Facebook certainly does not have a good track record when it comes to protecting the privacy of its users. It has been victim to numerous privacy scandals, including the infamous Cambridge Analytica incident from 2018 and the 2021 Facebook data breach that compromised the data of over 533 million Facebook users. If Facebook’s latest security lapse has sent you into a panic, and you are looking to permanently delete your account, you’ve come to the right place. Here’s how you can delete your Facebook account on the web, Android, and iOS. We will also show you how to get rid of all your Facebook data, so buckle up and get ready to leave behind your Facebook days.
Steps to Delete Facebook Account (2021)
Steps to Undertake Before Account Deletion
Back up and Download Data
The first step before you delete your account is to create a backup of all your Facebook data and download it to your computer or mobile device. It will let you hold on to precious status updates, photos, videos, messages, friends list, and everything else you did on Facebook. So think of it as a memory bank for your social media life.
1. To download your Facebook data, you need to navigate to Settings -> Your Facebook Information and choose the ‘Download Your Information’ option.
2. On the next page, click on ‘Create File’ to generate the backup. You can choose the data you want to download, the format (HTML or JSON), and the image quality on this page. If you don’t want to save your Facebook gaming profile or group interactions, you can do that.
Disconnect Third-Party Apps
The next most important step is to disconnect third-party apps for which you used Facebook to sign up. It plays right into the Facebook–Cambridge Analytica data scandal from 2018. Reports suggest that third-party apps may also be compromised, so it’s safe to disconnect them from Facebook and update their login credentials.
1. To disconnect third-party apps, you need to navigate to ‘Settings -> Apps & websites’ to see the list of apps and websites where you log in with Facebook. Choose the apps you want to disconnect and click the ‘Remove’ button.
2. When the confirmation prompt appears, click on ‘Remove’ again. At this point, you should know that your data in those apps might get reset, so you might want to sign up with an email address for those apps and link your data. You can also choose to send notifications to those apps for setting up an alternate login method.
Delete Facebook Account on the Web
1. Navigate to Facebook, click the drop-down arrow at the top right corner and select ‘Settings & Privacy -> Settings’ from the list of available options.
2. Under Settings, select ‘Your Facebook Information’ from the left sidebar menu.
3. You will now see the ‘Deactivation and Deletion’ option. Click on the ‘View’ button next to it to proceed further.
4. You can now choose to temporarily deactivate or permanently delete your Facebook account. Choose ‘Delete Account’ and click on ‘Continue to Account Deletion’.5. Facebook will ask for your password and remind you that you are going to delete your account permanently. You won’t be able to recover it after the deletion process has begun. Enter the password and click on ‘Continue’ to complete the process. Congrats, you have deleted your account!
6. Finally, we would recommend you clear the browser cache and history to automatically log out of all web apps linked to your Facebook account.
Delete Facebook Account on Android
The process to delete your Facebook account on mobile in 2021 is quite the same as that on the web, but you need to navigate through a couple of new menus. Follow the steps below to delete your account through the Facebook app on Android:
Note: We tested out this account deletion process in the Facebook app, version 322.214.171.124.119, on the Pixel 3 XL running Android 12 developer beta 2.
1. In the Facebook app, switch to the hamburger menu at the right and scroll down until you find ‘Settings’ under the ‘Settings & Privacy’ section.
2. Now scroll down and tap the ‘Account Ownership and Control’ option under the ‘Your Facebook Information’ section.
3. Here, tap on the ‘Deactivation and Deletion’ option.
4. You can choose to deactivate or delete your Facebook account from the app here. Choose ‘Delete Account’ and tap on ‘Continue to Account Deletion.’
5. Finally, choose a reason to leave Facebook and then tap on ‘Continue to Account Deletion’ to quit the social media platform for good.
Delete Facebook Account on iPhone
Apart from a few visual differences in button placements, the account deletion process is the same as Facebook for Android. However, you can follow the steps below to avoid confusion and delete your Facebook account on iPhone:
1. Open the Facebook app on your iPhone and tap on the hamburger menu. Here, you’ll find ‘Settings’ under the ‘Settings & Privacy’ menu.
2. Scroll down until you find ‘Account Ownership and Control’ option under the ‘Your Facebook Information’ section.
3. Now, tap on the ‘Deactivation and Deletion’ option.
4. Select the ‘Delete Account’ option and tap on ‘Continue to account deletion’ to proceed further.
5. Pick a reason to delete your Facebook account or tap on ‘Continue to Account Deletion’ to free yourself from Facebook. If you did not back up your data yet, the app prompts you to do so before moving forward.
And voila, you have now learned how to delete your Facebook account via the website and Android and iOS apps.
Delete Facebook Account in Easy Steps
The above steps will initiate the account deletion process, but your profile will not be removed from the platform instantly. You can cancel your request to delete the Facebook account within 30 days. Further, Facebook claims that it takes up to 90 days for all the information in your profile to be deleted from the company’s servers. It, however, will not include data such as messages you’ve sent to someone on Facebook Messenger and other residual data for your interactions with others. So here’s to a happier life without Facebook and its privacy nightmares! Also don’t worry, you will still be able to search Facebook without an account.