Not many know this, but Windows 10 has a Password Expiry feature that discontinues your password after a certain number of days. Microsoft believes that periodic password expiration protects the user from unauthorized access. While the feature surely sounds good, but most of the time, it ends up being a hassle to many users. So in this article, we bring you a one-stop guide to fix the “Windows 10 password expired” error once and for all. And in case, you want to customize the number of days for password expiry then you can do that as well. With all that said, let’s now go ahead and learn about the steps.
Resolve Expired Password on Windows 10
1. First of all, if you are getting “Your password has expired and must be changed” error then there is nothing to worry. Just click on the “OK” button and Windows will allow you to change the password then and there. Keep in mind, you will have to enter the old password.
2. Once you are logged in with a new password, now disable the Windows password expiry feature so that it does not occur again. Right-click on “My Computer” or “This PC” and open “Manage”.
3. It will open the Computer Management window. Here, expand the “Local Users and Groups” menu and open “Users”. Now, right-click on your username and open “Properties”.
4. Now simply, untick the “Password never expires” checkbox and click on the “OK” button. That’s it. Now onwards, your password on Windows 10 will not expire.
5. In case, you don’t want to outright disable this feature then you can extend the number of days after which the password will expire on Windows 10. Press the Windows key once and type “group” in the search bar. Now open “Edit Group Policy”.
Note: This option is only available to Windows 10 Pro users.
6. Here, navigate to Computer Configuration -> Windows Settings -> Security Settings -> Account Policies -> Password Policy.
7. Now, double-click on “Maximum password age” and increase the number of days according to your preference. After that, click on the “OK” button and you are done.
Fix Your Password has Expired and Must be Changed Error
So that is how you can resolve the password expiry error on Windows 10. The good part is that Windows allows you to change the password if you remember the old password. This ensures that you don’t have to go through any hacky solution. After that, you are free to disable the feature or customize the number of days. In this article, we have mentioned both the methods so you can easily make the changes, according to your preferences. Anyway, that is all from us. If you found this guide helpful then do comment down below and let us know.