Earlier this morning, the entire gaming industry came together to celebrate the industry’s biggest event, The Game Awards 2018. For those of you who don’t know what The Game Awards is, it’s an Oscars equivalent for the video game industry.
It’s a jam-packed event where the year’s biggest games across multiple platforms are celebrated for their contribution to the industry. The Game Awards has also become a major platform for game developers to showcase what they’re cooking for the years to follow.
We’ll talk more about all the game announcements later, but for now, let’s take a look at all the winners, shall we?
Game of the Year: God of War
The folks over at Sony’s Santa Monica studio had a huge smile on their faces as they walked on to the stage to receive the ‘Game of the Year’ award for ‘God of War’. This category had a ton of other awesome games like the Red Dead Redemption 2, Assassin’s Creed Odyssey, etc., but most of them won awards in different categories.
Best Multiplayer Game: Fortnite
No surprises here either! Fortnite has managed to grab the attention of millions of gamers across the globe with its free-to-play battle royale game that has since to a ton of other platforms like the Nintendo Switch, iOS and Android. It’s truly amazing what Epic Games has been doing for the gaming community, and this, in my opinion, is a well-deserved award.
Much to my expectations, AAA titles like God of War and Red Dead Redemption 2 walked away with a handful of awards each in total.
Here’s a quick list of all the other award categories with their respective winners –
- Best Game Direction: God of War (Sony Santa Monica / SIE)
- Best Narrative: Red Dead Redemption 2
- Best Art Direction: Return of Obra Dinn (3909 LLC)
- Best Music: Red Dead Redemption 2 (Woody Jackson)
- Best Audio Design: Red Dead Redemption 2 (Rockstar Games)
- Best Performance: Roger Clark as Arthur Morgan, Red Dead Redemption 2
- Games for Impact: Celeste (Matt Makes Games)
- Best Independent Game: Celeste (Matt Makes Games)
- Best Debut Indie Game: The Messenger (Sabotage Studio)
- Best Mobile Game: Florence (Mountains / Annapurna Interactive)
- Best VR/AR Game: ASTRO BOT Rescue Mission (SIE Japan Studio / SIE)
- Best Action/Adventure Game: God of War (Sony Santa Monica / SIE)
- Best Role-Playing Game: Monster Hunter: World (Capcom)
- Best Fighting: Dragon Ball FighterZ (Arc System Works / BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment)
- Best Family Game: Overcooked 2 (Ghost Town Games / Team 17)
- Best Strategy Game: Into the Breach (Subset Games)
- Best Sports/ Racing Game: Forza Horizon 4 (Playground Games / Turn 10 Studios / Microsoft Studios)
- Best on-going Game: Fortnite (Epic Games)
- Content Creator of the year: Ninja
- Best Esports Player: Dominique “Sonic Fox” McLean
- Best Esports Team: Cloud9
- Best Esports Game: Overwatch
- Best Esports Host: Eefje “Sjokz” Depoortere
- Best Esports Event: League of Legends World Championship
- Best Esports Coach: Bok “Reapered” Han-gyu
- Best Esports Moment: C9 Comeback Win In Triple OT vs FAZE
Of course, there are other game awards for the year yet to come and if your favourite game of 2018 has not won any accolades yet, there’s still time for other recognition.