Warden is probably one of the most anticipated new mobs of the Minecraft 1.19 Wild Update. It’s powerful, scary, and can only be found in a whole new Minecraft 1.19 biome called the Deep Dark. But there are still plenty of game mechanics that people are yet to figure out about the Warden. From its weakness to the items that the Warden drops on dying, we’re here to tell you everything you need to know about this new mob. There is a lot to cover. So, let’s not waste another moment and explore the Minecraft Warden right away!
How to Spawn, Avoid, or Defeat Warden in Minecraft (2022)
We have divided our guide into multiple segments to help you understand the different mechanics of the Warden with ease. You can read about the Warden’s abilities and the best ways to avoid or fight it in Minecraft 1.19 in this guide.
Meet Warden: First Blind Mob in Minecraft
Warden is a blind hostile mob in Minecraft that is also the most powerful non-boss mob in the game. It can kill you with two direct hits even if you have the strongest Netherite armor in the game. This mob is not only scary because of its power, even the appearance of Warden is daunting.
The Warden is taller than an Iron Golem and has an exposed heart for the chest. People believe that it traps the souls of its enemies inside that glowing heart. And when it spawns, you can hear its loud heartbeat.
Minecraft Warden: Abilities
As mentioned above, Warden is the first blind mob in the game. So, it relies on vibrations, smell, and sound to find its targets. If any player makes too many vibrations around the Warden, it gets annoyed quickly, targets the noisemaker, and kills them.
The Warden in Minecraft 1.19 has the following abilities:
- Darkness: Warden applies the darkness effect on nearby players, making them short-sighted. Without the Potion of Night Vision in your arsenal, this effect can make you blind in the low-light areas.
- Melee attack: Warden’s most preferred mode of attack is using its hands (yeah, it can throw hands). A single hit of the Warden deals 30 points worth of damage in the normal difficulty and 45 points when the difficulty is hard.
- Sonic Shriek: If the Warden can’t reach its target for a direct hit, it releases a powerful sonic shriek. It does 15 points of damage at the highest difficulty and 10 points at normal difficulty. You also get pushed back multiple blocks when this attack hits you.
Where to Find the Warden in Minecraft
The Warden in Minecraft only spawns in the Deep Dark biome, a new cave biome that spawns below the underworld. Within that, the Warden usually spawns in the Ancient Cities. But unlike other mobs, the Warden doesn’t appear naturally in the world. Instead, you have to trigger its spawning.
How to Spawn the Warden
To summon the Warden, you have to trigger a Sculk shrieker block. It is one of the many Sculk blocks that spawn in the Ancient Cities. This block gets activated by sounds and vibrations around it. But the Warden doesn’t spawn immediately. The shrieker gives two warning shrieks first. But, if you make a sound the third time, the third shriek will summon the Warden.
Do note that this warning count is relative to the player and not the block. You can mistakenly activate three different shriekers, and it will still summon the Warden. Also, this spawning by Sculk shrieker only works if there is no other Warden within 48 blocks of the block and the light level is below 11 points.
How to Defeat the Warden in Minecraft
Defeating the Warden is not an easy task. Unless you have years of combat skills, then carrying the best Minecraft potions would be a must. Having said that, here are some tips that you can use to defeat the Warden in Minecraft:
- The Warden is immune to fire damage, lava damage, and drowning. It doesn’t even take knockback from any mob or player.
- Its melee attack disables players’ shields for 5 seconds.
- It has 500 health, which at normal difficulty, is more than the health of Ender Dragon and Wither in both editions.
- If the Warden can’t hear you or feel your vibrations, it will try to sniff you out.
- In terms of targeting, the Warden doesn’t target the mob that’s closest to it. Instead, it tracks down the most suspicious one. So, if you plan on bringing other mobs to distract the Warden, it might not work as planned.
With the basics out, you can use our in-depth guide to easily defeat Warden in Minecraft with various unique techniques.
How to Avoid the Warden and Run Away
If you don’t feel ready to fight the Warden, here are certain tricks that you can utilize to run away from it in Minecraft 1.19. Some of them include:
- Elytra: You can use an Elytra to fly away from the Warden. It won’t be easy with the dark effect applied, but because of the huge open area of the Ancient Cities, it’s definitely possible.
- Trap on Spawn: If you are a fast miner with a pickaxe having Efficiency V enchantment, break up to two blocks around the Warden to trap it. You have to do it before it completely spawns and is able to run after you. Then, you will have just enough time to run away.
- Sneaking: Even though it’s scary, you can try to sneak your way out of the Ancient City. The new swift sneak boots enchantment that spawns in the city’s chests can help you in the same.
- Mobs: You can take multiple mobs with you to the Ancient City to distract the Warden while you run away. Do keep in mind that this trick works only half of the time as Warden targets players over other mobs.
- Liquid and Traps: Lastly, if you feel adventurous, you can try to use liquids like water or blocks like cobwebs to trap the Warden. They aren’t enough to kill or keep it trap. But you get enough time to run away from it.
What Does the Warden Drop in Minecraft
When killed by a player or a tamed wolf, the Warden drops 5 experience orbs and a sculk catalyst. The sculk catalyst block already generates all around the deep dark biome, so we are unsure of the significance of this drop. The developers of Minecraft might change this mechanic later down the road, but take this with a grain of salt. If you don’t want to fight the Warden, you can use silk touch enchantment to mine and pick it up.
Once obtained, you can use the sculk catalyst block to generate sculk features anywhere in the overworld. You just have to kill mobs that drop experience orbs around the block.
How to Make the Warden Despawn
If you somehow can’t kill the Warden, you can still outwait its existence. The Warden is programmed to find vibrations and movements. It can even notice the vibrations from non-living entities like projectiles.
But if the Warden doesn’t detect any vibrations for 60 seconds and stays “calm”, then it digs into the ground and despawns in Minecraft. However, if the Warden is trapped in any liquid, it doesn’t do digging to despawn and simply vanishes after some time. This mechanic was rolled out with the Minecraft 1.19 Pre-release 2 in mid-May.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is Warden Rare in Minecraft?
The deep dark biome, which is the home and the spawnpoint of Warden, is as common as other cave biomes. So, with enough time, it’s not that hard to find a Warden.
How Much HP Does the Minecraft Warden Have?
Warden has a total of 500 health, which is equal to 250 in-game hearts. For comparison, the average health of an Ender Dragon is only 200 and that of the Wither is around 300-450 points.
How Much XP Does Warden Drop?
Warden only drops 5 experience points (and a sculk catalyst block) when killed by a player or a tamed wolf.
Which Minecraft Update has the Warden?
The Minecraft 1.19: The Wild Update is the update that brought Warden to the world of Minecraft. Though, it was originally planned for the 1.17 and 1.18 updates.
What does Warden Drop?
When killed by a player or a tamed wolf, the Warden drops 5 experience points alongside a single block of Sculk catalyst.
Are You Ready to Meet Warden in Minecraft?
With that, you have learned everything there is to know about the new hostile mob being added in Minecraft 1.19. All that’s left to do now is plan your moves and take down the Warden. If you want to fight the Warden, make sure to get Netherite in Minecraft for your gear. On the other hand, if you simply wish to escape, our guide on how to teleport in Minecraft can come in handy. And if everything else fails, the best Minecraft mods are always there to help you in any situation. But you have to install Forge in Minecraft to run them. Having said that, do you plan on fighting the Warden or not? Tell us in the comments!
Lol yes but I’ll prepare in creative to get netherite and elytra and rockets that don’t explode.