User” flag for some users. However, the company later confirmed to have fixed the bug.
Where do I find the list of users that I blocked?
If you wish to access the list of users you have blocked on Reddit, you can go to the “Safety and Privacy” section from the User Settings menu. You can find the “User Settings” option in the drop-down menu of your profile (screenshot attached below).
If I block a user on Reddit, do they get automatically reported?
No, blocking a user on Reddit does not automatically report their profile. It simply blocks the user from accessing your Reddit footprint and vice-versa. If you want to report a user, you can visit Reddit’s reporting page and submit a report against their profile with valid reasons.
Can I unblock a user and then block them again?
Yes, you can. However, Reddit will prevent you from blocking a user you have recently unblocked. So, you will not be able to block the user for a certain period after you unblock them. It is to prevent abuse of the block feature on the platform, as per Reddit.
When will the new blocking experience on Reddit be available for my device?
Reddit says that it is currently rolling out the new blocking experience for all users across platforms. So, if it is not available on your mobile or desktop app, try updating them to the latest versions from their respective digital marketplaces.
Block Users on Reddit with Ease
So yeah, that’s all about Reddit’s revamped blocking experience. The new way to block Reddit users is much more robust than the previous one and aims to provide users with a safer social experience. However, if you are looking to leave Reddit for good and switch to alternatives to Reddit, check our in-depth guide on how to permanently delete your Reddit account. Nonetheless, do share your thoughts about Reddit’s new blocking experience in the comments below. Also, stay tuned on our website for more tech guides, news, and interesting stories.