Whether you play on your smartphone or a PC, Roblox error code 279 is a dreadful nightmare that hampers gameplay experience across a variety of platforms. Unlike other errors, it doesn’t have a fixed reason, which makes it trickier to resolve. Luckily, we have tested and dealt with this error on a wide range of devices so that you don’t have to. Now, all that’s left for you to do is follow our guide and learn how to fix Roblox error code 279 on Windows, Mac, and mobile devices. With that said, let’s dive right in!
How to Fix Roblox Error Code 279 (2022)
What is Roblox Error Code 279
Error code 279 is one of the most common Roblox errors seen by players in recent months. It reflects issues with your internet connectivity, direct blockage over the Roblox app, and at times, even errors with the Roblox servers. Since it doesn’t have any fixed cause, there is also no permanent solution to resolve this error. You have to find a suitable solution that works for you, each time the error appears on your device.
Roblox error code 279 is usually caused because of the following reasons:
- Internet Connection: Unwanted restrictions over your internet either by your system or service provider.
- Developer Issues: Errors or ongoing maintenance for Roblox’s official servers.
- Firewall Problems: Your system can sometimes restrict Roblox from connecting with its servers.
- Corrupted Cached Data: Temporarily stored data, which is supposed to help Roblox run faster, can sometimes get corrupted and prevent the game from launching properly.
How to Fix Roblox Error Code 279 on Windows
Windows users are most prone to getting the Roblox error code 279. Fortunately, they also have the most diverse set of solutions to make the app work and get back on track in time. We suggest you go through each solution sequentially until you find something that works for you. Meanwhile, if you face issues updating Roblox on your Windows PCs, check out the linked guide for fixes.
Check Roblox Server Status
At times, the Roblox 279 error occurs when the official Roblox server goes into maintenance. In that case, the best option for you is to wait for the server to come back online. So, before moving on to any other solution, you should first check the status of Roblox servers on the official status tracker (here). If the server is up and running without any issues, continue reading to find other reliable solutions.
Add an Exception to the Firewall
While the firewall on your system is supposed to protect you from the sketchy side of the internet, it can end up becoming an unintentional barrier to Roblox at times. So, follow these steps to prevent your firewall from blocking Roblox on Windows:
1. First, press the Windows key on your keyboard to open the Start menu. Then, type “Allow an app through Windows Firewall” in its search bar and open the firewall settings from the results.
2. Next, click the “Change Settings” button at the top right of the app list. It will open the app list and allow you to add new exceptions.
3. Then, if you are using the Roblox Player to run the game, you first need to add that to the app list. To do so, click on the “Allow another app” button located at the bottom right.
4. After that, click the “Browse” button within the new pop-up window and find Roblox’s executable file. It is the main “.exe” file using which you launch the game. More often than not, you can find it as a desktop shortcut or within the default directory linked below. Click on the “Add” button after selecting Roblox.
5. The Microsoft store version of Roblox automatically appears in the firewall app list, and now, the Roblox player will too. Now, make sure to tick both checkboxes in front of either version of Roblox and click the “OK” button to save the changes.
And that’s it. Windows Firewall will no longer disrupt your connection to the Roblox servers, and you can play the best Roblox games with your friends with ease.
Reset Internet Settings
At times, Windows users customize their default internet settings for a variety of purposes. This seemingly harmless customization can lead to Roblox error code 279. So follow these steps to restore your system to the default internet settings:
1. To begin, open the Start menu by pressing the Windows key, search for “Control Panel,” and open the app.
2. Then, move to the “Network and Internet” section within the Control Panel.
3. Then, on the next page, click the “Internet Options” heading to launch a new pop-up window.
3. Then, click on the “Advanced” tab within the new Internet Properties window.
4. Finally, click on the “Restore advanced settings” button and then the “OK” button to reset your internet settings.
Download Roblox’s Different Edition
Much like Minecraft Java and Bedrock, gamers on Windows PCs have the privilege of using two editions of Roblox. If one fails to function due to Roblox error code 279, you can easily switch to another one. The two editions of Roblox are:
- Roblox Player: Downloadable as an executable file from Roblox’s official website (visit). You need to access an experience to get the executable on the website.
- Roblox App: Available on Microsoft Store (Free) as a UWP (Universal Windows Platform) app
Reset Winsock and DNS Cache
Winsock is a default Windows API responsible for network protocol communication between different apps and your network. Besides that, it also stores a catalog of information about different servers, their default requirements, and namesake providers.
For the purpose of this guide, you need to know that Winsock is an important communicator between you and the internet. Meanwhile, its catalog is the map it uses for that communication. If this catalog receives incorrect entries or is corrupted, you will not be able to connect to some servers, which can lead to Roblox error code 279. So, let’s figure out how to avoid that by resetting Winsock:
1. First, open the Start menu, type “cmd” in the search bar to access Command Prompt, and choose the “Run as Administrator” option in the right pane. On the earlier version of Windows, you will have to right-click on the Command Prompt to find this option.
2. Then, type the following command in the Command Prompt and hit the “Enter” key:
netsh winsock reset
3. While you are at it, we suggest you clear your system’s DNS cache as well. Similar to Winsock, it stores temporary data around various online databases. It’s supposed to make online services run faster but can cripple them due to issues. Use the following command in CMD to flush the DNS cache:
4. Once both commands are executed, it’s time to restart your system. To do so, go back to your start menu and press the “restart” button within the power options menu. After the restart, you should be able to play Roblox on your Windows PC without any issues.
How to Fix Roblox 279 Error Code on Mac
The firewall on Mac, until manually told otherwise, automatically allows Roblox to connect to its server with no issues. So, you don’t have to worry about the same. Moreover, there is also no Winsock on a Mac system. With that said, you do need to clear the DNS cache on Mac to fix the Roblox error code 279. Here’s how:
1. First, open Spotlight search by pressing the “Command + Space bar” keys on your keyboard. Then search for “terminal” and open it.
2. Then, use the following commands in the terminal based on the macOS version you are using. They allow you to flush the DNS cache on your PCs. This is the simplest and most reliable way to fix the Roblox 279 error on a Mac system.
- macOS El Capitan (macOS 10.11) and newer versions: sudo dscacheutil -flushcache; sudo killall -HUP mDNSResponder
- macOS 10.7-10.10 (Lion, Mountain Lion, and Mavericks): sudo killall -HUP mDNSResponder
- macOS 10.5-10.6 (Leopard, Snow Leopard): sudo dscacheutil –flushcache
- macOS 10.4 Tiger: lookupd -flushcache
How to Fix Roblox Error Code 279 on Android/ iOS
With Mac and Windows PCs out of the way, let’s figure out how to fix error code 279 in the Roblox app on Android, iOS, and iPadOS. The most common methods to fix the Roblox error are:
Often, the Roblox error code 279 is caused by your internet, which prevents the game from communicating with your device. You can easily avoid that by using a VPN, which will establish a bridge between your device and the Roblox servers, skipping any major issues. We already have a guide listing the best VPN apps on Android and iOS you can use to bypass internet restrictions. Most of these VPNs are available on both the Apple App Store and Google Play Store.
Another reliable way to get rid of issues within the Roblox app is by removing its cached data. Doing so forces Roblox to reconnect with its server when you launch the app, which in turn resolves error code 279 in some cases. Here’s how to do that on Android devices:
1. First, open the settings app on your Android device and then find the “Apps” section.
Note: iOS and iPadOS don’t allow you to get rid of cache data manually for a variety of apps, including Roblox. So, you have to uninstall and reinstall the app to get a similar result.
2. Next, within the app list, scroll down until you find the “Roblox” app. Tap on it.
3. Next, tap on the “Storage & Cache” option within the Roblox App info section.
4. Finally, tap the “Clear cache” button. If you want to start afresh, you can use the “clear storage” button as well but that’s not required.
Reset APN Settings
If no other solution worked for you, chances are that the internet you are using is causing the problem. To get around that, you can simply switch to Wi-Fi and avoid using your mobile data, which usually is the culprit behind Roblox 279 errors. But if that’s not an option for you, here’s how to fix mobile data issues by resetting APN settings:
1. First, open your Settings app and find the “Network & Internet” section.
2. Then, move to the “Sim card & mobile network” section.
3. Here, if you are using a dual-SIM Android phone, tap on the SIM card you use for your mobile data.
4. Then, tap on the “Access Point Names” option within the SIM settings.
5. Finally, tap on the three dots menu icon and use the “Reset to default” option.
1. First, open the Settings app and tap on the “Cellular” option.
2. Then, move to the “Cellular Data Network” section.
3. Finally, scroll down and tap on the “Reset settings” option to revert your mobile data settings to its default state.
Simple Fixes for Roblox Error Code 279
And like that, you have resolved one of the most dreadful errors players face on Roblox. But, more often than not, this error goes hand-in-hand with Roblox’s error code 610. Both of them have a similar effect on your game, and you can use the linked guide to quickly resolve the other error as well. Once both the common errors are gone and your game is working properly, it’s time to explore some of the best Roblox games with your friends. And if another weird error pops up, do reach out in the comments below. Someone from our team will surely help you out.