Whether it’s because of spam callers, annoying promotional messages, or anything else, there are times when you might want to block a contact or a number on your iPhone completely and get some peace of mind. Fortunately, there are multiple ways you can do this without having to jump through hoops. So, regardless of the reason you’re looking to block someone, here is how to block a number on iPhone.
Quick Ways to Block a Number on iOS (2022)
Whether you want to block someone from calling you or texting you, or whether you want to block contacts on messaging apps like WhatsApp and Telegram, we have you covered. We will discuss the steps to easily block numbers on your iPhone in the Phone app, as well as on WhatsApp, Telegram, Signal, and more. We will also take a look at how you can find out if someone else has blocked you.
As always, you can use the table of contents below to navigate through this article.
Block a Number on iPhone
Block a Number from Recent Calls on iPhone
If you recently received a call from a number and you want to block them, here is how you can do that directly from the Recent Calls screen on your iPhone.
1. Open the Phone app on your iPhone and then ensure that the “Recents” tab is selected.
2. Now, find the phone number that you want to block and then tap the “i” info button right next to it.
3. After that, tap Block this Caller and confirm.
- You can also block a contact using the Contacts tab in the Phone app. To do so, tap the Contacts tab -> an individual contact -> Block this Caller -> Block Contact.
That’s it! From now onwards, you will no longer receive phone calls, messages, or FaceTime calls from the number or contact you have blocked.
Block a Number Using Messages App on iPhone
On the other hand, if you’re receiving a lot of spam messages from a contact or a number, you can easily block them directly from within the Messages app as well. Here’s how to block a number on iPhone messaging app.
1. Launch the Messages app on your iOS device. Then, head over to the person/chat thread you want to block.
2. Now, tap the name of the person at the top and then hit the “Info” button.
3. Next, tap the Block this Caller option at the bottom. Be sure to confirm by tapping Block Contact in the popup menu.
Quickly Block Numbers Using Settings App on iPhone
Though this situation might not arise for most people, if you’re unfortunately in a situation where you want to block a lot of contacts on your iPhone, I would recommend doing so via the Settings app on your iPhone. Here is how to do this.
1. Open the Settings app on your iPhone. After that, tap Phone. Alternately, you can also go into the Settings app -> Messages/FaceTime/Mail.
2. Now, tap on Blocked Contacts.
3. Next, tap Add New and then choose the contact you want to block in the address book. That’s it! It will instantly be added to your list of blocked contacts. To block more contacts, repeat this same quick step.
Although it would be easier to use this method if Apple allowed us to bulk-block numbers, it’s still faster to block multiple phone numbers on iOS using this method as compared to the other methods discussed in this article.
How to Unblock Numbers on iPhone and Manage Your iPhone Blocked List
iOS provides a detailed list of blocked numbers and also allows you to manage the list with the needed flexibility. Hence, you can keep a track of the blocked contacts and choose to unblock individuals.
1. To get started, launch the Settings app on your iOS device and choose Phone.
2. Scroll down a bit and select the Blocked Contacts option. Then, tap Edit at the top right corner of the screen.
3. Next, tap the red “-” button to the left of the contact you want to unblock and then hit the Unblock button. In the end, make sure to tap Done at the upper right corner of the screen to finish.
Block Contacts in WhatsApp on iPhone
If you want to avoid getting messages from annoying people on WhatsApp, here is how to block a number on WhatsApp for iOS.
1. First off, open WhatsApp on your iPhone. After that, navigate to the contact you would like to block and tap it.
2. Tap the name of the person at the top center. Next, scroll down and tap Block Contact. Do not forget to tap Block in the popup to confirm.
Block Contacts in Signal on iPhone
You can also block contacts on Signal pretty easily, here’s what you need to do.
1. Open the Signal app on your iOS device and tap the contact in question.
2. Tap the name of your friend at the top. After that, tap Block User and confirm.
Signal comes with a ton of handy features to enhance your messaging experience. To get the most out of this app, head over to our exhaustive roundup of the best Signal tips and tricks.
Block Contacts in Telegram on iPhone
The Telegram app does support blocking a number on iPhone, but it’s not as visible as it is on other apps. Here’s how to block a contact on Telegram.
1. To begin with, launch the Telegram app on your iPhone. Then, head over to the contact you want to put on the block list and tap it.
2. Tap the name of the person at the top of the screen. Now, tap the “more” button (three-dot icon).
3. Next, choose Block User in the popup menu. When prompted to confirm the action, tap Block “Name” in the menu.
How to Tell If Someone Blocked You on iPhone
When someone doesn’t respond to your repeated calls or messages, it’s easy to wonder whether they have blocked you for good. While there is no definitive way, there are some effective workarounds that can help you figure out if someone has blocked you on iPhone. To get the mystery out of the way, check out our detailed guide.
Easily Block Numbers on iPhone and Avoid Spam Calls and Messages
So, that’s how you can easily block numbers and manage them on your iOS device. While I’m fine with the native blocking functionality, I wish Apple added the ability to automatically block robocallers and telemarketers right in the Phone app. Yeah, I’m expecting a built-in Truecaller alternative for iOS. It would go a long way in keeping spam calls at a distance. What do you think about it? Do share your thoughts and the sort of improvements you would like to see in the Phone app on iOS.