It is no hidden secret that Netherite is one of the most sought-after elements in Minecraft and it is also the most powerful form of protection in the game. Using it for armor is a major objective for a lot of players. But it is, in no way, easy to obtain and use. More so because of the new features of Minecraft 1.20. To counter that and help you avoid any confusion, we are here with a simple tutorial on how to make Netherite armor in Minecraft. With that, let’s get started!
Make Netherite Armor in Minecraft (2023)
Note: At the moment, Smithing Templates are only a part of Minecraft 1.20 Snapshot 23W04A and later. They are subject to functional and cosmetic changes until the final release.
What is Netherite and How to Find It
Netherite is the most robust material in Minecraft that you can use to make the strongest armor, tools, and weapons in the game. It is so powerful that directly dropping it in the lava does no damage. However, unlike other ores, it doesn’t spawn as a mineable ore and can’t be used directly after mining. Furthermore, you have to visit the Nether dimension to get your hands on it. So, before you plan on making Netherite armor, you first need to get your hands on its ingots.
Items Required to Make Netherite Armor
You need the following items to make a complete set of Netherite Armor:
- 4 Netherite Ingots
- 4 Upgrade Smithing Templates
- A Diamond Armor Set (Boots, chest plate, helmet, and leggings)
- Smithing Table
- 3 Block of Netherrack (Optional)
- 21 Diamonds (Optional)
- Crafting Table (Optional)
If you don’t have a set of diamond armor set already, you can use our dedicated guide to find diamonds in Minecraft easily. After that, we will need to make netherite ingots and
One of the key components to make Netherite armor is the Netherite ingot. And you’ll need Netherite scraps and gold ingots to craft the same. We already have a dedicated guide on how to make Nethernite ingot in Minecraft, so we suggest you refer to it before proceeding forward. For reference, the crafting recipe for Netherite ingot is represented in the image below.
Note: Since the recipe for Netherite ingot is shapeless, you can place the ingredients randomly in any cell of the crafting table.
Upgrade Smithing Template
To upgrade a piece of diamond armor to Netherite in Minecraft, you need to use an Upgrade Smithing Template. Follow the steps below to easily obtain the template:
1. First, you need to find a Bastion Remnant in the Nether dimension. It is a tower-like structure that is heavily guarded by Piglins and Piglin Brutes.
2. Then, go to the bottom of that structure to find the treasure room of Bastion Remnant. The chest in the middle of the treasure room always spawns with one Upgrade Smithing Template.
3. In this guide, you need four templates to upgrade your full diamond armor set. For that, you can either loot four Bastion Remnants’ treasure rooms or you can duplicate your smithing templates using the linked guide.
4. To duplicate the Upgrade Smithing Template, you have to combine a template with 7 diamonds and a Netherrack block. Repeat the process three times to get four templates.
How to Make Netherite Armor in Minecraft
Once you have all the required items, it’s easy to make a full set of Netherite armor in Minecraft. Here’s how:
1. First, place a Smithing Table on any solid surface. Then, right-click or use the secondary action key on it.
2. Then, place an Upgrade Smithing Template in the leftmost slot on the table.
3. Next, place the piece of diamond armor you want to upgrade in the slot next to the template (middle slot).
4. Finally, place the Netherite ingot in the rightmost slot of the Smithing Table. Your diamond armor piece will turn into Netherite armor. Doing so doesn’t cost any experience.
5. You have to repeat the process three more times to upgrade your entire diamond armor set to Netherite armor.
Upgrade Your Netherite Armor in Minecraft
Once your Netherite armor is ready, it’s time to upgrade it by adding some of the best Minecraft enchantments to it. We suggest you go for the following enchantments:
- Mending: This allows you to restore the durability of your armor by collecting experience orbs.
- Feather Falling: This is a boots enchantment that reduces your speed of falling and is one of the best ways to avoid fall damage in Minecraft.
- Protection or Blast Protection: While Netherite is stronger than all other materials, it doesn’t make you invincible. So, protection-based enchantments can give you additional security.
Personalize Netherite Armor in Minecraft
Thanks to Minecraft 1.20 update, you can also personalize your Netherite armor with 11 unique designs (armor trims) and 10 colors. If this interests you, we already have dedicated guides in place to help you out:
Netherite Armor in Minecraft: FAQ
Is Netherite armor better than diamond armor?
The Netherite armor is much better and more resilient than diamond armor. Moreover, it also has additional benefits including knockback reduction.
Can you swim in lava with netherite armor?
While Netherite armor will allow you to last longer in lava, it doesn’t make you immune from its damage. Though, interestingly, dropping Netherite items inside lava doesn’t destroy them, unlike other gear.
Which is the strongest armor in Minecraft?
Netherite armor is the strongest and best armor in Minecraft. But it is usually a late-game item that is hard to obtain.
Craft a Full Set of Netherite Armor in Minecraft
Just like that, you are now ready to obtain the strongest armor in the game. But before you obtain it, you have to navigate deep through the dangerous Nether terrain. So, make sure to make a bunch of the best Minecraft potions to keep yourself safe. Meanwhile, since you will also need a bunch of diamonds, we suggest you create a villager trading hall to set up an alternate way to collect diamonds in Minecraft. Having said that, which piece of your armor are you upgrading to Netherite first? Tell us in the comments below!