Found in chests and treasure troves, Infernal Iron is a rare material you probably might not find much use for in the world of Baldur’s Gate 3. However, if you have the BG3 companion Karlach in your party, she would request your aid in searching for Infernal Iron to repair her heart. Therefore, this rare material becomes of monumental importance if you want to save Karlach, or even romance her in Baldur’s Gate 3. Unfortunately, the locations where you can find Infernal Iron in Baldur’s Gate 3 are limited, but we have listed them below. So, read on to learn how to find Infernal Iron and use it.
Infernal Iron in Baldur’s Gate 3 has two primary uses. The first is to progress through Karlach’s “The Hellion’s Heart” questline, where you help fix her infernal engine. The other use of this material is to craft armor. With that out of the way, let’s learn how to begin the questline that sets you on the journey to look for Infernal Iron.
Meet Karlach and Start Infernal Iron Questline in Baldur’s Gate 3
After meeting the Paladins at the Toll House on Risen Road, you need to talk with Anders. Karlach is found at the following location on the map.
As per his contract, Wyll has to kill her. Hence, if you have recruited him into your party as a companion, you need to try to convince him to leave Karlach alone. Once you succeed at that and induct Karlach to your party, you will know she has something called an Infernal Engine for a heart, burning hotter than expected. This is where you get the companion questline “The Hellion’s Heart.” In it, Karlach explains that if we can track down some Infernal Iron and an Infernal mechanic, we can help her with the problem.
Fortunately, we already tracked down an Infernal Mechanic, but before we go and meet him, let’s check out the locations where we can get ourselves some Infernal Iron in Baldur’s Gate 3.
Where to Find the Infernal Iron in Baldur’s Gate 3
1. At The Blighted Village
After accepting the Rescue Halsin quest at the Grove, you will come across a village ravaged by the Goblins on your way to the Goblin Camp in Baldur’s Gate 3. You can roam the area freely if you successfully do a persuasion, Illithid, or deception skill check. Then, follow the steps below to grab your first piece of Infernal Iron:
- Head to the following house at the Blighted Village and enter the room.
- You will see a hole covered with webbing here. Use your arrow and take it out. Once the webbing is removed, jump down the hole.
- Inside the basement, locate a wooden chest situated on a wooden platform. If you have Astarion in your party, make him lockpick the box. Otherwise, instruct Karlach to break the box. Inside it, you will find your first piece of Infernal Iron in Baldur’s Gate 3.
2. At the Goblin Camp
The second location where you will get Infernal Iron is the Goblin Camp, which you need to explore to find this rare material. Follow the steps below:
- First, reach the Inner Sanctum area of the Goblin Camp. From here, go down the stairs and take the left stairs to enter the room of Dror Ragzlin.
- Here, Baldur’s Gate 3 offers two ways to obtain the Infernal Iron. The iron is located in the gold reserves behind a locked gate. The key to open the gate is with Dror Ragzlin.
- One way to obtain the item is by using Astarion. Instruct him to lockpick the gate, and upon a successful karmic dice roll, you will open the gate. Then, pick the gold and the Infernal Iron for yourself. The alternate way is to kill Dror Ragzlin and take the key from his dead body.
3. Inside The Zhentarim Hideout
If you explore the Risen Road thoroughly, you will find a place called Waukeen’s Rest. Here, after helping out the people to rescue a person from burnt wreckage (two if you are keen-eyed), go outside. Then, follow these steps:
- Take the left entrance from the burnt cottage.
- A door blocked by three boxes (X: 105, Y: 610) is located in this area. Remove them to get inside. As soon as you get inside, a Zentharim mercenary will be waiting to kill you. Persuade or deceive them to let you inside and go through the cellar.
- After you cross the cellar, go to this particular cupboard and interact with it to enter the Zhentarim hideout. Here, the leader will try to kill you. However, you can explore the place if you persuade or deceive her.
- Head to this particular place on the map (X: 284, Y: 179) to encounter an area with wolves and a person strolling back and forth.
- Right in front, a locked gate with two trapped chests is located. How you want to deal with this situation is up to you, since there are multiple ways to approach this situation. We suggest lockpicking the gate in stealth after the person moves away from the area.
- Disarm the traps and lockpick the chests to grab the infernal iron.
And that is how you obtain Infernal Iron in BG3 Act 1. We are still exploring the game and will update this article with other locations to obtain Infernal Iron soon. However, once you have them, it is time to find Dammon, the Infernal Mechanic, in Baldur’s Gate 3. We have published a guide to track him down and help Karlach mend her heart.
How to Use Infernal Iron in Baldur’s Gate 3
Since this is primarily a quest item for Karlach in the game, Infernal Iron is used to fix her Infernal engine and progress her storyline. As such, interacting with Dammon uses the Infernal Iron to fix her up. You will need at least two pieces of Infernal Iron to completely mend Karlach’s heart.
However, if you do not have Karlach in your party, Dammon will give you the option to craft heavy armor. Moreover, this is also the case if Karlach’s heart has been repaired, and you have extra Infernal Iron in your inventory.
Then, Dammon will ask you to find him at Baldur’s Gate later in the game. Unfortunately, he never reaches Baldur’s Gate, as the cult of the Absolute ambushes the Tiefling caravan. As such, after you finish Act 1 and enter the Shadow-Covered Lands, you will meet him at The Last Light Inn in Act 2. We hope this guide helped you locate Infernal Iron and Dammon to use this rare material in BG3.