Even though the latest Meta Quest 3 headset has been released, the previous Oculus Quest 2 remains popular as ever. Gamers around the globe use this headset to play the best virtual reality games to have endless fun. However, while playing those games, it is all too common to break a controller accidentally. If you have got a replacement but don’t know how to pair it, this guide is for you. So follow along as we show you how to pair a new controller to the Oculus (Meta) Quest 2.
Prerequisites to Pair a Controller to Oculus Quest 2
1. Paired Meta Quest App
We will be using the companion Meta Quest app to pair a new controller to the Oculus Quest 2. With that said, you will need to download and pair it to your headset if you haven’t already. While it might sound tedious, it’s actually quite easy. Just download the Meta Quest app (Android & iOS), log in to your Facebook account, and keep your headset on and nearby. It will detect it and pair it automatically.
2. A Replacement Controller
It also goes without saying that you need to have a replacement controller ready if your existing one is broken or non-functional. You can go ahead and buy a Meta Quest 2 controller through the official link here. A single controller costs $74.99. On the off chance your controller is just out of battery, learn how to charge Oculus Quest 2 controllers first and check.
How to Pair Meta Quest 2 Controller
Step 1: Head to Meta Quest Devices Menu
Let’s begin by opening the Meta Quest app and heading to the relevant setting. Follow the steps to proceed:
- Open the Meta Quest app and tap on the Menu button (☰) in the bottom right.
- You will now be at the control center screen. Tap on the Devices icon.
- Here you can see your Oculus Quest 2’s status in real-time and even control it. Tap on the Headset settings option.
- Now, tap on the Controllers option to begin the pairing process.
Step 2: Unpair the Old Controller
- Tap the Pair new controller option to choose the correct controller.
- You will now see the option to choose which controller to pair. In our case, we will tap the Pair Meta Quest 2 left controller option. Choose your option to proceed.
- If you have a connected controller, you will be asked to unpair it. Simply tap on the Continue button to do so.
Step 3: Pair the New Controller
- Now is the time to pair the new controller. Press and hold down the Menu and Y buttons on your left controller until you see the white light on the controller ring glow. For the right controller, it will be the Oculus and B buttons.
- As soon as that’s done, you will see a message confirming the successful pairing. Tap on the Next button to proceed.
- You will now see a final confirmation message signifying that the pairing has been completed. Finally, click the Close button to finish the process.
And that’s how easy it is to successfully pair a new controller to the Meta/Oculus Quest 2. You can follow the above steps as many times as necessary to pair a new set of controllers.
How to Unpair a Controller from Oculus Quest 2
Conversely, you can also unpair your Oculus Quest 2 controller if you feel it isn’t performing as you would like. The process remains quite simple. Follow the steps until Step 2’s first section, and then read through the steps below.
- Once on the controller screen, tap the controller you want to unpair.
- You will now see the controller information along with a button. Click on the Unpair Controller button to bring up a menu.
- On the popup that comes up, tap the Unpair button to fully unpair the controller from the Oculus Quest 2. That’s it.