Smithing Templates are one of the most exciting features of the Minecraft 1.20 update and they are changing the game in the best way possible. Whether you want to find Netherite and use it or just want to look the best in your gear, these templates now affect everything. But what exactly are Smithing Templates in Minecraft and how can you make one? Let’s find out!
What is a Smithing Template in Minecraft
As its name implies, a Smithing Template is a utility item that is used inside the Smithing Table in Minecraft. It allows you to customize your armor and upgrade all of your pieces of equipment.
There are currently two types of Smithing Templates:
- Upgrade: This template allows you to turn your diamond tools, weapons, and armor into Netherite items.
- Armor Trim: This template allows you to add new patterns to the pieces of your armor in 10 unique colors.
Smithing Template Locations: Where to Find Them?
Each Smithing Template spawns in a unique structure within the world of Minecraft in all three dimensions: Overworld, Nether, and the End. Use the table below to find the spawn location of each Smithing Template:
Smithing Template Location Netherite Upgrade Bastion Remnant Sentry Armor Trim Pillager Outpost Dune Armor Trim Desert Pyramid Coast Armor Trim Shipwreck Wild Armor Trim Jungle Temple Tide Armor Trim Ocean Monument Ward Armor Trim Ancient City Vex Armor Trim Woodland Mansion Rib Armor Trim Nether Fortress Snout Armor Trim Bastion Remnant Eye Armor Trim Stronghold Spire Armor Trim End City Silence Armor Trim Ancient City Wayfinder Armor Trim Trail Ruins Raiser Armor Trim Trail Ruins Shaper Armor Trim Trail Ruins Host Armor Trim Trail Ruins
If you want to know more about each of these locations and what each template does, we have a dedicated guide to all locations of Armor Trims in Minecraft, which is worth checking out.
How to Create Smithing Templates in Minecraft
Items Required to Make Smithing Templates
You need the following items to make a Smithing Template:
- 1 Smithing Template (that you want to duplicate)
- 7 Diamonds
- Crafting Table
- 1 Building Block (that corresponds to the template)
Each Smithing Template requires a unique solid block to complete the crafting recipe. Use the table below to find the related solid block for each of them:
Smithing Template Key Ingredient Netherite Upgrade Netherrack Sentry Armor Trim Cobblestone Dune Armor Trim Sandstone Coast Armor Trim Cobblestone Wild Armor Trim Mossy Cobblestone Tide Armor Trim Prismarine Ward Armor Trim Cobbled Deepslate Vex Armor Trim Cobblestone Rib Armor Trim Netherrack Snout Armor Trim Blackstone Eye Armor Trim End Stone Spire Armor Trim Purpur Block Silence Armor Trim Cobbled Deepslate Wayfinder Armor Trim Terracotta (regular) Raiser Armor Trim Terracotta (regular) Shaper Armor Trim Terracotta (regular) Host Armor Trim Terracotta (regular)
Crafting Recipe of Smithing Templates
Follow the steps below to craft a Smithing Template in Minecraft:
1. First, place your crafting table on a solid surface, and then right-click or use the secondary action key on it.
2. Then, put the Smithing Template in the middle cell of the topmost row of the crafting area.
3. Then, place the building block corresponding to the template in the cell beneath it.
4. Finally, fill all the remaining cells with diamonds, and you will end up with 2 Smithing Templates in Minecraft. You can learn how to find Diamonds in Minecraft via our guide linked here.
How to Use Smithing Templates in Minecraft
Considering the two types of Smithing Templates in Minecraft, there are two main methods of using them:
- Netherite: You can use the Netherite Upgrade Smithing Template in Minecraft by combining it with a diamond gear and a Netherite ingot in the Smithing Table.
- Armor Customization: You can combine the Armor Trim Smithing Templates with a piece of your armor and a colored material to customize your armor.
The latter is a bit complicated, so we have created a dedicated guide that goes over how to customize armor in Minecraft. You can refer to the same to learn everything you need to know about Armor Trims.
Just like that, you’re now ready to make copies of Smithing Templates in Minecraft. But, make sure you know all about the ore distribution of Minecraft to easily find all the diamonds you need for the purpose. Not to forget, you can also easily set up a villager trading hall to have an alternative way to collect diamond gear. With that said, let’s go back to the topic at hand. Which is your favorite Smithing Template in Minecraft? Tell us in the comments below!