Unlike other popular social media platforms like Facebook and Instagram, Snapchat can be an overwhelming place for many. As someone who can’t keep up with the never-ending grind for Snapstreaks and filters, I often tend to reinstall the app on a monthly basis to know what my friends are up to. Whether you are someone who doesn’t want to experience the peer pressure to keep Snapstreaks going or just looking for a way to take a break from the messaging platform, you have come to the right place. In this in-depth article, we will learn how you can deactivate or delete your Snapchat account.
Deactivate or Delete Snapchat Account (2022)
Alongside instructions to deactivate and delete your Snapchat account, we have also added the steps to download your Snapchat data. If you are planning to permanently delete your Snapchat account, you could consider requesting your account data in case you need it later.
Download Snapchat Data Before Deleting Account
Before deactivating or deleting your Snapchat account, you can choose to download a copy of your data. Here’s how to do it:
1. Sign in to Snapchat’s accounts portal in a desktop or mobile browser and click the “My Data” button.
2. Scroll down until the end and click the “Submit Request” button to request your Snapchat data.
3. You will now see a confirmation message acknowledging the request. Based on the data volume, it might take a while to receive the email with details to download your Snapchat data. You can then proceed to delete your Snapchat account.
Data You Can Download from Snapchat
In case you are wondering, Snapchat’s email with your data will include the following details:
- Login History and Account Information
- Basic Information
- Device Information
- Device History
- Login History
- Account Deactivated/Reactivated
- Snap History
- Received Snap History
- Sent Snap History
- Chat History
- Received Chat History
- Sent Chat History
- Our Story and Spotlight Content
- Purchase History
- In-App Purchases
- On Demand Geofilters
- Shop History
- Snapchat Support History
- User Profile
- App Profile
- Discover Channels Viewed
- Breakdown of Time Spent on App
- Ads You Interacted With
- Interest Categories
- Web Interactions
- App Interactions
- Public Profile
- Friends List
- Friend Requests Sent
- Blocked Users
- Deleted Friends
- Hidden Friend Suggestions
- Ignored Snapchatters
- Story History
- Your Story Views
- Friend and Public Story Views
- Account History
- Display Name Change
- Email Change
- Mobile Number Change
- Password Change
- Snapchat Linked to Bitmoji
- Two-Factor Authentication
- Frequent Locations
- Latest Location
- Business and public places you may have visited
- Areas you may have visited in the last two years
- Search History
- Terms History
- Basic Information
- Terms Acceptance History
- Keyboard Enable History
- In App Surveys
- Reported Content
- Bitmoji Kit
- Connected Apps
- Connected Applications
- Talk History
- Ads Manager
- Snap Games & Minis
- My Lenses
- Email Campaign History
- Snap Tokens
- Snap Map Places
How to Deactivate Snapchat Account
1. Open the Snapchat accounts portal and click on “Delete My Account”.
2. Enter your Snapchat credentials, namely username & password, and click “Continue” to proceed further.
3. And that’s it. You will now see a confirmation message saying your Snapchat account will soon get deactivated. In case you change your mind, you can reactivate your Snapchat account in 30 days. Check the next section for instructions to reactivate your Snapchat account.
How to Reactivate Snapchat Account
If you regret your decision to move away from Snapchat, you can get your account back. The catch here is that you will have to reactivate your account within 30 days. According to the company’s support page, your account will stay deactivated for the first 30 days and permanently deleted after an additional 30 days.
However, we saw conflicting information suggesting that you get 180 days to reactivate the account from the reactivation screen (as shown in screenshots below). There seems to be an internal miscommunication here, and it’s safe to assume the existing 60 days deadline for now. With that said, here’s how you can reactivate your Snapchat account:
1. Reactivating your Snapchat account is straightforward. All you have to do is sign in to the app again using your username and password.
2. From the reactivation confirmation prompt, tap “Yes”, and you can access your account once again. As mentioned earlier, it’s not entirely clear if Snapchat has revised the deadline to reactivate the account. We have reached out to Snapchat for confirmation and will update this article if we hear back.
How to Delete Snapchat Account
If you are completely done with Snapchat and think you are better off without it, you can choose to delete your account instead. The steps to deactivate and delete the account are the same, but you can check out the instructions below for the sake of clarity.
1. Visit Snapchat’s web account portal and click on “Delete My Account“.
2. From the next page, enter your username and password, and click the yellow “Continue” button.
3. You have successfully deleted your Snapchat account. As long as you don’t manually reactivate your account later (within the stipulated reactivation period), Snapchat will eventually delete your account for good.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Q. What’s the Difference Between Deleting and Deactivating Snapchat?
Deactivating your Snapchat account gives you the option to reactivate it within 30 days. On the other hand, deleting your Snapchat account is permanent and irreversible. However, the method to deactivate and delete is the same.
Q: How Do You Permanently Delete a Snapchat Account in 2022?
You can permanently delete your Snapchat account from the company’s web portal. You can check the above section for detailed instructions to delete your Snapchat account.
Q. How Do I Delete My Snapchat Account on My Phone?
It’s easy to delete your Snapchat account on your smartphone. While you cannot do it from within the app, open the Snapchat web accounts portal in a mobile browser and follow the steps detailed above in this guide.
Q: How Can I Reactivate My Snapchat Account?
Once deactivated, you have the option to reactivate your Snapchat account within 30 days. All you have to do is log in with your Snapchat credentials to get your account back within this time period.
Q: How Do You Know If Someone Deleted Their Snapchat Account?
You can check if someone has deleted their Snapchat account by searching their username. If it doesn’t appear, chances are, they have deleted their Snapchat account.
Q: How to Recover My Snapchat Account?
You can recover your Snapchat account if you have lost the password or username. We have a dedicated article to recover Snapchat account that you can check out.
Easily Deactivate or Delete Your Snapchat Account
While it’s disappointing that Snapchat doesn’t have an in-app option to easily deactivate or delete an account, you can always head to the company’s web accounts portal to do so. If you were planning to do just that, we hope this guide helped you. In case you have any queries when it comes to getting rid of your Snapchat account, let us know in the comments below, and we will try to help you out.