With much grandeur, Microsoft has released the final update to Windows 11. In case you haven’t about it before, the new Windows 11 23H2 update brings a host of new features, including the AI-powered Copilot tool. It can read your screenshots, perform local actions, summarize web pages, and do so much more. That said, many old-school users don’t like additional bloatware that has little or no utility for their daily use. So if you want to turn off Copilot on Windows 11, here are the steps you can follow.
1. Disable Copilot via Windows 11 Settings App
Possibly the simplest way to stop using Copilot on your Windows 11 machine is through the Settings app. Follow the steps below to disable Copilot in a click:
1. Right-click on the Taskbar and open “Taskbar settings“.
2. Here, disable the “Copilot (preview)” toggle under Taskbar items, and you are done.
2. Turn Off Copilot on Windows 11 via Group Policy
Windows 11 Pro users can access the Group Policy editor and disable Copilot easily. However, if you have the Home edition of Windows 11, you can follow our guide and enable Group Policy Editor on Windows 11 Home. This is a permanent method to remove Copilot, unlike the above one which simply makes the Copilot icon disappear from the Taskbar. Here are the steps to follow.
1. Press the Windows key once and type “gpedit” in the search bar.
2. Now, open “Edit group policy” from the search results.
3. Here, in the left sidebar, expand User Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Windows Copilot.
4. Now, click on “Turn off Windows Copilot” in the right pane.
5. From the new window that opens, choose “Enabled” and click on “OK”.
6. The new Copilot feature will be disabled on your Windows 11 PC instantly.
3. Remove Copilot on Windows 11 via Registry
1. Press the Windows key and type “regedit” in the search bar.
2. Now, open the “Registry Editor” from the search results.
3. Here, paste the below path into the address field of the Registry Editor and press Enter.
4. After that, look for “ShowCopilotButton” in the right pane and double-click to open it.
5. Here, change the value date to
0 and click on OK. The Copilot button will be removed from the Taskbar right away.
That wraps up our tutorial on how to remove the AI-powered Copilot feature from the latest version of Windows, which is the Windows 11 23H2 update. That said, if you are someone who likes new and innovative features, go ahead and check out our article on the best uses of Copilot on Windows 11. It will help you do a lot of stuff on Windows 11 with much ease.