Last year, Sony made a minority investment in Discord and announced its partnership with the messaging giant to bring the Discord and PlayStation experiences closer together. As part of this effort, Discord started rolling out an option to connect your PlayStation Network (PSN) account to Discord for rich presence. In this article, we have explained how you can link your PlayStation account to Discord and display your PlayStation 4 (PS4) or PlayStation 5 (PS5) game activity in your Discord profile. But what you are here to find out is whether you can install the Discord app on PS4 and PS5. Well, the answer will disappoint you, but keep reading to find out all about how Discord works on PlayStation consoles.
Use Discord on PS4 and PS5 (2022)
We won’t run in circles in this article, but instead, tell you right off the bat that there is no native Discord app for PS4 and PS5 consoles. You cannot install Discord on your console just yet. But there’s a way to read your Discord messages on your PlayStation console, along with some tedious workarounds to get voice chat working on PS4 and PS5. So use the table below to find out how it all works.
Read Discord Messages on Your PS4 and PS5
While you don’t have a native Discord client on PlayStation 4 and 5, there is a workaround that lets you access Discord in read-only mode on your console. When we tested this method, we were not able to send messages or join voice chats. However, if you are looking for a way to check your Discord messages on PS4 and PS5, follow the steps below:
1. Launch PlayStation Party and open a chat window with your friend.
2. In the chatbox, type “www.discord.com” and send the message to a friend on your PS5. You don’t need to send a message to your friend on PS4 as it comes with an in-built browser. You can directly open Discord Web in the browser on your PS4 console.
3. You should now select the link and wait for PlayStation to open the link in a pop-up browser window.
4. You can then sign in to your Discord account with your credentials and click “Open Discord in your browser” to open the chat app on your PlayStation.
5. And that’s it! You can now read Discord messages right on your PlayStation 4 or PlayStation 5. While this method is not as convenient as a native client, it helps you quickly go through messages from your Discord gaming buddies.
Workaround to Get Discord on PS4 and PS5
While searching for a way to get Discord voice channel audio with game audio from your PS4/ PS5, we stumbled upon two workarounds. If you are adamant about using Discord on your PlayStation console and can go to any lengths for it, then these two methods should work for you. We will not go into too many details about these methods as they are cumbersome and utterly tedious. Instead, we suggest waiting for the native Discord app to start rolling out on PS4 and PS5, which should happen really soon in the next 4-5 months.
As for the workarounds, let me give you a brief on how to forcefully run Discord to talk with friends on your Playstation console:
1. One of the most popular ways to use Discord, especially to join voice channels, while listening to game audio on your PS4/ PS5 requires you to buy an Astro MixAmp Pro TR ($129.99 on Amazon). You will also need a compatible pair of headphones that you can connect over USB, along with a PC with Discord installed on it.
Once you have all these things, you need to create a cross-platform connection between your PS5 and PC. This way, you can talk to your friends while playing your favorite game on your PlayStation console. Check out this YouTube video for detailed instructions.
2. The other workaround doesn’t cost as much money but is still cumbersome. Here, you need to use PS Remote Play to access your games on your Android or iOS smartphone. As explained in a video by creator Octorious, make a secondary PS account, set it as your default, and log into the PS Remote Play app using this account. Then, connect your headset to your phone, join a Discord voice channel, and connect to your PS4/ PS5 using the Remote Play app.
Now, you should be able to hear both Discord and console audio via your phone, but you might experience some latency. To reduce latency, the creator suggests using the lowest possible stream quality to free up bandwidth. You can then pick up your PS controller to jump into the action while talking to your friends on Discord.
If you don’t want all this hassle, we suggest you queue up with friends who own a PlayStation console. You can then create a party and play with friends on your PS5. Use the linked guide to learn how that works.
Connect PlayStation Network Account to Discord
If you are interested in connecting your PlayStation Network to Discord and highlighting your PS4/ Ps5 game status for others to see in the chat app, follow the steps below:
1. Open Discord and click on the Settings gear icon at the bottom-left corner of the screen to open the app’s Settings page.
2. From the left sidebar on the Settings page, click on “Connections” to view the list of all available Discord integrations.
3. Up next, click on PlayStation Network’s logo under the “Connect Your Accounts” section to link your Sony account with Discord.
4. From the sign-in page that appears, log in with your PlayStation account’s credentials and click “Sign In”.
5. You will now see your PS account details on Discord’s Connections page. Here, you can choose to display your PSN account on your profile and display your game activity as your Discord status.
6. After connecting your PlayStation account to Discord, here’s what your friends will see when you are playing one of the best PlayStation 5 (PS5) games.
PlayStation Status on Discord Not Working? Change Privacy Settings on PSN
In case you are not seeing your PlayStation activity on Discord even after linking your PSN account, chances are that it’s due to your PSN privacy settings. Here’s how to change your privacy settings on PlayStation Network:
1. Open Sony’s account management page in a browser and switch to “Privacy Settings” from the left sidebar.
2. Expand the “Personal Info | Messaging” section under privacy settings and click the “Edit” button next to “Online Status and Now Playing”.
3. Change the privacy from “Friends Only” to “Anyone”, click “Save”, and you are all set! Users can now see your PS5/ PS4 game activity on Discord.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Is there a Discord app on PlayStation 5?
No, the Discord app is not available on PS5. As part of Discord’s partnership with Sony, you can link your PlayStation Network account to Discord. It lets you show off your game activity to friends on the chat app.
Q: How to link the PlayStation account to Discord?
You can link your PlayStation account to Discord from Discord’s Connections page. We have explained the steps involved to connect your PlayStation and Discord accounts in this article.
Q: When is Discord coming to PS5?
At this moment, there is no exact date on when you could expect the Discord app on PS5 and PS4. However, the company mentions it will “continue [the] partnership with PlayStation and explore how we can collectively create great shared experiences.”
Discord Integration on PlayStation 5 and 4
So that’s how you can connect your PlayStation account to Discord to show your gaming activity on your account. While it’s great to see that you can now add PlayStation games as Discord rich presence, we hope the partnership yields better results like a native Discord PS5 app in the coming months. Until then, you can use this Discord integration to keep your friends updated with all your gaming shenanigans. And if you don’t mind jumping through many hoops to use the chat app while gaming on your PS4 or PS5, you can try out one of the workarounds we have mentioned above. In case you are looking for new PS5 games to play, check our linked guide for the best PlayStation 5 games.