Minecraft finally has frogs in the game, and they are easily the most interesting creatures to ever be added to the game. But what makes the frogs even more interesting is their unique breeding process. It’s unlike any other mob in the game, and with proper planning, yields pretty reliable results. If you have downloaded the Minecraft 1.19 update and are planning to visit the newly added mangrove swamps, you should know how to tame and breed frogs. So in this guide, let’s learn the easiest way to breed frogs and have it lay eggs that grow into tadpoles in Minecraft 1.19.
Tame and Breed Frogs in Minecraft (2022)
We will first understand the taming mechanic of frogs and see if it is even possible. But if you are more interested in the breeding process, use the table below to skip right ahead.
Can You Tame Frogs in Minecraft?
Unfortunately, the frogs in Minecraft are not tameable. That means you can’t tame them like you can tame foxes, wolves, and cats in the game. But that doesn’t mean you can’t keep them around in your village. Here are some methods to tame frogs in a non-traditional way:
- Frogs can jump up to a height of 3 blocks. So you can enclose them in a habitat with a roof or walls that are at least 4 blocks high.
- Frogs will follow you around if you are holding a slimeball in your hand. With this mechanic, you can easily guide frogs into your Minecraft house or anywhere, just like a tamed mob.
- Lastly, if nothing else works, you can craft a lead and use it to transport your frog around your world. You can make a boat in Minecraft to transport the frog, but getting it in the boat can be a little tricky.
How to Breed Frogs in Minecraft
In Minecraft, frogs have the following stages of life:
- Frogspawn (eggs)
Interestingly, unlike other mobs, the frogs don’t have a baby frog variant. Instead, the frogs lay eggs or, as Minecraft calls it, frogspawn that later hatches into tadpoles. These tadpoles are fragile and can’t survive without water. But if they survive long enough, we get adult frogs that can freely live on land and within water.
With the basics out of the way, explore each stage of a frog’s life in Minecraft right here.
Items Required to Breed Frogs
You only need the following items to breed frogs in Minecraft:
- Two Frogs
- Two Slimeballs
- A Source of Water
Just like other mobs, frogs’ love mode is also directly related to food. You have to feed them slimeballs to make the frogs breed. Fortunately, you don’t have to travel anywhere to collect slimeballs. You can obtain slimeballs by killing the hostile mob slime that spawns in the same swamp biome as frogs but only at night.
As for where you can find frogs, they exclusively spawn in the swamp biomes (regular and mangrove) in the game. For a headstart, you can use some of the best Minecraft mangrove swamp seeds.
How to Make Frogs Lay Eggs in Minecraft
Once you have killed slime to get smaller slimeballs, which is the frog’s meal, you need to follow the steps below to make two frogs breed in Minecraft:
1. Once you have collected enough slimeballs, bring your two frogs close to a source of water and feed a slimeball to each of them. Then, hearts will appear on top of their heads, and one frog will go near the waterbody and lay eggs (frogspawn).
2. The frogspawn later hatches to spawn tadpoles. It takes about 10 minutes to hatch, and you can get 2-6 tadpoles from each frogspawn.
3. Once the frogspawn hatches, tadpoles spawn and can only survive within water. Just like frogs, tadpoles are also fond of slimeballs and follow the player holding slimeballs. It can take a maximum of 20 minutes for tadpoles to grow into frogs.
How to Get Different Variants of Frogs
Now that you know how to breed frogs, the next thing you need to do is breed all variants of frogs. Fortunately, the variant of the frog that spawns from a tadpole is not connected to the parent. Instead, the frogs variant is decided on the basis of the biome they grow up in. Follow these steps to get different variants of frogs:
1. First, craft a bucket using three iron ingots and the following crafting recipe:
2. Next, go to your tadpoles and right-click or use the secondary action key on the water with the bucket equipped in your hand. You then need to repeat the process and right-click on the tadpole with a bucket of water. You will end up getting a “bucket of tadpoles” that you can carry and place anywhere.
3. Finally, take your tadpole and place it in the biome relevant to the variant of frog you want. You can get a complete list of frogs and their related biomes in our guide to finding frogs in Minecraft. Then, all that’s left to do is wait for the tadpole to grow into a frog.
Tame and Breed Frogs in Minecraft
Now it’s your turn to use the knowledge about taming and breeding frogs in Minecraft to collect all the variants of this mob. But that’s not the end. You can even use frogs to create a froglight in Minecraft, which are easily one of the best light sources in the game. They can help you level up your Minecraft house ideas like nothing else. But if you are planning to use a darker theme, the sculk blocks are absolutely a better option. Having said that, which other wild mob should Minecraft bring to the game? Tell us in the comments!