The new era of Chainsaw Man is taking shape, and Asa Mitaka is proudly leading the way as one of the most interesting yet mysterious antagonists. She is one of the most powerful characters we have seen in the series, and from the looks of it, she is ready to turn the world upside down. So, it’s time for you to learn who is Asa Mitaka, what’s her true potential, and why she is after the Chainsaw Man. There is a lot to unfold here, so let’s dive right in!
Asa Mitaka in Chainsaw Man (2022)
Spoiler Warning: This guide contains major spoilers for the characters and plot of Chainsaw Man manga’s War Devil arc (up to Chapter 108).
Who is Asa Mitaka in Chainsaw Man
Asa Mitaka is the fiend form of the war devil, who is also known as Yoru. She is considered the main antagonist of the second arc of the Chainsaw Man manga. As a human, she’s a shy high schooler who gets bullied a lot. Her parents were killed by a devil so she hates all devils and keeps to herself most of the time.
What is a Fiend in Chainsaw Man?
In Chainsaw Man, a fiend is a human corpse that has been possessed by a devil. The devil has complete control over the human body, with the human consciousness being non-existent. Use our dedicated guide to find out more about the differences between humans, devils, and fiends.
Is Asa Mitaka a Fiend or Devil Hybrid?
From the looks of it, Asa doesn’t seem to be following all the basic rules of being a fiend. As a human, Asa looks like a regular teenager with a simple appearance and face. But when the war devil takes over her body, scars appear on her face. This is similar to Power‘s red horns, as all fiends are supposed to have visible devilish features somewhere on their bodies. However, it is yet to be revealed why Asa can hide these features and turn into a regular human too.
Moreover, she’s also not supposed to have human consciousness as a fiend. But it seems like the devil contract protects her human consciousness. As revealed in Chapter 99 of the manga, the war devil kept the left half of Mitaka’s brain intact to keep the body functioning and assume a human form. The contract was supposed to allow Asa to live, and this seems to be the way.
Also, in a very unique way, Asa can even see the physical manifestation of the war devil fiend in her head. They keep switching control over the main body, and the rest of the world only sees the main body. So, from the looks of it, the war devil is allowing Asa to live by not taking over her mind completely. We expect the upcoming manga chapters to reveal more about the same. But since the war devil took over Asa’s body when her head was slashed almost in half, we consider Asa Mitaka to be a fiend in Chainsaw Man. At least, for now.
How Did Asa Become the War Devil Fiend?
Asa accidentally discovered her class president having an affair with a teacher. This led the class president to use the power of the Justice devil, whom she has contracted with, to kill Asa. But, moments before her death, the war devil showed up and offered a contract to Asa. In return for saving her life, Asa allows the war devil to possess her body turning her into a war fiend.
Now, Asa can talk to the war devil inside her head (while also seeing Yoru’s hallucination), and the devil tries to influence Asa’s day-to-day life. The devil’s presence influenced Asa’s personality a lot. When she’s in her human form, Asa tries to avoid violence as much as possible. But when the war devil takes over, she becomes a brutal and skilled fighter. There are times when Asa can use the war devil’s powers even in her human form. More on that later.
Asa Mitaka (Yoru) Abilities: War Devil Fiend
Since the manga is still ongoing and the war fiend is a unique kind of fiend, we are yet to see the full potential of her powers. But from everything we know so far, these are the powers that Asa Mitaka (or the war fiend) possesses:
- Improved Movement: When compared to all humans and several devils, Asa can move at a faster pace and make precise combat movements with little to no effort. We witness this in manga Chapter 108, where she had to fight the Justice devil (who’s in contract with Yuko). Another example of her special movements is seen during her initial encounter with the Justice devil, when the devil was in contract with the class president.
- Rapid Regeneration: When the war devil first took over Asa’s body, it was able to heal her completely within a few seconds. From being on the brink of death to being ready to dodge attacks from the Justice devil, the war devil was able to heal Mitaka in the blink of an eye.
- Massive Strength: Being true to its name, the war devil’s strength is no joke. In Chapter 98, Asa pulls out a person’s head and spinal cord without much effort.
- Weapon Creation: The most important power in the war fiend’s skillset is her ability to turn everyday objects into weapons. She can manipulate body parts of living creatures as well as inanimate objects into unique weapons. But this only works if Asa believes that the manipulated item belongs to her. Further, the forged weapon’s strength increases significantly if Asa has sentimental value attached to it. In Chapter 108, when Mitaka transformed her school uniform, a gift from her deceased mother, into a sword, and the weapon was extremely powerful.
War Devil + Asa Mitaka: Dual Consciousness Explained
At the moment, we don’t have a confirmed answer as to why Asa Mitaka in Chainsaw Man is able to retain her human consciousness even after becoming a fiend. But here are a couple of theories that might lead to reliable answers:
- Contractual Obligation: A simple reason why a part of Asa is still alive in the war fiend can be because of their contract. Going over the wording of the contract from Chapter 98, Asa gives up her body only because the war devil agrees to help her survive. And she still has a part of her brain intact, so that plays a role in this consciousness mix-up for the readers.
- Hidden Motive: (Massive Spoilers for Public Safety Arc) In the first arc of CSM, we find out that the Makima, the control devil, tries to blend into the human world to change it entirely. Considering that both she and the war devil were part of the Four Horsemen, Yoru might be keeping Asa alive to easily exist in the human world.
- Asa Mitaka is a Hybrid: When compared with Denji, Asa definitely shows some features of a hybrid like switching between human and devilish form, retaining human consciousness, and direct communication with her devil. So, even though the circumstance of her merger made her look like a fiend, she could easily be a hybrid too.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is Asa Mitaka the new protagonist?
For now, the second part of Chainsaw Man is mainly focusing on the perspective of Asa Mitaka. But taking the manga’s main storyline into focus, it’s clear that Denji is still the main protagonist.
Is Asa Mitaka Dead?
Even after coming face to face with death, Asa survives by merging herself with the war devil.
Why Does War Devil Hate Chainsaw Man?
In Chapter 104, we learn that the Chainsaw devil ate parts of the war devil’s body, which made it significantly weaker. The devil claims that the concept of war is now only visible in movies, and the fear of an actual war is seizing to exist.
Everything You Need to Know About Asa Mitaka in Chainsaw Man
The story of Asa Mitaka is still at its starting point. There are lots of pages yet to unfold in her life. So, make sure to bookmark this guide and stay up to date with Mitaka’s developing character. Meanwhile, now that you are familiar with our new antagonist, it’s time to meet a cute little friend – Pochita. He is the true hero of this manga and a worthy enemy to all devils. With that said, do you think Asa Mitaka is a fiend or a hybrid? Share your answers, including the theory behind them, in the comments below!