Xiaomi’s MIUI ROM which it uses on its devices is one of the most polarising ROMs in the market. People either hate it or love it, there’s no middle ground in between. However, even if you fall in the latter category, you will accept the fact that the ROM’s notification management is broken. I mean it’s not iOS notification Center bad, but it’s also not as good as the one that comes with the stock Android. If you also feel the same way, you will be happy to know that, there’s a simple method that you can use to bring the Stock Android Notification Center to your MIUI ROM without having to give up on excellent features that the ROM is known for. So, let’s see how we can do that, shall we? Here is how to get stock Android-like Notification Center in MIUI:
Note: This app is not compatible with devices running on the latest Android Oreo (8.0). However, it works perfectly on devices running any Android firmware between Andriod 5.0 (Lollipop) and Android 7.1.1 (Nougat). I tried in our Mi Mix 2 running MIUI 9 and Redmi Note 4 running MIUI 8 and the method worked fine on both the devices.
Get Stock Android-like Notification Center in MIUI
It’s going to be a very easy tutorial and won’t take much of your time, so, take out your phone and let’s get started:
1. To get the stock Android-like Notification Center in MIUI, we will be using a third-party app dubbed Material Notification Shade. So, first, download and install the free app right away.
2. Now, launch the app. On the app’s homepage, we can change various settings. First of all, we will grant the app the necessary permissions to work. To do that, tap the on/off toggle present at the top of the app’s screen (marked in picture).
3. Now tap on all the three required permissions and grant them by following the steps shown on your smartphone.
4. After you have granted the necessary permissions, tap on the “Done” button.
5. As you can see, we can configure a lot of things here including Themes, Colors, Layout and more. While the basic functionality of the app is free, some of the configuration settings are kept behind a paid barrier. Thankfully, the Pro version of the app is pretty cheap and will cost you only $1.99.
6. Let’s configure the Themes settings and then you can play with the rest. First, tap on “Panel Theme” and select the one you want. I am going to go with the Oreo theme.
7. Next tap on the “Notification theme” button and select the one you want. I am going to go for the dark theme.
Similarly, you can configure the rest of the options as per your liking. The best part about this app is that not only it skins the Notification Panel but also brings the features of the stock Android Notification Panel. For example, it will let you expand notifications with just one finger swipe and also reply from the Notification Panel without launching the app. Let’s see how the Notification Panel looks just with the changes that we have made till now. The below picture shows both the original MIUI Notification Panel and the new one that we created side by side.
The app not only makes your notifications look good but also give you extra functionalities. However, in my testing, I have discovered a bug in the app. If you swipe anywhere on your screen to bring the notification shade, the app doesn’t take over, and you see the original notification panel of the MIUI. However, if you swipe from the top, it will work flawlessly. Depending on how you see it, it might be a bug, or a feature for you.
Get Stock Android-like Notification Shade in MIUI 9 or MIUI 8
As you can see, the app works perfectly fine other than a small hiccup which we have mentioned above. If you are on MIUI, this could solve a lot of problems for you. My favourite feature of this app is that it allows me to expand the notifications with just a single finger swipe, allowing me to use my phone one-handed. How about you? Try this app and do let me know what you like and don’t like about this app in the comments section below. Also tell us, if you love MIUI or are stuck using it because you love Xiaomi’s hardware.