Mining, as the name tells, is a major part of Minecraft. You mine for ore, mine to discover dimensions, and even mine to build a house. But after mere minutes of mining, most of your tools wear out. If you continue using them, they will break and vanish before you even complete mining another block. At such a point, the worn-out tools seem better thrown than used. But, don’t give up your hopes just yet. If you know how to make a Blast Furnace in Minecraft, you get access to the easiest recycling system in the game. So, let’s learn how to make and use a Blast Furnace in Minecraft with ease.
Make a Blast Furnace in Minecraft (2022)
Giving an upgrade to the general furnace, you can use a Blast Furnace to smelt ore blocks and even existing tools and armors into ingots. These ingots can then be used to make new tools and armor. This is the only tool that allows you to reshape your existing items.
Why Do You Need a Blast Furnace in Minecraft?
This tool is useful to make in each Minecraft biomes and lets you morph your existing and even worn-out tools into new ones. You probably have been in a situation where you accidentally created a tool that you don’t need. I counter that in every other game. Thankfully, having a Blast Furnace is an almost perfect counter for the same. If making unique tools seem too much work, there’s always the option to install Forge to use Mods in the game. But you might not require them after completing this tutorial.
A blast furnace lets you melt existing gear into ingots. These are useful for recreating better tools without finding new ores each time you need a new item. It can be a handy way to upgrade run-down tools. The Blast Furnace can also melt ore blocks faster than a regular furnace. Though, do keep in mind that it can’t be used to cook food as a regular furnace. If there is an armorer in a village, you can naturally find a blast furnace too. Other than some selected Minecraft seeds, it is a rare occurrence. So, let’s focus on crafting our own blast furnace first.
Materials Required to Make a Blast Furnace
For crafting a Blast furnace, you will require three somewhat related items. The main ingredients are:
- 1 furnace
- 5 iron ingots
- 3 smooth stone blocks
However, both iron ingots and smooth stone are attained by smelting iron ore and regular stone respectively. For smelting them you will require a regular furnace first so let’s figure out how to make one.
Craft a Furnace
1. To begin, you need to make a Crafting Table in Minecraft. You can use it to create a wooden pickaxe using sicks, wooden planks, and the following recipe.
2. Now, you need to find and mine cobblestone in Minecraft. Cobblestone is a common block and we can use it to make furnaces as well as smooth stones. Once you have 8 blocks of cobblestone, place them in a hollow square position on the crafting table. Doing so will result in a furnace. You can do the same using Blackstone blocks too on the Java edition.
Get Other Ingredients
1. Next, place the furnace on the ground by using the secondary action key or the right-click button. Then, use the right-click again to open the furnace and place the cobblestone in the upper slot. In the bottom slot, you need to place a flammable fuel block for the smoothening process to begin. You can use wood, wooden planks, coal, or any other flammable block. A blast furnace requires 3 smooth stone blocks and all can be generated in the same manner.
2. Finally, the last item you need is iron ingots. You have to mine iron ore blocks with a stone or higher pickaxe. Any cobblestones that you have left can be used here along with sticks to make a pickaxe. Additionally, our Minecraft ore distribution guide can help you find iron ores easily.
3. Once you are done mining enough iron ones, you need to place them in the upper slot of the furnace to smelt them. Like cobblestone, smelting iron ore gives you iron ingots. You need a total of 5 iron ingots for a blast furnace.
How to Make a Blast Furnace in Minecraft
Once you have 1 Furnace, 5 Iron Ingots, and 3 Smooth Stone Blocks, all you need to do is put them together on a crafting table.
1. First, you need to pick up the furnace you had placed earlier. If mined without a pickaxe in the Java edition, it will not drop anything. You can use your hand or any other tool to mine it on the Bedrock edition.
2. Next, you need to open your crafting table by right–clicking or using the secondary action button on it. Here, place the furnace in the center slot of the crafting area. Then in the bottom row, place all the smooth stone blocks. Finally, put all the iron ingots in the empty slots on the upper and the medium row of the crafting area.
3. Now, just like the crafting table you can place it on the ground too. To do so, use right-click or use the secondary action button while looking at the ground and equipping the Blast Furnace. It looks and works in a very similar fashion to the regular furnace.
How to Use a Blast Furnace in Minecraft
Now that you have a Blast Furnace ready and placed, it’s time to learn how to use it. While creating it, you have already used a regular furnace. Most of the processes are the same. Let’s see a few use cases to understand it better.
Use-Case 1: Smelting Ores
To get started, right-click on the placed Blast Furnace to open up its interface. It looks the same as a regular furnace’s interface. On the bottom column, you can place the fuel blocks which are still limited to wood, coal, planks, and similar items. You can find a complete list of fuels here.
To smelt ores, you can place them in the top column. Once smelted, you can collect them from the column on the right. Keep in mind that iron and gold are the only ores you can smelt in it.
Use-Case 2: Smelting Items
Just like the ores, you can also smelt metal items in the Blast Furnace. You are allowed to smelt tools, weapons, and armor made out of iron, gold, or chainmail. As a result of smelting, you get one metal nugget for each of your iron or gold tool. You can combine 9 nuggets to make an ingot. If nothing else, you can also use them as fuel on the bedrock edition.
Even though they use the same amount of fuel as a regular furnace, Blast Furnace smelts items at a very faster speed. It can be useful in many survival situations but if you want to cook food, you will have to depend upon a regular furnace or campfire.
Make the Best Use of a Blast Furnace in Minecraft
You now have everything you need to make and use a Blast Furnace in Minecraft. The same tutorial can be used on both Minecraft Java and Bedrock editions. Many players skip over this tool because of its limited functionality. But because of the limited resources used to build it, you can make use of it in many situations. However, if you are trying one of the best speedrunning seeds for Minecraft, skipping over a Blast Furnace isn’t the worst thing. Iron-based items are useful in the game and Blast Furnace makes sure none of them go to waste. Another great addition to your survival toolkit can be Optifine in Minecraft, which boosts the game’s performance. With that said, how are you planning to use a Blast Furnace in your Minecraft world? Tell us in the comments below!