Kodi is a powerful media player that lets you stream videos, TV shows, Movies and other multimedia, play live broadcast TV, listen to radio, play games, amongst several other things. Amidst all these fancy features, Kodi is humble enough to play almost any kind of video format you throw at it, which makes it an extremely powerful video player. To amaze you further, Kodi comes with inbuilt support for subtitles. Today, I’ll show you how to add subtitles in Kodi Krypton:
Note: I’m showing the procedure on the latest Kodi v17 Krypton. If you’re using an older version of Kodi, the interface may be a bit different but the overall procedure should remain pretty similar. As a side note, you should upgrade!
How to Enable Subtitles in Kodi
- Open Kodi, click on the Settings icon > Player Settings.
2. Switch to the Language tab. Under Download Services, change the mentioned options to as shown below:
- Languages to download subtitles for: English (you should select your language of choice here)
- Default TV Show service: OpenSubtitles.org
- Default movie service: OpenSubtitles.org
Note: If you click on “Get more”, you can also choose between several other subtitle services like Divxplanet, Pipocas, Subscene, etc. but we will stick with OpenSubtitles here. If you want, you can experiment around to find the best subtitle service, by all means.
3. OpenSubtitles for Kodi requires you to have an account, so if you haven’t already, create a free account by going to their website and also, do not forget to verify your email.
4. Go back to Kodi’s home screen and navigate to Add-ons > My add-ons.
5. Now, go to Subtitles > OpenSubtitles.org
6. Next, click on Configure.
7. Enter your registered username and password. Click OK when you’re done.
That’s it! You’ve successfully enabled subtitles in Kodi. In the next section, we will see how to display subtitles in videos.
How to Display Subtitles in a Video
- The next time you’re playing a TV show, a movie or any other video, just click on the Subtitles icon in the lower right-hand side.
2. Select Download.
Now, you should see a list of subtitles available for the particular video. Clicking on any one of them will add the subtitle to the playing video.
Sometimes, it’s possible that you may not find perfectly synced subtitles and may have to fiddle around with other subtitle listings. You can even adjust the offset timing to get the perfect sync between the audio and the video.
Add Subtitles in Kodi v17 Krypton Using This Easy Method
Using this method, you can easily view subtitles while watching a movie or a TV show. If you’ve a different version of Kodi installed, the options location might be a little different, but nevertheless, the procedure should remain very similar. Do let me know if the above method worked for you. If you’re stuck somewhere in the process, do let me know in the comments section below and I’ll try to help you right away.