Though macOS had got widgets way back in 2014 with the launch of OS X Yosemite, they were quite limited in terms of functionality and customization just like their iOS counterparts. But things have changed big time with the introduction of macOS Big Sur. For a change, the new widgets are not just more functional but also offer some customization for a personalized experience. So, if you are willing to learn how to use widgets in macOS Big Sur on your Mac, you have arrived at the right place.
Tips to Customize Widgets in macOS Big Sur
Expectedly, macOS Big Sur widgets work in sync with iOS 14‘s widgets. So, you can choose the preferred size and even customize them. Though macOS doesn’t let you place widgets on the desktop right now, things might change later given how aggressively Apple wants to enhance widgets experience.
Right now, the widgets library doesn’t boast a massive collection. But you should expect the library to get a ton of cool widgets sooner than later. Notably, if you have a universal iOS app that comes with a widget, you will be able to use its widget on Mac as well.
Quick Links of the Topics Covered Below
- Access Widgets on Your Mac
- Add a Widget to Notification Center on your Mac
- Perfectly Rearrange Widgets in the Notification Center
- Remove Widgets from Notification Center on your Mac
Access Widgets on Your Mac
It’s quite straightforward to access widgets in macOS Big Sur. You can access them by clicking on the time in the menu bar. Apple has integrated Notification Center with the widget panel for quick navigation.
Add a Widget to Notification Center on your Mac
Depending on your needs, you can easily add widgets to your Notification Center to take a glance at the essential that the particular widget has to offer.
1. First off, click on the time at the top right corner of the screen.
2. Now, click on Edit Widgets option at the bottom.
3. Next up, choose the preferred size of the widget.
4. Next, find the widget you want to add to the Notification Center. Then, hover over the mouse on the widget to reveal the “+” button. In the end, be sure to click on Done to confirm.
Perfectly Rearrange Widgets in the Notification Center
1. To get going, click on the time in the menu bar.
2. Now, scroll down to the bottom and click on Edit Widgets.
3. Next, drag the widget at the right place. Once you have perfectly rearranged the widget, click on Done to confirm.
Remove Widgets from Notification Center on your Mac
If you no longer want to keep any widget in the Notification Center, you can quickly remove it.
1. Click on time at the top right corner on your Mac.
2. Scroll down and click on Edit Widgets.
3. Find the widget which you want to remove. Then, click on the “-” button to the left of a widget to remove it from the notification center. After that, click on Done at the bottom to confirm.
Tips to Customize Widgets in macOS Big Sur on Mac
So, these are the ways you can get the most out of widgets on your Mac running macOS Big Sur. Though macOS doesn’t have a ton of widgets right now, it’s just a matter of time before they will be in huge numbers.
macOS Big Sur features a customizable Control Center, vastly improved Messages app with Memojis and effects, and a well-though-out battery setting to boost the battery life of Mac. Which one of these features has impressed you the most? It would be great to know your thoughts.