If AR Lenses on Snapchat are your thing, then there’s some good news for you, as you can now create your own custom AR Face Lenses with the recently updated Snapchat Lens Studio.
The Lens Studio tool, which previously allowed users to create World Lenses or AR effects applied to the environment, now allows users to create custom Face Lenses for completely personalized selfies.
If you’re interested in creating your own Face Lenses, you’ll first have to submit your design to Snapchat for approval and once approved you’ll be able to use your custom Face Lens. The approved Lenses will be available for other Snapchat users as well, as reported previously.
In order to help users start designing their own Lenses, Snapchat has also introduced seven AR templates, including:
- Face Paint– Focuses on face substitution, mapping a face to create art tied to facial features/structure i.e. eyes, nose, mouth, etc.; perfect for Lenses that show off makeup, costumes, and accessories.
- Photo– This template is similar to Face Paint, but only requires the creator to have a single, head-on photo of their face creation. Import that image into Lens Studio and our “Detect Face” functionality will align the image to a face Lens.
- Distort– Everything you need to give your friends a wacky new look – stretch a face in all directions, make your eyes bulge, and more. No assets required.
- Trigger– Create experiences based off of facial movements – like raising your eyebrows, blinking, opening/closing your mouth, and smile; scripting and 3D experience helpful.
- 2D Objects– Attach 2D images to your head! With 2D illustration experience, users can apply sprites to build Lenses much like our favorite dog eared Lens.
- 3D Objects– Attach 3D objects to a face or multiple faces. For multiple faces, the 3D objects for each face can be the same or different. This template also includes a helper script to play looping animation on the 3D onjects.
- Baseball Cap– Make simple adjustments to the 3D baseball cap to change the color, brim style and add a single image to make it your own in seconds.
Along with the ability to create your own Face Lenses, Lens Studio is now also integrated with GIPHY which will allow you to include animated stickers to your World and Face Lenses. If you wish to try your hand at making your own Face Lens, you can head on to this link and download Lens Studio on your Mac or PC.