Over the years, Minecraft has given us a variety of light sources in the game. From torches to glowstone, the options have been diverse and somewhat reliable. But when it comes to building a Minecraft house, almost none of them suffice to the standards. The problem has always been not having enough variants of the same light source. But the newest Minecraft 1.19 update changes that with the introduction of frogs. And now, if you know how to make a froglight in Minecraft, you can get a reliable and diverse source of light with minimum effort. Sounds too good to be true? Well, witness it yourself as we make a froglight in Minecraft.
Make a Froglight in Minecraft (2022)
We have divided our guide into sections to cover the mechanics, the process of acquiring, and the usage of froglights. Use the table below to explore these sections at your own pace.
What is a Froglight in Minecraft
A froglight is a light block dropped by frogs in Minecraft. You can place and break the froglight with any tool without losing it. In terms of brightness, the froglight has a light level of 15, which is the highest in the game. The brightness level of froglights is the same as fire, lava, lantern, glowstone, and more.
Moreover, this light source is fire and lava-proof, making it the perfect building block to reduce mob spawns in a Nether base. To be fair, you can also use blocks like glowstone, but the froglight’s texture is simply more pleasant.
Types of Froglights in Minecraft
As you might already know, Minecraft has three types of frogs depending upon the climate of the biome they spawn in – temperate, cold, and warm. Along the same lines, we have three types of froglight in the game. Each frog drops a different variant of the froglight.
So, you can get the following types of froglights in Minecraft:
- Pearlescent or purple – dropped by warm (white) frogs
- Verdant or green – dropped by cold (green) frogs
- Ochre or orange – dropped by temperate (orange) frogs
Items You Need to Make a Froglight
The frogs drop a froglight whenever they eat a small magma cube. Magma cubes are hostile mobs similar to slimes, exclusive to the Nether dimension. If you kill a large magma cube, it divides itself into three smaller magma cubes. The frogs eat the smallest magma cube to drop froglight. So, to obtain a froglight, you need the following items:
- A Frog
- A Small Magma Cube
- A Lead (to transport frog)
- A Nether Portal
- A Sword (to kill bigger magma cubes)
Since the magma cubes don’t have much health, you can use any type of sword for this mission. You don’t really need to have enchantments applied to your sword. As for the lead, you can craft one with the help of four strings and one slimeball using a crafting table.
Alternatively, you can also hold a slimeball, which frogs in Minecraft like to eat, to make the frog follow you. But that method stops working as soon as you unequip the slimeball. So, sticking with a lead is the best option. Not to forget, if you wish to be extra cautious, you can also create a Potion of Fire Resistance before traveling to the Nether.
How to Get Froglight in Minecraft
Once you have collected the necessary items, follow the steps below to make a froglight in the latest 1.19 update:
1. First, you need to find a frog that only spawns in the mangrove swamp or regular swamp biomes. You can use our guide on how to find frogs in Minecraft to reach one.
2. Once you find a frog, right-click on it while holding a lead. Doing so will put a lead on the frog’s neck, making it follow you around.
3. Then, create a Nether portal, activate it, and step into it while having the frog connected to the lead. You can use our linked guide if you aren’t familiar with the portal-making process.
4. Once you are inside the Nether portal, you need to look for magma cubes. They most commonly spawn in Nether wastes, basalt deltas, Nether fortress, and bastion remnants. You can do this step before bringing the frog to the Nether or cover it with blocks on all sides while looking for magma cubes.
5. Then, start killing bigger Magma cubes until you are left only with smaller cubes. Do keep in mind that the magma cubes are hostile and will attack you. Finally, bring a frog close to the smaller magma cubes and wait for it to eat them. Once the frog eats a magma cube, you will get a froglight related to that frog. For example – we get purple froglight as we took the white warm frog to the Nether.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can you tame frogs in Minecraft?
Frogs cannot be tamed in Minecraft. But you can still capture, feed, and breed them.
What are Minecraft froglights for?
The froglights are only a source of light. You can use them to light up your base with three different colors.
How do you make froglights in Minecraft?
Froglights are dropped by frogs when they eat small magma cubes. There is no crafting recipe for froglights.
Make and Use a Froglight in Minecraft Today
With that, you now have access to a powerful and good-looking source of light in Minecraft. But don’t stop until you have collected all of its three variants. In case you want a headstart while looking for frogs, check our list of best mangrove swamp seeds. Our list not only contains the swamp biomes where frogs spawn but also seeds with tons of amazing unique features and glitches. You can use the coordinates in the linked guide to reach key locations by teleporting in Minecraft. With that said, which is your favorite type of froglight? Mine is pearlescent, the purple one. Share yours in the comments below!
why is it so hard