Minecraft is the most popular open-world sandbox game with unlimited possibilities of how you play it. However, even that experience can become repetitive for some people. So today, we will explain how to install Forge to use mods in Minecraft and make your MC worlds even more interesting. From downloading Forge to running mods, we will cover everything you might be looking for to enhance your Minecraft experience. Now, let’s get started and figure out how to install Forge in Minecraft.
How to Install Forge and Use Minecraft Mods (2021)
Using Forge and mods might sound like a complicated process but is a rather simple one in Minecraft. You should avoid using multiple heavy mods if you don’t have a higher-end PC to dodge performance issues. However, before we enter the discussion around Forge, let’s first understand what Minecraft mods are because you will hear a lot about them moving forward.
Note: Keep in mind that installing Forge in Minecraft is limited to the Java edition. You can find out the differences between Minecraft Java and Bedrock right here.
What are Mods in Minecraft?
In any video game, mods are software add-ons to enhance the gameplay experience by modifying original core elements. It can range from spawning zombies or even rockets in the game to just improving performance with OptiFine. Thanks to the popularity around the game, Minecraft Java has hundreds if not thousands of mods available for free online.
If you are a programmer, you might understand how easy it’s for enthusiasts to decompile the java edition of the game to create interesting mods around the source code.
What is Minecraft Forge?
Now that we know what mods are, we need software to handle such mods. Forge is a free open-source server that lets you install and run mods on Minecraft. It’s designed to be the bridge between complex mods and the non-programming Minecraft players. You don’t need any high-level tech skills to install & run mods on Minecraft Java, all thanks to the Forge.
The team behind Minecraft Forge is a dedicated one, so getting bugs while using Forge is a rare scenario. Plus, the constant updates to the software make sure that there’s always a Forge available for every version of the game. Unfortunately, there’s no alternative to Forge for the bedrock edition. So if you want to try out modded Minecraft gaming, it might be time to make the switch.
Minimum Requirements to Run Minecraft Forge
Fortunately, there aren’t any major requirements for Minecraft Forge other than your PC’s ability to run Minecraft properly. However, you might have to keep checking your specs for each mod you install because some of them can be really resource-intensive and demanding. The stakes go even higher if you run multiple mods simultaneously in the same Minecraft world. We suggest you check mod information and user reviews to understand if your system can handle a specific mod or not.
How to Download Minecraft Forge
The steps to download Minecraft Forge are fairly easy. But before we do, you need to make sure that you know the version of your Minecraft installation. The easiest way to find it is by launching your game and checking the version written on the bottom left corner of the screen.
With that out of the way, let’s check out the steps to install Minecraft Forge on your PC:
1. Once you know your game version, go to the official website of Minecraft Forge. Here, you need to select your game version from the left sidebar by clicking on it. Then, you need to click on the “Installer” button in the middle of the webpage.
2. As soon as you click the Installer button, you will see a skippable advertisement. Then, wait a few seconds for the “Skip” button to appear in the top-right corner, and click it to proceed.
3. Skipping the ad will initiate the download. Since it’s a .jar file, you might be warned by your browser that it can be harmful. Select the “Keep” option when prompted. And don’t worry, this is a tested, scanned, and popular software among the Minecraft community.
How to Install Minecraft Forge
1. Once the download finishes, open the Forge Installer by double-clicking on it. If you get prompted by your antivirus while trying to open it, click on “more info” and select the “Run anyway” option.
2. Forge will automatically detect the location of the default Minecraft installation. You can also load it to your Minecraft directory manually by pressing the (…) button next to the default directory address. After that, all you need to do is select the “Install Client” option and click on the “OK” button.
3. Wait for Forge to download and install itself into your game. Once it’s done, you will be greeted by a successful installation message. To make sure it works properly, please don’t use an already modded version of the game and carefully match the game version with the version of Minecraft Forge.
You can check your game profile in the Minecraft launcher to see if you have the Forge up and running. But there’s no point in running Minecraft Forge without first installing a mod.
Installing Mods Using Forge
Installing mods in Minecraft is even simpler than installing Forge. Before we understand how that works, you first need to download a Minecraft Mod of your choice. You can try googling or head over to our list of best Minecraft Mods and choose one. After that, just follow the steps below:
1. Assuming that you have downloaded a mod file, you will now have a .jar java mod file. All you need to do is right-click on that file and choose “copy” or you can also press the Windows keyboard shortcut Ctrl + C after selecting the file.
2. Once you have copied the file, use the Win key + R keyboard shortcut and type the following in the Run window – “
%appdata%\.minecraft\mods ” and then click the “OK” button.
Note: If you don’t have the mods folder in your
%appdata%\.minecraft\ directory, you can always create a new folder. Right-click and select the “New” option, followed by the “folder” option to make a fresh mods folder. Don’t forget to name it “mods” (without the quotes).
3. Once you are in the mods folder, right-click and select “paste” or press Ctrl + V on your keyboard to paste the mod file. And we are done. Yeah, it’s this easy to install your favorite mods in Minecraft.
Running Mods in Minecraft Using Forge
Now that we have Minecraft with a mod installed and Forge running, it’s time to test it out. Follow along the steps listed below:
1. You will be able to find Minecraft Forge in your official Minecraft launcher next to the “Play” button. You can select it from the list by clicking on the upwards arrow to your Minecraft version number. Once you have selected forge, click on “Play” to start your Minecraft world with Forge.
2. As soon as the game loads up, you will notice that a new option called “Mods” is available on your Minecraft home screen. Click it to open the mods menu.
3. Clicking on the “Mods” option will open up a list of installed mods. You can click on the names of the mods to figure out more information about each of them. You will also see some configuration options with a few mods.
4. At this point, the Minecraft mods are ready to test. All you need to do is load your world like you always do and the mod will be up and running in the game.
How to Uninstall Forge from Minecraft
There might be some performance issues, or you changed your mind for whatever reason, you can quickly remove Forge from your Minecraft installation to get it back to its original state. Before you do that, though, you first need to remove the installed mods from the game. There’s no option to delete the mods from inside the game, but you can delete the file from the mod folder (follow the steps above) to remove all mods. Once you have done that, follow the steps below to delete Forge from Minecraft:
1. First, go to your Minecraft directory, which you can find at
C:\users\your username\%appdata%\roaming\.minecraft\. Alternatively, you can use the run command by pressing Win + R keys and enter this address –
%appdata%\.minecraft\ into the search box.
2. Next, open the versions folder in that directory to see the list of installed game versions, including ones with “forge” in their names.
3. Select all forge folders and delete them by right-clicking and choosing the “Delete” option or pressing the “Delete” key on your keyboard.
Once you have deleted files related to Forge, you won’t see the Forge launch options in your Minecraft Launcher’s profile section. Moreover, mods will no longer impact your Minecraft world.
Minecraft Forge: FAQ & Potential Errors
Q. Is Minecraft Forge Illegal?
Answer: Forge has been running alongside Minecraft Java edition for years, and the game’s easily available source code makes it only viable for modding. So yeah, Forge is just acting as a bridge. It should be safe to assume that even though it’s not officially recommended, Minecraft Forge is legal for personal usage.
There can be some servers that might not allow you to use it. Please check server rules to avoid getting banned in such scenarios. Similarly, mods are usually restricted in Minecraft gaming tournaments, so practice caution there as well.
Q. Is Minecraft Forge Dangerous?
Answer: As long as you are downloading it from the official website and using it with mods that are virus-free, Minecraft Forge is completely safe. I have been using it on my PC since its release with no problems at all. You can learn how to download Forge the right way by reading this guide.
Q. Are Minecraft Mods Illegal?
Answer: As long as you are not making or using Minecraft mods for money, modding the game is legal and permitted. It’s officially mentioned in Minecraft’s end-user license agreement or EULA, so you don’t have to worry.
Q. How to Fix JNI error while installing Minecraft Forge?
Answer: The solution to all the JNI errors is the same. You need to manually update the Java on your PC by downloading it from this link. Download and install the Windows x64 version of Java to fix the JNI errors while installing Minecraft Forge.
Q. Are Minecraft Mods Free?
Answer: Mojang, the developers behind Minecraft, only allow mods that are free and publically available. Any paid mod is considered illegal and something that you should totally avoid using on your game. There are thousands of free mods already available on the internet. So even if you find a paid mod, it should be easily replaceable by a free alternative.
Install Forge and Start Using Mods in Minecraft
With that, you can now unlock a world of endless possibilities in Minecraft. Go ahead and start modding your world to include everything from flying cows to new realms with Forge. in Minecraft. Though Minecraft mods are famous on PC and Mac, you can also install mods if you have Minecraft Java on Chromebook. If you are sadly on the non-moddable Bedrock version of Minecraft, you still have an ever-going edge with RTX on Minecraft Bedrock. So don’t waste a minute more and start pushing your Minecraft world to its limits with Forge. And if you face any issues with the installation process, comment down below. We will try to help you out right away!