Given the scope and scale of Starfield, Bethesda has ensured there are multiple ways to travel in the game. In addition to simple fast travel mechanics in Starfield, Grav Jump is another feature that you can use to travel across planets and solar systems in-game. This feature was heavily showcased by the developers, as it ensures that players don’t find it tedious to explore the 1,000+ planets in Starfield during space exploration. However, the method to grav jump can get confusing for newbie players. So, in this article, we will teach you the step-by-step process to grav jump your ship in Starfield.
While the systems can look daunting because of the various UI elements in the game, the method is easy. It follows the age-old tradition of Bethesda introducing approachable game mechanics. The first thing that Starfield teaches you is to perform a Grav Jump. However, it only explains the grave jumping for a mission, so might not get it only the first try. So, let’s look at the two ways you can Grav Jump in Starfield.
1. Grav Jump to a Mission Star System
The game makes you Grav Jump to various star systems for missions. Jemison is the first one, which is the home of New Atlantis. This planet is located in the Alpha Centauri system. To do this or when you have a mission to progress, follow the following steps:
- Take off on the Frontier. This is the ship loaned to you by Barrett.
- Once in the orbit, open up the Star system by pressing the M button on the keyboard. This will bring up the map.
- Press Tab twice to zoom out to the star system map. Here, select the star system you are meant to jump into by clicking on them.
- Once you select the Star System, hold X to start the Grav Jump in Starfield.
- Over at the pilot seat, transfer power to the Grav Jump drive. To do it, drop the power from other systems by navigating to it using arrow keys (bottom left). Then, re-transfer that power to Grav Jump by reallocating the power we have.
Doing so will make you Grav Jump and reach a new star system in Starfield. From here, you can land on any of the planets mentioned in the star system of your volition.
2. Grav Jump to a Random Star System
Starfield lets you explore the star system at your leisure. After all, you are a member of Constellation, a collective of explorers. You need to remember a few things to Grav Jump to a random star system. You cannot travel to a random unexplored star system directly. There needs to be a charted course to do that. To solve this issue, travel to the nearest system. Then, the game allows you to travel to your desired Star system. Once you do that, the process is as simple as above.
Another thing to remember is the fuel consumption. To do continuous route charting in Starfield, you will need to upgrade your fuel tank for the same at a ship merchant. Only then do you not have to visit the nearby star systems to fly to an uncharted one. Furthermore, fuel determines your journey length. You don’t have to worry about refueling and exhausting it, as the game automatically performs refueling when entering a star system.