After years of anticipation, we are getting the archaeology features in Minecraft 1.20 update. From new blocks to unique creations, there’s a lot for you to enjoy. But all of that starts from a single brush in Minecraft. This is the ultimate tool that you need to uncover all the amazing archaeological finds. However, before you do that, let’s figure out how to make a brush in Minecraft.
What Is a Brush in Minecraft
The brush is a brand new tool in-game that’s going to release in Minecraft 1.20 alongside other archaeology features. In many ways, it is the pinnacle upon which the entire archaeology system is based. It allows you to dust ancient blocks known as suspicious sand and suspicious gravel to unearth pottery shards, armor trims and other loot. Those shards can then be combined to make pots with unique patterns.
Items Required to Make a Brush
You need the following items to make a brush in Minecraft:
- 1 Feather
- 1 Stick
- 1 Copper Ingot
- Crafting Table
There are a variety of ways to obtain feathers in Minecraft, including chest loot, cat gifts, and more. But, we suggest you stick to the basics and kill an adult chicken to get a feather. Chickens spawn naturally throughout the grass-based biomes of Minecraft and are easy to find in plains villages. You can get up to 2 feathers from each chicken. Though, if you plan on collecting a bunch of them, we suggest you make a chicken farm in Minecraft.
Meanwhile, sticks are fairly easy to craft in Minecraft. You just need to place two wooden planks vertically next to each other in the crafting area. Alternatively, you can also get sticks by breaking dead bushes, which are common in the desert biome, among other places where you are going to need the brush.
How to Get Copper Ingot in Minecraft
Follow the steps below to get a copper ingot to make a brush in Minecraft:
1. First, you need to find copper ore blocks that spawn underground in the overworld of Minecraft. You can use our Minecraft ore distribution guide to save some time. Though, going through the caves around the mountainous biomes is usually good enough.
2. Then, use a stone pickaxe (or a better pickaxe) to mine the copper ore and obtain raw copper.
3. Finally, smelt the raw copper using any fuel of your choice in a furnace in Minecraft.
Minecraft Brush: Crafting Recipe
Once you have the required ingredients, follow the steps below to craft a brush in Minecraft:
1. First, open your crafting table by right-clicking or using the secondary action key.
2. Then, place the feather in the middle cell of the topmost row in the crafting area.
3. After that, place the copper ingot in the middle cell of the second row in the crafting area.
4. Finally, place the stick in the middle cell of the bottommost row in the crafting area. Furthermore, since this is a 3-cell recipe, you can easily recreate it in any column.
How to Use a Brush in Minecraft 1.20
Now that you have your brush ready, it’s time to uncover a bunch of mysteries with this new tool. Here’s how it works:
1. First, you need to find suspicious sand and suspicious gravel blocks. These blocks look similar to regular sand and gravel blocks but are much more grainy in texture. The easiest way to find suspicious sand is by checking the bottom of the desert wells in Minecraft.
2. Once you find a suspicious sand block, you need to equip the brush and use it on that block. Slowly but surely, the block will unveil a unique piece of loot.
Enchantments to Use with Minecraft Brush
You cannot enchant a brush the traditional way in the enchanting table in Minecraft. It has no specific and unique enchantments that can apply only to it. However, like the elytra or the shield, its durability can be improved. Use the unbreaking enchanted book to minimize the chances of the brush loosing durability, and use the mending enchanted book to be able to repair the damaged brush using XP.
You can also use the curse of vanishing enchanted book on the brush. This enchantment guarantees you lose the tool it is attached to when you die, so you don’t need it in your single player world.
How to Repair a Brush in Minecraft 1.20
As we have just mentioned, you can repair the brush using the mending enchanted book. This is the best way to repair not just your brush, but every tool, weapon, and armor in Minecraft. The other way of restoring the durability of the brush is to combine it with either another damaged brush or a full-durability brush in your two-by-two crafting interface.
When combining two damaged brushes, the durability that remained will be added together and also 5% of the total durability will be added on top of that. Though eventually, you end up with one brush instead of two. Be very careful though, not to combine an enchanted brush with a regular one in a crafting UI, since this will remove the enchantments completely. Do that in the anvil instead.
With that, you’re now ready to go on archeology expeditions around the world, so check out the best Minecraft 1.20 seeds to find the perfect way to start your exploration. There are mysterious pots, unique structures, and more new features you should check out in the said update. Also, make sure to get a camel in Minecraft to travel faster and make your life easier. Moreover, while we are unearthing ancient items, you can also use Sniffer in Minecraft to dig up some rare seeds.