So, you’ve just bought an Apple smartwatch and wondering where’s the power button so you can turn on or off your Apple Watch. The process to turn on an Apple Watch for the first time might be a little tricky for beginners, but it’s actually super simple. So, if you’re new to Apple smartwatches or haven’t needed to turn off your iWatch yet, we’ve got you covered. In this nifty guide, we’ll show you how to turn on and off any Apple Watch.
Note: The steps mentioned below are applicable to all Apple Watch models.
How to Turn On Apple Watch
1. Locate the pill-shaped side button that’s present below the Digital Crown.
2. Press and hold the side button for about 5 seconds. You’ll then see the Apple logo and your iWatch will take a minute to turn On.
3. If your smartwatch doesn’t turn on, it might be out of charge. Place it on a charger and let it charge uninterruptedly for a few minutes. If you see a red lightning bolt, charge your smartwatch for at least 30 minutes and then turn it on.
4. Once you see the Watch Face, it means your Apple Watch is now turned on.
How to Turn Off Apple Watch
1. If your iWatch is connected to a charger, you’ll need to disconnect it before you can turn off it.
2. Press and hold the side button on your Apple Watch until you see the power slider.
3. Tap the Power button present at the top-right corner.
4. Finally, drag the Power Off Slider to the right to turn off your Apple Watch.
5. On watchOS 8 or previous versions, simply press & hold the side button and then drag the Power Off slider to turn your Apple Watch off.
6. While you’ve shut down your Apple Watch, you can still press & hold the digital crown to see the time.
How to Force Restart Apple Watch
In case you can’t turn off your Apple smartwatch, perform a restart, or the display turns unresponsive, you can force restart your Apple Watch. To do this, press and hold the Digital Crown and the side button simultaneously for about 10 seconds. When you see the Apple logo, release the buttons.
Frequently Asked Questions
The pill or oval-shaped side button that’s present below the Digital Crown is the power button on your Apple Watch.
Generally, it takes less than a minute to turn on an Apple Watch. However, if your iWatch is completely out of charge, you’ll first have to put it to charge for at least 30 minutes to 1 hour and then it will take a minute to start up.
Press and hold the side button until the power slider appears on the screen. Then, tap the power button and drag the power slider to the right to switch off your Apple smartwatch.
To turn on your Apple Watch Series 8 or any other model for the first time, press and hold the side button until you see the Apple logo. Then, put it on your wrist and set up your Apple Watch using an iPhone running iOS 16 or higher.