Group chats serve as a convenient way to send and receive messages, videos, and even perform audio and video calls without having to manually reach out to everyone. Like most social platforms, Snapchat has a group chats feature. And in this article, we will take a look at how you can create a group chat on Snapchat.
Make a Group Chat on Snapchat (2022)
How to Create Group on Snapchat
1. Open Snapchat and navigate to the “Chat” tab from the bottom navigation bar. Then, tap the “Chat” floating action button at the bottom-right corner of the screen. Now, tap on “New Group” to start the group creation process.
2. Pick the contacts you would like to add to your group and tap the “Chat with Group” button.
3. You can name your Snapchat group chat by tapping the “New Group” option with the pencil icon at the top of the screen.
4. And that’s it. You have successfully created a Snapchat group that you can use to chat and send Snaps to your friends.
How to Manage a Snapchat Group Chat
Unlike traditional messaging platforms, Snapchat doesn’t give additional powers to group creators. In fact, you can’t even remove someone from the group or delete the group even if you are the creator of the Snapchat group. Having said that, here’s what you can do to manage your Snapchat group:
Add New Members to a Snapchat Group
If you are planning to add new members to your Snapchat group, there are two ways to do it — adding from the contacts list and through an invite link. Let’s learn how both of these methods work right here:
1. To add a member from your contacts list, open group settings by tapping on the profile icon, tap “Add Members“, and pick the contacts from the list that appears now.
2. You can also share an invite link of the group with friends and family. Here’s how that works. Open Snapchat group settings, tap “Invite Via Link”, followed by “Invite” in the pop-up window. Then, you can share the Snapchat group chat invite link via your favorite messaging app like WhatsApp.
Mute Notifications in Snapchat Group
1. If you are overwhelmed by the frequency of message notifications in the Snapchat group, you can choose to mute them. From the group settings page, tap the vertical three-dots menu at the top-right corner, and choose “Message Notifications”.
2. Here, you can choose to enable notifications for all messages, tagged messages (aka mentions), or mute all of them. Pick the appropriate setting based on your needs, and you’re all set.
How to Leave Snapchat Group Chat
Feel you no longer belong in a specific group chat on Snapchat? Here’s how to leave it:
Open Snapchat group settings, tap on the vertical three dots menu at the top-right corner and choose “Leave Group” from the pop-up menu. Snaps and chats you have sent in the group so far will automatically get cleared when you leave the group.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: How to remove someone from a Snapchat group?
Unfortunately, Snapchat doesn’t let you remove members from the group, even if you are the creator of the group. Hence, you will have to either ask the person to leave or start a new group, excluding the person you would like to remove from your Snapchat group chat.
Q: How many users can I add to a Snapchat group?
According to Snapchat’s support post, you can add up to 100 users to a single Snapchat group.
Q: How to delete a Snapchat group?
Snapchat doesn’t have an option to let you directly delete a group. If you are no longer interested to be a part of a group, you can choose to leave it. We have added the instructions to leave a Snapchat group in this tutorial.
Add Friends to Group Chat on Snapchat
Group chats in Snapchat will help you stay connected with your buddies and make sharing Snaps easier. If you are a new Snapchat user, we hope this beginner guide helped you set up a new group chat in the app. While you are at it, do not forget to check out our guides on finding your Snapchat score and changing your Snapchat username. And if you have any questions, feel free to share them with us in the comments below.