AirDrop is Apple’s proprietary wireless file transfer technology that allows you to transfer photos, videos, files, and more between Apple devices that are in close proximity to each other. While AirDrop is handy, recognizing other devices can sometimes get confusing when you have two iPhones or Macs running on the same Apple ID. And to solve this problem, Apple allows you to personalize your AirDrop name to make it easier to recognize devices and share files. Keep reading to learn how to change your AirDrop name on iPhone, iPad, and Mac.
How to Change AirDrop Name on iPhone or iPad
Earlier, changing the AirDrop name on your iPhone was a bit more of a complex task as it required you to make changes to your contact card. However, with iOS 16, Apple made the process a lot simpler, as you just need to change your iPhone’s name now and the same reflects on your AirDrop. Here’s how:
1. Open the “Settings” app on your iPhone or iPad.
2. Locate and tap the “General” section.
3. Here, tap the “About” option, then tap “Name.”
4. Now, tap the “X” icon to remove the current AirDrop name, then add the new Name, and tap Done.
While you are here, also check out AirDrop not working? Learn how to fix!
How to Change AirDrop Name on Mac
Like iPhone and iPad, the steps to change the AirDrop name on Mac are also pretty straightforward, and you can do so in just a few clicks. Here’s how you can:
1. Launch the “System Settings” on your Mac.
2. Click the General from the left tab, then click the About option.
3. Now, Select your Current MacBook Name and type in the New Name.
And that’s it; this is how you can change AirDrop name on your Apple devices.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Unfortunately, you can’t make your AirDrop anonymous, but you can change your AirDrop name so others can’t identify you.
Apple has kept your AirDrop visibility confined to your contacts only, but you can change it to everyone from settings.
Go to Settings -> General -> AirDrop