Over the last few years, Microsoft has gotten aggressive with the online account requirement on both Windows 10 and 11. So much so that Microsoft altogether removed the option to create a local account on Windows 11 Home during fresh installations. And now, the company has removed the local account option for Windows 11 Pro as well, starting with Windows 11 22H2 build. Many users are frustrated with the “Offline account” option missing on both Windows 11 Home and Pro editions. Having said that, you don’t need to worry about it, as we are here to help. In this guide, we have added four ways to create a local account on Windows 11. You will be able to install Windows 11 without a Microsoft account or an internet connection. So on that note, let’s go ahead and check out the instructions.
Create a Local Account on Windows 11 (Updated September 2022)
In this tutorial, we have added multiple ways to create a local account on Windows 11, steering clear of the Microsoft account requirement. You will find multiple ways to install Windows 11 without using a Microsoft account. Expand the table below to directly move to any of the methods.
Method 1: Install Windows 11 Without a Microsoft Account (Home and Pro)
This is the easiest way to install Windows without a Microsoft account. You don’t need to open Command Prompt, run commands, or disable the internet connection here. It’s a tried-and-tested method, and it just works without any fuss. Here’s how to go about it.
1. First, connect to the Wi-Fi and proceed with the setup normally. If you have a wired Ethernet connection, keep it connected.
2. When you reach the Microsoft sign-in screen, enter
email@example.com under the email field and click on “Next”. Do not worry, it’s a locked dummy account used for bypassing the Microsoft account requirement.
3. On the next page, enter any password you like just to complete the steps. Now, click on “Sign in“.
3. Since it’s a locked account, Microsoft will straight away start setting up a local account for you. You will see an “Oops, something went wrong” error, and then you can create a local account on Windows 11. Simply click on “Next”.
4. And now, you can create a local account on Windows 11 with ease. How cool is this workaround, right? You can now use Windows 11 without logging into your Microsoft account.
Method 2: Create a Local Account on Windows 11 During Setup
If you have clean installed Windows 11 on your PC, and you are unable to create a local account during setup, blame it on Microsoft. The company is pushing users to create an online account, and the option to add a local account is no longer available for both Home and Pro editions. The “Offline account” option is missing from both editions.
Nevertheless, in this article, we will show you how to bypass all these restrictions and make a local account on Windows 11 Home and Pro editions. This way, you will be able to install Windows 11 without a Microsoft account. Here are the steps you need to follow:
Windows 11 Home Edition
1. First, connect your Windows 11 PC to a Wi-Fi network or a wired Ethernet connection. We need to do this to proceed through the initial onboarding setup. Once you reach the sign-in page, unplug the Ethernet cable or turn off the router for the time being.
2. Now that your computer is not connected to the internet, click on “Create One!” to create a new Microsoft account.
3. Since your PC is offline, Windows 11 will now be forced to offer a local account option. On the next page, give a name to your local account.
4. On the next screen, you can set a password for your PC, and that’s it. You have successfully created an offline account on Windows 11 Home during setup.
Windows 11 Pro Edition
On older editions of Windows 11 Pro, you still get the option to create an offline account during installation. If you are installing an older version (earlier than build 22557 in Dev Channel or build 22621 in the stable channel), here’s how you can access the local account option on Windows 11 Pro edition.
1. On the setup page, click on “Sign-in options“.
2. Next, click on “Offline account” and choose “Limited Experience”.
3. Finally, you can set a username and password, and a local account will be created on your Windows 11 PC. So this is how you can install Windows 11 without a Microsoft account with ease.
Method 3: Create a Local Account on Windows 11 After Installation
If you have already installed Windows 11 and wish to create a separate local account on Windows 11, follow our instructions below. It works for both Windows 11 Home and Pro users. Here are the steps you need to follow:
1. Press the Windows 11 keyboard shortcut “Windows + I” to open the Settings app. Here, move to “Accounts” from the left sidebar and select “Family and other users” on the right pane.
2. Next, click on the “Add account” button under “Other users”.
3. From the pop-up that appears, click on “I don’t have this person’s sign-in information” to create a local account.
4. After that, click on “Add a user without a Microsoft account“.
5. Now, enter the name and password for the new local account and click on “Next“. And that’s it. You have successfully set up a new local account on your Windows 11 PC.
6. You can now switch to the new local user on Windows 11 from the Start menu just like that.
Method 4: Switch From Microsoft Account to a Local Account on Windows 11
If you have signed in with your online Microsoft account on an existing Windows 11 installation and wish to move to a local account, you can do that easily. We have already published a detailed guide on how to remove a Microsoft account from Windows 11, but we will briefly demonstrate the steps for your convenience.
1. Use the “Windows + I” keyboard shortcut to open Windows Settings. Here, move to “Accounts” in the left sidebar and select “Your Info” from the right panel.
2. Under the “Account settings” section, click on “Sign in with a local account instead“.
3. A pop-up window will now open up to confirm your action. Here, click on “Next“.
4. Now, enter the PIN or password for your Microsoft account and press Enter.
5. On the next page, enter the username and password for the local account, and you are done. You will successfully move from an online Microsoft account to a local account on your Windows 11 PC instantly.
Install Windows 11 Without a Microsoft Account
So that is how you can install Windows 11 without a Microsoft account. We have included four simple methods to create a local account on Windows 11, including during the setup process, post-installation, and moving from an existing Microsoft account to a local account. With the above instructions, you can even bypass the online account requirement Microsoft has in place for Windows 11 Home and Pro. Anyway, that is pretty much it. If you are looking for the best live wallpaper apps for Windows 11, go through our curated list here. In case the Wi-Fi keeps disconnecting on your Windows 11 PC, we have a long list of solutions in the linked article. And if you have any other questions, feel free to let us know in the comments section below.