Twitter is rolling out a new way to let users remove followers who they don’t want to see their tweets. With this new feature, Twitter users can choose to get rid of followers without having to block them. This feature should help curb targeted harassment, at least to a certain extent, and that’s exactly what Twitter hopes for with this rollout. So today, we will take a look at the steps involved to stop someone from following you on Twitter.
Remove Your Followers on Twitter (2021)
The option to remove followers is limited to the web version of Twitter at the moment. On Android and iOS apps, you will have to rely on the age-old technique of blocking and unblocking a person to remove them from your followers list. With that out of the way, here’s how you can get rid of your problematic Twitter followers.
Method 1: Remove Twitter Followers from User Profile
1. Open your Twitter account in your preferred web browser and open the profile of the person you would like to kick from your followers list. Here, click on the horizontal three dots menu to the left of the DM or Follow button.
2. From the list of options that appear, choose the newly added ‘Remove this follower’ option.
3. When the confirmation prompt appears, click the red ‘Remove’ button. And that’s it. With just two clicks, you have successfully removed one of your followers.
Now, it is worth mentioning that Twitter won’t notify the follower about your decision to remove them from your follower list. They will no longer see your tweets on their timeline. However, you should remember that the person can choose to follow you again. If you don’t want any more interactions, you should consider blocking the user (explained down below).
Method 2: Remove Users via Your Twitter Followers List
Twitter is also testing an option to let users directly remove followers from the followers list on their profile. But this option is not widely available just yet. Once available, you can follow the steps below to easily remove followers on Twitter.
1. Open your Twitter profile and click on the followers count to view your entire list of followers.
2. Here, you will see a new three-dots menu with options to share, mute, report, and block profiles, along with a new option to remove followers. Click on the three-dots menu and choose ‘Remove this follower’.
3. From the confirmation prompt, click the ‘Remove’ button to remove the person from your followers list. You can go through the entire list and remove as many followers as you would like.
Method 3: Remove Twitter Followers by Blocking Account
If you prefer to never be bothered by a certain someone on Twitter again or haven’t received the feature just yet, you can choose to block the account instead. Follow the steps below to block someone on Twitter:
1. Open the profile of the person you would like to block and click on the three dots menu to view the option to block the user.
2. From the list of options that appear, click on ‘Block <username>’.
3. When the confirmation pop-up appears, hit ‘Block’ again to finally block the Twitter user and remove them from your follower list.
Remove Unwanted Twitter Followers in a Few Easy Steps
So that was our short guide on how to remove Twitter followers. Although the idea of the feature is simple, it should help avoid negative interactions on the platform. For more such tips, do not forget to take a look at our article on the best Twitter tips and tricks. Also, while you are at it, learn how to use Twitter Spaces like a pro with our dedicated in-depth guide.