Apart from all the grayscale and neutral-colored blocks in Minecraft, there are also highly contrasting and colorful blocks. Their main goal is to allow you to bring life and character to your Minecraft house or base builds. Thankfully, those gorgeous blocks are simple to obtain in most cases, thanks to their crafting recipes. One of the essential components in this process is the dyes in Minecraft, as they are actually the ones coloring the various blocks. We cover one of those dyes, the green dye, in this article and share everything you need to know about it.
So, let’s not waste time and learn how to make green dye in Minecraft right now. We have listed the items you need to make this dye color, along with its crafting recipe and locations where you can find it naturally in the overworld.
What is Green Dye in Minecraft?
Green dye is one of the game’s primary color dyes in Minecraft. It’s also an item that you can obtain through smelting cactus, which is the most reliable way to get it. It’s also used in several crafting recipes.
Resources You Need to Make Green Dye
The best and fastest way to obtain green dye is by smelting cactus in a furnace. So, the resources you are going to need are:
- Fuel (any)
Cactus is a plant block that grows similarly to sugar cane in Minecraft. You will only come across cactus in dry Minecraft biomes, such as deserts and badlands. Follow our detailed guide on how to get cactus. Furnace is one of the most basic Minecraft blocks you can craft. We have a dedicated article on how to make a furnace as well. So if you are new to the game and need any help with it, you know where to look. Fuel can be any burnable material in-game, such as sticks, logs, coal, charcoal, various wooden blocks, etc.
Green Dye Crafting Recipe in Minecraft
After you have got all the items, it’s time to smelt cactus in a furnace to make green dye in Minecraft. Follow the step-by-step process below to get the green dye.
- Select the furnace on your hotbar and right-click the ground to place it in your world.
- Then, right-click on the furnace to open its UI. Place the fuel of your choice in the bottom slot on the left.
- After that, you can place the cactus or cacti, depending on how many green dyes you want, in the upper slot on the left.
- You will notice the arrow in the middle starts to fill up. This means you need to wait for the process to finish, and it will take just a few seconds.
- Once the smelting is done, you will see the green dye item appear in the slot on the right.
- To take it out of the furnace, just click on it and move it to your inventory. After that, you cannot put it back in the furnace anymore.
- Also, every time you smelt something, you will get some XP as a reward. This includes the green dye recipe. If you wish to farm XP, we suggest you make a mob XP farm in Minecraft.
How to Find Green Dye in Your World
If you don’t wish to craft the dye, you have a couple more options available to you to get the green dye in Minecraft. If you are nowhere near a desert biome and just cannot find a cactus, you may want to stick around a bit more and keep reading.
1. In Desert Village Chest
If you cannot find a desert in the vanilla survival world, then this is not really useful information. However, if you are playing on a custom map or mod that’s testing your knowledge about this blocky game, it is good to know that green dye can generate in a desert village house chest. There’s about a 14.3% chance of this happening, so not exactly guaranteed.
2. From Wandering Traders
This is not really a method for finding raw green dye item in your world, but definitely an alternative way of getting it. Wandering traders have a chance to sell three green dye for an emerald. This is the case for other dyes as well. If you would like to learn about wandering traders in detail, check out our guide on all Minecraft villager jobs linked here.