Google is our one-stop destination for all of our search-related queries, and it is no wonder that like me, many of you must also prefer the convenience of launching Google search directly from your phone’s home screen. Now, I know you can always use Google Assistant on an Android phone and Siri on an iPhone. However, they are not the most trusty digital assistants, and if typing is your preferred input mode, being able to use Google search right from your phone’s home screen is mighty helpful. So, in this guide, let’s learn how you can add the Google search bar to the home screen on Android and iOS.
Add Google Search Bar to Android and iPhone Home Screen (2023)
It is relatively easy to add the Google search bar to the home screen on both Android and iOS. In just a few simple steps, you can add the Google search widget and customize it to your liking. So, without any further ado, let’s find out how you can do it.
How to Add the Google Search Widget on Android
You can find a plethora of useful widgets on Android, but one of the most trusty ones is the Google search bar widget. You can easily add the Google search bar widget on your Android device’s home screen, here’s how:
1. Long-press anywhere on an empty space on your Android phone’s home screen to open the floating pop-up menu and select “Widgets.”
2. This will open the Widgets menu, where you will find different widgets for supported apps. Scroll down until you see the “Google” app. Click on the downward arrow to expand the menu. Within the menu, you will find the “Search” widget.
3. Long-press on the Google Search widget to place it on your home screen. And voila! You have successfully placed the Google Search bar on the home screen. Now every time you are on your home screen, you can quickly access Google Search with a simple click.
How to Add the Google Search Widget on iOS
Just like Android, you can equip several useful widgets on iPhone to elevate its functionality and convenience. The Google Search widget is no different. So, let’s look at the process to add the Google search bar on your iPhone home screen:
1. Before we begin the process, make sure to install the Google app (Download, Free) on your iPhone.
2. Next, find an empty spot on your iPhone home screen and long-press until the apps start to jiggle. Then, click the “plus icon“ at the top left corner of the screen. This will take you to the iOS widgets menu.
2. Within the widget menu, you will find the list of apps that support the widget functionality. Scroll down until you notice the Google app. Click on it to expand the menu.
3. Within the expanded menu, you will find two different widget options for Google on iOS. Select the one that suits your preference and click on “Add Widget“. The two options are:
- The square 2 x 2 widget only adds the Google Search bar on your home screen.
- The expanded 4 x 2 widget adds brings the Google search bar, the voice search option, Google Lens, and the option to launch the Incognito tab from your home screen.
4. And voila! You have successfully placed the Google Search bar on your iOS device’s home screen. You can long-press on the widget and move it around on the screen.
I’m sure this will help you access Google Search conveniently. The best thing is you can stack widgets on your iPhone home screen. But, if you have caught the ChatGPT fever, we suggest checking out this guide on how to use ChatGPT on Android and iOS.
How to Customize the Google Search Bar on Android
If you do not like the default Google Search bar widget, you can always customize it to your taste. It is easy to customize the Google Search bar on Android, and here’s how it is done:
1. First, launch the Google app, and it will take you to the Google feed page. Click on your Google profile icon at the top right corner of the screen.
2. From the expanded menu, select “Settings.”
3. From the settings menu, select the “Search widget” option.
4. From the Search widget menu, you can enable the “Google Doodles on the widget” option to see the Google Doodle of the day right on your home screen.
5. For more customization options, click on the “Customize widget” option. Here, you can completely customize the look of the search widget. You can change the widget’s shape, transparency level, Google logo style, and color of the search widget. Once done, just click on “Save” to apply the changes.
And that’s pretty much what you need to know. This is how you can customize the look and feel of the Google Search widget easily on your Android device.
How to Customize the Google Search Bar on iOS
The Google Search widget on iPhone is way more interactive and useful compared to the Android one. And you can completely change the look and feel of the Google Search bar on the iOS home screen. Let’s see how it works:
1. To customize the Google Search widget, launch the Google app. Here, click on your profile icon at the top right and select the “Settings” option.
2. From the settings menu, tap on the “Widgets” option.
3. Within the widgets menu, you can turn on the “Dynamic widget” option to bring additional info, including the latest news, weather info, stock prices, trends, and more. Enabling this also moves the voice search and Google lens options to the search bar at the top.
4. For more customization options, tap the “Widget theme” option. Now, you can opt to change the theme of the Google search widget and choose the light mode or dark mode, use dynamic wallpapers, and even use solid colors. Turn on the “Refresh daily” option if you want the widget theme to change regularly.
And there you have it! You have successfully customized the Google Search bar on the home screen of your iOS device.
How to Remove the Google Search Widget on Android
It is as easy to remove the Google Search bar as it is to place it on the home screen of your Android device. To remove the Google Search widget, long-press on the widget to drag and drop it on the “Remove” icon at the top of your screen. It will remove the widget from the home screen.
Note: The option to remove widgets from your home screen might vary depending on the Android skin you are using.
How to Remove the Google Search Widget on iOS
If, for whatever reason, you wish to remove the Google Search widget from your iOS device’s home screen, it is easy to do so. Let me guide you through the process.
1. Long-press on the Google Search widget to open the context menu. Next, select the “Remove Widget” option.
2. From the confirmation menu, select the “Remove” option in the pop-up menu. And that’s how you remove the Google Search widget from your iPhone.
Google Search Widget FAQs
To place the Google Search bar at the bottom of the home screen, long-press on the widget and drag it down to the bottom. The widget will automatically create space for itself to be placed at the bottom. Using this method, you can even place the search bar in the middle of your home screen.
Yeah, you can customize the Google Search bar on your iPhone and Android phone with ease. You can adjust the theme, shape, and logo style on Android, while the iPhone widget lets you show dynamic info and use dynamic wallpapers.
The process to add the Chrome Search bar widget is the same as that of the Google Search bar widget. Simply open the widgets menu on your Android or iOS device and scroll down to find the Chrome app option. Then, long-press on the widget to add it to your home screen.
First and foremost, make sure you have the Google app installed on your device. This issue usually happens with iOS device users as the device doesn’t come with the Google app installed out of the box. Once you have the Google app installed on your iPhone, follow the steps in this guide to add the Google search bar to your home screen. Alternatively, you can substitute the Google Search widget with the Chrome Search widget.
Use Google Search Widget on iPhone and Android
As we explained in this guide, it is easy to add the Google Search widget on the home screen of your iOS and Android phone. The ability to access Google search right from your home screen will come in super handy. So, go ahead and add the Google Search bar on your phone’s home screen! What other widgets do you regularly use on your device? Let us know in the comments below.
Thank you for simplifying the topic. Your post was valuable.