Among the basic food items in Minecraft, carrots hold a special position. Their ability to relieve hunger is comparable to bread, and the efforts to grow them are minimal. But that doesn’t mean it’s easy to come across carrots in this sandbox game. That’s why we are covering how to get carrots in Minecraft using the easiest possible methods. From growing to trading, we have covered it all in this guide. All our methods work similarly on both Minecraft Bedrock and Java editions. Unlike crops like wheat, carrots don’t have seeds in the game, which means the only way we can come across this food item is as a whole. But once you get carrots in Minecraft, you can then plant, modify and use them in a variety of ways. Though, that’s for later. For now, let’s figure out how to get carrots in Minecraft.
Get Carrots in Minecraft (2022)
There are multiple ways to use or obtain a carrot in the game. You can use the table below to discover the one that interests you the most.
Three Best Ways to Get Carrots in Minecraft
They are 3 unique ways to obtain carrots in Minecraft, and we will go over each of them in detail.
Continuing the unique traits, you can get carrots by killing a variety of mobs in the game. These include zombies, husks, and zombie villagers. All of these have a low but probable chance of dropping carrots when killed. Keep in mind that this only works when the mobs are attacked by a player or a wolf. Any other attack like TNT might lead you to lose carrots.
In some cases, you can also find carrots while looting chests. The chests that spawn with carrots can be found in:
- Pillager Outposts
- Bonus Chests (Bedrock Only)
Among these, Pillager Outposts have the highest chances of containing chests with carrots in them.
Collection by Breaking
If you find carrots growing on a village farm, you can collect them by breaking them. Using any tool to break them will get you at least 2 carrots from each fully grown plant. This is the simplest way to get carrots in Minecraft. Though, do keep in mind that village farms only have a 20% chance of spawning with carrots. So you might have to explore a variety of Minecraft village seeds until you get the right one.
How to Use Carrots (Seeds) in Minecraft
Other than eating it yourself, you can use carrots to feed pigs and rabbits. Some players also use it for trading and composting. You can even use it to make a Potion of Night Vision by converting it into a golden carrot. To top it off, you can also make rabbit stew and a carrot on a stick. But that’s for when you have enough of them. For now, let’s learn how to grow more carrots in Minecraft.
1. First, search for grass or soil blocks. These blocks are the base blocks that can be used for farming after some modifications.
2. Then, you need to craft a hoe. This hoe can till soil and grass blocks to allow us to farm using them. You only need tool-making blocks like wooden planks or iron and 2 sticks to craft a hoe. Once you have them, open your Crafting table in Minecraft and place wooden sticks in the middle cells of the second and third row. After that, place the wooden planks in the first two cells of the top row of the crafting area. With this recipe, your wooden hoe will be ready.
3. Now, use our newly created hoe by right-clicking on the soil blocks while equipping the hoe. Doing so will immediately change the soil or grass block’s texture, indicating that it has been tilled. Make sure there is water nearby, otherwise the tilled soil will convert itself into a soil block again.
4. Finally, equip the carrot and right-click on the tilled block to plant it. Doing so will immediately sow the seed. Then, all you need to do is wait for the carrot to grow.
Easily Find and Grow Carrots in Minecraft
Just like that, you are ready to get carrots in Minecraft and use them for creating a reliable farm for your world. If you are wondering about the location for this farm, we have already covered the best base building Minecraft seeds for creating such bases in-game. But they won’t work on the new Minecraft 1.18 update. So, if you are on the new version of the game, make sure to try our list of best Minecraft 1.18 seeds instead. From glitched locations to amazing spawn points, there is a lot for you to discover. As for the carrots, they are easily one of the most popular in-game food items. But are they also your favorite? Share your favorite Minecraft food item in the comments section.