Every Android device comes with certain apps that are responsible for its core functions. Termed as system apps, these bind with the OS and cannot be uninstalled unless you have a rooted device. On the other hand, the apps that you download from the Play Store can be easily uninstalled and do not enjoy system privileges, like the system apps. However, there are some apps, like a file manager or a camera app that you don’t want to be uninstalled or erased even when you format your Android device. Well, if your device is rooted, you are in luck, as you can easily convert those third-party apps into system apps. Well, here are the steps to convert a user app to a system app:
- A rooted Android device
- File Manager app that allows you to access root files
Convert user app to a system app
1. There are several good file managers available on the Play Store that allow easy access to root files. However, we are using the ES File Explorer (Free).
2. Firstly, open ES File Explorer and swipe from the left to open the navigation drawer and enable the “Root Explorer” option. You might get a prompt from the SuperUser app to grant root access to the app.
3. Now, go back to the app’s home page. Here, you have to open the “Internal Storage” folder and tap on “/” button on top to access the system files.
4. Inside the “/“ aka the device folder, head to the “data” and then the “app” folder to access the all the installed apps. Here, you will find the data folders of all the third-party apps listed together. Now, long press on the folder of the app that you want to convert as system app and select the “cut” option.
For instance, we have chosen the Facebook Lite app to be converted into a system app. So, in this case, the folder that we will be copying is com.facebook.lite-1.
5. Now, navigate back to the previous “/” folder and open the “system” folder. Here, you need to open the “app” folder. You will see names of all the system app folders listed here. All you need to do now is paste the copied app folder here.
6. After your selected app has been copied into the system app folder, you will have to grant certain access permissions to the folder. For that, you have to long press on the app folder and open its “Properties“. Then, tap on the “Change” button next to the “Permissions” option. Here, you have to allow Read, Write and Execute permissions.
7. There’s also an APK file of your selected app inside the folder that you just copied. Like the folder, you need to allow certain permissions to the APK file. For that, you have to open the app folder and open the “Properties” of the APK file by long pressing on it. Then, enable all the checkboxes for the Read, Write and Execute permissions as shown in the second screenshot below.
Once you are done with the above-mentioned steps, simply reboot the device and the app you selected will be installed as a system app. You can check that by going to Settings->Apps and selecting the app. Here, you won’t find the uninstall option, which confirms the app as a system app.
SEE ALSO: How to Uninstall Multiple Apps in Android on Rooted and Non-Rooted Devices
Convert a user app to system app with these steps
So, by following these steps, you will be able to convert your favorite app or game from the Play Store into a system app. You can also do this for the apps downloaded from third-party sources. However, we would strictly ask you to refrain from doing so, as they might be malicious and may cause harm to your device.
Well, that is all from our side. If you face any issues while undertaking this process or have an easier process to suggest us, do mention it in the comments section below.
Beebom leave a reply
Not working. I can’t start the app (maildroid) anylonger.
while i paste the app folder it shows not enough space plz resolve it
I already installed an app(kernel adiutor) as system app and grant it read and write access and now it cant be uninstalled, but the app still ask for root permission after i unroot even though now it is system app? I need the app, but i dont want my phone rooted. Please help.
Does not working!!!!