What is Video Blogging
Unlike conventional text blogging, as it’s name suggests video blogging is sharing your thoughts through a video. Video Blogging offers a better user experience since a video can provide a better illustration and visualization, there are several topics that cannot be covered through articles merely.
Advantages of Video Blogging
– Video blogs tend to be more attractive ,the more enticing your videos are, the more will be the word of the mouth factor that can contribute significantly to your blog traffic.
– Video Blogging could be more lucrative because you can benefit from the revenue of video ads.
– On the other hand, videos when compared to other types of media can fetch you authority in no time.
Disadvantages of Video Blogging
– Hosting a video requires space on the server , which can make it difficult to launch. But it can be circumvented by hosting videos on YouTube or Vimeo.
– It takes more time to process and upload a video it takes to write a text over the creation and updating a video blog takes work. Firstly, you need to write a script for your videos, then there will be filming, editing, etc.. On an average, it takes around 5 times longer than writing a text articles, although it also depends on the size of the content.
– It is often that your readers may easily get frustrated with the slow loading speed of videos featured in your blog. It could be absolute nightmare for dial-up connection users.
– A video can not be crawled by the search engines. And as they prefer the text content, determine its quality and volume to determine the relevance of a page from a keyword, the videos are a little less referenced. (Although the text around a video, tend to have more weight than text without video)
Pros and Cons of Text Blogging
– If you are running a blog related to gadgets, 80% of your visitors tend to prefer videos over text.
– Best User Compatibility Ratio (Since many mobiles and dial-up networks do not support videos)
– Doesn’t require you to setup the environment, camera and you don’t need to buy the product you might be reviewing.
Video Blogging vs Blogging: Verdict
Whether or not to video blog depends on the subject you want to cover, and how much time you can devote .Personally I think the video blogging is a great option , and if I create a blog in a saturated theme, for example technology, I will exclusively feature video blogging. Finally it all depends on the niche you choose, you can’t possibly implement video blogging in a finance blog.
You don’t need to choose only one, Blogging with occasional videos or articles accompanied by videos is the best choice. One of the most popular blog, TechCrunch follows the same strategy.
Author Bio: Gautham is an author of SmashPixels, a tech blog. He usually writes about security, recently composed Best Antivirus for Windows 7
Image Courtesy: Mashable.com