Discord servers help enable effective group chats in an organized fashion through channels. If you have created a Discord server and it has garnered an active userbase, managing and moderating it can prove to be a tedious task. While you could add moderators to keep the server a safe place, one possible extreme measure is to delete the server. Today, in this article, we have detailed the steps involved to delete servers on Discord.
Delete Discord Servers (2022)
What Happens When you Delete a Discord Server?
Not everyone can delete a Discord server. The option to delete the Discord server is limited to the server owner. When a server owner decides to delete a server, it will disappear from the Discord client for everyone without any prior warning. Members won’t have the option to go through old messages on a deleted server. It’s also worth mentioning that removing a Discord server is an irreversible process. You will not be able to restore the server once you choose to delete it.
How to Delete a Discord Server Using Desktop/ Web App
1. Open your Discord server and click on the server’s name or the down arrow at the top-left corner of the app.
2. When the drop-down menu appears, choose “Server Settings” to view your Discord server’s settings.
3. From your server settings page, click on “Delete Server” present in the left sidebar.
4. Discord will now urge you to type your server’s name to confirm that you are sure about removing the server. As mentioned earlier, the process is irreversible. Type your server’s name and click “Delete Server” to permanently delete your Discord server. If you have enabled two-factor authentication, Discord will request the 2FA code from your authenticator app.
Delete Discord Server using Mobile App (Android, iOS)
1. Open your Discord server and click on the vertical three dots icon next to the server’s name. From the pop-up menu that appears now, tap “Settings” to view your server’s settings.
2. Press the three dots icon at the top-right corner of the server settings page and choose “Delete Server” to delete your server.
3. From the confirmation prompt, press “Delete” to permanently delete your Discord server.
No Longer Interested in a Discord Server? Transfer Ownership Instead
If you are not finding time to moderate or maintain the server, you can choose to transfer the server’s ownership to a willing volunteer instead. Do note that you will no longer be the server owner if you do this and be demoted to a server member. You will have to ask the new server owner if you want moderation privileges. With that out of the way, here’s how to transfer server ownership on Discord.
1. Click on your Discord server’s name and choose “Server Settings” to manage the server’s settings.
2. Switch to the “Members” section under the “User Management” header from the left sidebar and click on the vertical three dots icon next to the server member you want to make the new server owner.
3. From the drop-down menu, choose “Transfer Ownership” to retire from your server ownership duties.
4. Enable the ownership transfer toggle and click “Transfer Ownership” to finally transfer your server ownership.
Transfer Server Ownership on Discord Mobile (Android, iOS)
1. Press the vertical three dots icon next to the server’s name and choose “Settings” to access the server’s settings page.
2. Scroll down until you find “Members” and tap on the new server owner’s name.
3. Now, tap on “Transfer Ownership” and press “Transfer” after enabling the acknowledgment toggle. Your server will now get deleted.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Who can delete a Discord server?
Only the server owner has the option to delete a Discord server. You can’t delete a server even if you have administrator privileges.
Q: Can members access messages on deleted Discord servers?
No, the deleted server disappears from the chats list for everyone. Members can’t view old messages on the server.
Q: How do I delete a Discord server without being an owner?
You can’t delete a Discord server if you are not the owner. You will have to either ask the server owner to delete the server or transfer the ownership.
Q: Will I get my boosts back if I delete my server?
Yes, you can transfer your Nitro boost to another server if you delete your Discord server.
Q: Can server owners leave a Discord server?
No, Discord server owners will have to transfer ownership before leaving the server.
Delete a Discord Server in Easy Steps
So, there you have it! That’s how you can delete a Discord server as a server owner. If you got rid of your Discord server due to inactivity, it might be time to join servers with an active community. If you are interested in gaming-related Discord servers, feel free to go through our dedicated lists of some of the best Fortnite servers, best Rocket League servers, best Among Us servers, best Minecraft servers, and the best Valheim servers.