Having a nice-looking custom background during video calls has (sort of) become a habit for me. What started out as a fun experiment initially during Zoom video calls has turned into a very useful way to keep the real background out of sight. Whether it’s hiding unwanted people from the scene or preventing anyone from having a look at a not-so-attractive interior, a virtual background has a role to play. Beyond privacy, it adds a bit of luster to your personal chat, especially when you are in a free-wheeling chat with your loved ones. If that’s what you are after, here is how you can set a custom background on Skype video calls.
Customize Background for Skype Video Calls on Mac, Windows, Linux, and Web
Bear in mind, setting a virtual background on Skype video calls requires you to be running the latest version of the app (version 126.96.36.199 or later). So, make sure to update the video-calling app on your computer before trying out this feature.
Notably, Skype allows you to customize the background for both specific and all video calls. If you are fond of custom backgrounds and wish to make them appear for all of your video calls, you can do so with ease. But if you would rather choose it depending on your mood, it hardly takes a couple of clicks to get a funky background up and running.
Change Background for Specific Skype Video Calls
- Launch Skype on your computer and start a video call as usual.
2. Now, either click on the More menu (three dots) or hover the mouse over the video button.
3. Next, click on Choose background effect.
4. Next up, you can add a new image as the background for the video calling or choose the one you had previously added. If you want to set your own image, click on the three-dots, and then hit the “+” button. After that, choose your favorite image from the photo library.
Voila! The change will come into effect instantly, giving an all-new look to the background.
Note: It’s worth noting that you also have the option to blur the background. Simply click on the Blur option to take the attention away from the background.
Set Up a Custom Background for All Your Skype Calls
- Launch Skype on your device and click on your profile photo.
2. Now, click on the three dots and choose Settings.
3. Next, click on Audio & Video.
4. Next, you can choose to add a new image as the virtual background for your skype. Depending on your needs, you can also choose the image which you had added previously.
If you wish to set your own image as the background, click on the three dots, and then hit the “+” button. After that, select the image you want to use as the background for your Skype video call. And yes, there is an option to blur the background for all the video calls.
Use a Virtual Background for Skype Video Calls
That’s all there is to it! Now that you know how to customize the background effect for Skype video calls, make the most of it to bring a lot of fun to your video calling. Apart from adding a humor quotient, it can also come in handy for offering the needed privacy.
Despite the stiff competition from the likes of Zoom, FaceTime, WhatsApp, and Viber, Skype remains one of the most loved video-calling apps. What do you think of Skype and what are the areas where it needs to improve to become even better.