The year 2017 is almost nearing its end. This year, we saw plenty of new laptops pop up, each with a new design language, coupled with the latest bells and whistles. With so many advancements in the field of computer technology, there’s a laptop for everyone and for every purpose. So if you’re on the hunt for a laptop, make sure to read our list, as we bring you the best laptops of the year 2017, divided into sub-categories for your convenience:
Best Gaming Laptop of 2017 – Alienware 17 R4
We’ve seen a lot of companies venture into the world of gaming laptops, especially considering the fact that gaming is undoubtedly the world’s biggest tech community. While there may be other manufacturers joining in on the race, Alienware still comes out on top. The company is known for creating the best gaming laptops for over two decades now, and the Alienware 17 R4 is once again the best gaming laptop of the year. The 17.3-inch gaming beast comes with a GTX 1080 and up to 32GB of DDR4 RAM. And while it still houses the 7th gen i7 processor, it has the K-series SoC which is overclocked for dynamic gameplay. Compatible with VR gaming as well, the Alienware 17 R4 is undoubtedly the best gaming laptop that you can buy.
Buy the Alienware 17 R4 ($2,700)
- MSI GT83VR – If money isn’t a constraint, then the MSI GT83VR is practically the most powerful gaming laptop that you can buy. It comes with 2 GTX 1080 GPUs in SLI configuration, as well as a mechanical keyboard for the best-in-class gaming performance. That being said, it is priced ridiculously high at $5,399.
- Asus ROG Zephyrus GX501 – The ASUS Republic of Gamers series has been setting benchmarks for gaming laptops for a long time, and the Zephyrus GX501 is certainly one of the best laptops from the company. It is a gaming beast with the Max-Q design and an NVIDIA G-Sync 120Hz display. You can get the GTX 1080 variant here for $2,700.
Best Ultrabook Laptop of 2017 – Razer Blade Stealth (Late 2017)
Razer might be a brand known for producing stellar gaming peripherals, but the Blade Stealth is their venture into the ultrabook world. And boy, what a laptop this is. While this ultrabook is not capable of gaming which many users might have expected, thanks to the brand name, the Stealth is able to give the best ultrabooks as well as laptops a run for their money. The QHD+ display uses IGZO technology for brighter and more vibrant colors. It weighs just 2.93 pounds and measures 0.52 by 12.6 by 8.1 inches making it easier to carry under one arm. Also, it recently got an upgrade to Intel’s 8th-gen processor lineup, making it the fastest as well as one of the most efficient ultrabooks of the year. All in all, with Razer’s style statement as well, the Blade Stealth is our pick for the best ultrabook of 2017.
Buy the Razer Blade Stealth ($1,399)
- Dell XPS 13 – I won’t deny the fact that the while the Razer Blade Stealth took the award, the XPS 13 was the ultrabook that came the closest to it. The edge-to-edge display in itself is stunning, and it also comes with the newly updated 8th-gen Coffee Lake processors to provide efficient performance. While the awkwardly placed webcam (like the LG Gram) might be a deal breaker to some, the ultrabook is still one of the best options you can buy. You can get the Dell XPS 13 for $1,199.
- HP Spectre 2017 – If overall design is what you’re looking for, the Spectre 2017 is certainly the king here. The Blade Stealth has a polished feel while the XPS has the best display design, but it is the HP Spectre that really shines (quite literally). Had it not been for the rather expensive price tag of $1,699, the Spectre might even have won the award for the best ultrabook.
Best Convertible (2-in-1) Laptop of 2017 – Microsoft Surface Book 2
We’ve seen a lot of convertibles rise to the surface this year, but nothing really compares to the Microsoft Surface Book 2. The 15-inch, while being a tad bit on the higher price side, certainly offers the best bang for its price. While almost all the convertibles on the market house the integrated graphics from Intel, the Surface Book 2 comes with the Nvidia GeForce 1060 which allows you to game on the go as well. Featuring the 8th-gen i7 quad-core processor and design that appeals, the Surface Book 2 packs in the perfect mixture of design with productivity. Oh, and you can also get the Microsoft Surface Pen ($79.99), which acts as the perfect companion for our best convertible of the year.
Buy the Surface Book 2 ($2,899)
- HP Spectre x360 – HP’s Spectre line-up has a great design language, and the x360 is no different. Weighing in at 3 pounds, the convertible has a great keyboard and trackpad, a sharp 4K display and an above-average sound system. While the performance of the laptop is at par with the best, the battery life does take a toll thanks to the power-hungry display. Nonetheless, you can get it for $889.
- Lenovo Yoga 920 – If you’re getting a convertible laptop with a hinge, the Yoga 920 has the best design in the industry for that. A 14″ 2-in-1 with the 8th-gen i7 processor and 16 gigs of RAM make it a worthy contender. Also, coupled with the Lenovo Active Pen 2 ($24.10), the convertible proves to be great for productivity applications. You can purchase it for $1,658.
Best Chromebook Laptop of 2017 – Google Pixelbook
Okay, you might call me silly for naming the Pixelbook the best Chromebook, but just hear me out. Yes, the Pixelbook might seem too expensive at first, but it comes with the best of Google’s features as well. The one-key Google Assistant, the stellar design, as well as the best-in-class features allow it to stand toe-to-toe with not only other Chromebooks but also the best laptops in the same price bracket. The laptop, combined with the Pixelbook Pen is a productivity beast and is one of the first Chromebooks that make me feel that ChromeOS can finally become my daily driver.
Buy the Google Pixelbook ($999)
- Samsung Chromebook Pro – Samsung has been producing Chromebooks for quite a while now, and the Chromebook Pro is one of their best products to date. Featuring a stunning display with a neat and simple design, the Samsung product was actually the first product that brought significant limelight to the ChromeOS, thanks to its touch-heavy inputs and business casual presentation. You can get it here for $499.
- Asus Chromebook Flip – While the Chromebook Flip from Asus doesn’t have a heavyweight SoC underneath its hood, it certainly does hold its ground. The 12.5” Full-HD touchscreen with the flexible 360-degree hinge lasts you up to 10 hours on a single charge. The simple design is a fan favorite, and you can get the Chromebook for $489.
Best Business Laptop of 2017 – Lenovo ThinkPad T470
Business laptops are designed to be much more rigorous and productive than a standard consumer laptop. The ThinkPad lineup from Lenovo has long been holding the fame of the best business laptops, and it shall do so this year as well, thanks to the ThinkPad T470. Built with the familiar but classy raven-black durable design, the laptop features a speedy PCIe SSD and an epic battery life of over 17 hours, a fantastic keyboard, and every possible port, the ThinkPad T470 is a productivity worker’s dream machine.
Buy the ThinkPad T470 ($1,879)
- Apple MacBook Pro with Touchbar – Many people still prefer Apple’s ecosystem for all their work-related tasks. For such users, the MacBook Pro is probably the best laptop that money can get them. While the laptop is nowhere as durable as the ThinkPad, macOS in itself proves to be quite sufficient for many users and their productive work. Oh, and with the new touch bar on the laptop, you can take your productivity to heights you never knew. You can get the laptop for $2,679.
- HP EliteBook x360 – HP’s winning streak with premium design continues with the EliteBook x360 G2, which makes it one of the most stunning business machines out there. The HP EliteBook x360’s great keyboard, stunning looks, long battery life and variety of security features make it one of the best business 2-in-1 laptops. You can buy it for $2,499.
Best Budget Laptop of 2017 – Acer Swift 1
Not everybody wants a powerhouse of a laptop. Some users just want an affordable laptop for web surfing and other simple options. While ChromeOS does offer a lot of options, there are some users who prefer to stick to Windows for their daily tasks. In that aspect, the Acer Swift 1 is probably your best bet. The Acer Swift 1 might be a little low on storage, which you can expand with an SD-card, but it is the only budget laptop to offer a full-HD display. Standing tall at 13.3inches, the laptop sets a benchmark in the budget segment and is our pick of the best budget laptop of 2017 for the sheer amount of value of money that you get with this device.
Buy the Acer Swift 1 ($319)
Dell Inspiron 11 i3162 – If you’re looking to buy a basic laptop for your kids at home, the Dell Inspiron 11 i3162 is right up your alley. It packs in an 11.6″ screen with 4GB RAM and 32GB of onboard storage and is powered by the Intel Celeron N3060. All this, for the low price of just $190.
Lenovo IdeaPad 120s – This cheap laptop from Lenovo might come with just 2GB of RAM but proves to be quite enough for day-to-day tasks. Powered by the Intel Celeron N3350, the laptop comes with 32GB onboard storage, with the option to expand it using a microSD card. Also, unlike most budget laptops, this one also houses an HDMI as well as a USB-C port. You can get this tiny champ for just $193.
SEE ALSO: 8 Best NVIDIA G-Sync Laptops You Can Buy
What Are Your Picks For The Best Laptops of 2017?
While smartphones are getting smarter and smarter day by day, I still believe that they can still never replace a full-fledged portable computer. Most of us still rely on laptops for our work and entertainment. Well, that was our list of the best laptops of the year 2017. But what about you? Do you agree with our picks, or would you like to suggest some other laptops? We’d love to hear your pick of the best laptops in the comments down below.