If you are a Valorant player who is bored-to-death of their display name (or in-game username) and tagline, I bring you a piece of good news today. Did you know that you can change your display name and tagline in Valorant in a few simple steps? Well, if you did not, be sure to read this article till the end to learn all about how to manage your Riot account and change your display name and tagline in Valorant.
Change Name and Tagline in Valorant (2021)
Before we move to the step-by-step process to change the display name and tagline in Valorant, let us talk about what exactly does the display name and tagline mean. Also, we will discuss if there are any restrictions to changing your display name in Valorant in this article. You can use the table below to move to any relevant section of your choice.
What Is Display Name and Tagline in Valorant?
If you are a regular Valorant player or started playing this uber-popular FPS game just recently, I’m sure you must have had to create a Riot account before starting the game. During the sign-up process, the developer gives you the option to set a username and an alphanumeric tagline for your Riot ID. That acts as the primary login ID for your Riot account.
So, if you log in to Valorant with your Riot account, the game takes the username and tagline automatically. Now, if you desire, you can change the name and tagline of your Valorant account in a few simple steps. However, it is essential to take note of a few points that we have described in the next section.
Things to Remember Before Changing Your Valorant Name
Now, here are a few things that you need to keep in mind before you learn about the process of changing the name and tagline of your Riot ID in Valorant. Remember the following before you proceed any further:
1. Although you can change your Riot ID, which is a combination of your display name and tagline in Valorant, you cannot change the primary username that you use to log in to your Riot account.
2. At this point, we should also mention that changing your Valorant name is equal to changing your Riot ID. That means your display name will change across all games under Riot’s banner, including League of Legends, Teamfight Tactics, and more. So think twice before you go ahead and change your Riot ID username.
3. Now, you must be wondering – are there any limitations to what we can or cannot include in our Valorant username? Oh well, yes. Riot Games states that your name shouldn’t contain hate speech, slurs, or profanity (either implicitly or explicitly). Also, you cannot include any personally identifiable information like your address or phone number in the username.
4. This is the most important point that you should remember before changing your Valorant username. Once you change the display name and tagline of your Riot ID (aka Valorant account), you cannot change it again for 30 days.
Now, it is also worth mentioning that you cannot change your Valorant credentials in-game. You will require a web browser to sign in to your Riot account for the task, as we have explained in detail below.
How to Change Display Name and Tagline in Valorant
With all that out of the way, let’s move on and check out the step-by-step process to change your Valorant display name and tagline.
1. Open a web browser on your computer and go to the official Riot Sign-in page.
2. Here, provide your primary username and password to log into your Riot account. As a safety measure, Riot will send a verification code to your registered email address, which you need to input that on the next page to log in.
3. Once you are logged in, move to the ‘Riot ID’ section from the left pane if you aren’t already there.
4. You will then see your Riot ID on the right pane on the same settings page. This is where you can change your Valorant name. Just type in a new Riot ID and Tagline in the respective text fields.
5. Click the “Save Changes” button in the Riot ID section to confirm your username change. And voila! You now have a new display name and tagline in Valorant.
Yea, it is that easy to change your username in Valorant. The new display name and tagline will be reflected once you log back in to play the game the next time. Following the change, Riot will show you the date when you can change your Riot ID credential once again.
Other Riot Account Management Features
Other than allowing you to change your Valorant display name, the Riot Account Management page also lets you customize some other things in your account. Although you cannot change your primary username, you can update your password and the registered email ID from the relevant sections.
Furthermore, you can scroll down to access the Connected Accounts section. Here, you can link your Google, Facebook, and Apple account(s) with your Riot account, enabling the social sign-in functionality that Riot introduced recently.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I Change My Name on Valorant?
Yes, you can easily change your Valorant username in a few simple steps. You need to log into your Riot account in a browser and change the Riot ID and tagline. Then, restart the game to see your updated name in Valorant.
Do I Need to Pay to Change My Valorant Username?
Unlike League of Legends, which requires you to pay a charge for Summoner Name Change, you can change your Valorant name for free. You don’t need to spend any money to change your display name and tagline in Valorant.
How Often Can I Change My Valorant Name (or Riot ID)?
While Riot Games allows you to change your Valorant name for free, it has imposed a minor restriction as to how often you can change it. You can only change your username once every 30 days. And no, you cannot bypass the 30-day period and will be stuck with that Valorant username for 30 days. So think hard before you choose a new Riot ID and tagline.
How Long Can a Valorant Name Be?
Riot IDs, which is also your Valorant name, need to be at least 3 letters and up to 16 letters long. They can be alphanumeric, so you have a lot of room to play with. However, remember that names that are offensive and violate Valorant’s code of conduct can be reported and go through an automated check process. If a player is found to be in violation of this rule, they can be forced to change their name the next time they log into their account.
Change Valorant Username in a Few Clicks!
So these are some of the important things that you can do through the Riot Account Management page. I hope this in-depth guide helps you better manage your Riot ID and change the display name and tagline of your Valorant account from time to time. If it does, do let us know in the comments below. Also, tell us which is your favorite agent and why? We would love to hear your opinions on this subject.