- You can add a second Face ID profile for yourself or another person on your iPhone.
- To do that, go to Settings -> Face ID & Passcode -> Set Up an Alternate Appearance and follow the on-screen instructions.
- If you've already set it up and want to remove it, go to Settings -> Face ID & Passcode and reset your Face ID settings.
Do you often use your iPhone with your partner or sibling? Do you have to unlock the device for them all the time? Interestingly, you can add another Face ID on the iPhone so that you both can easily unlock, sign in, and make purchases on the device. Also, if you often wear glasses or a mask, and your iPhone doesn’t recognize your Face ID, you can use this option. If you’ve used an iPhone with Touch ID, you would probably remember that it allowed you to add up to five fingerprints. Right! So, you must be thinking if you can add multiple Face IDs on an iPhone or not. Well, we’ve answered everything in this article. So, let’s get started.
To make the Face ID technology more reliable and secure, Apple added the Alternate Appearance option with iOS 12. This comes in handy for people who carry drastically different looks. Also, you can use it to add your spouse’s or sibling’s face to your device. Here’s how to do it:
Warning: When you add a second Face ID, that person will have complete control over your iPhone. They can unlock your iPhone, make purchases using Face ID, pay via Apple Pay, and do other stuff. So, be careful when enabling this feature.
- Open the Settings app on your iPhone.
- Tap on Face ID & Passcode. Enter your iPhone’s passcode to access this section.
- Tap on Set up an Alternate Appearance and hit the Get Started button.
- Now, position your face inside the frame and move along the instructions on the screen. If you’re adding the Face ID for another person, hand over your iPhone and ask them to follow the on-screen instructions.
- If you (or another person) have some physical disability, use the Accessibility Options while setting up the Face ID. With this, you don’t have to make a full range of head motion and the facial recognition is still secure. Remember that you have to be more consistent in how you look at the iPhone.
- In case you wish to add another Face ID on the iPhone for a blind or person with low vision, go to Settings -> Accessibility and disable Require Attention for Face ID. This won’t require them to look at the iPhone with their eyes open.
Once you’ve done this, you and the other person (for whom you’ve set up the Face ID) can sign in to the iPhone using Face ID.
In case you don’t see the Set Up an Alternate Appearance option, you would probably have already used that option. In that case, you’ll first have to Reset the Face ID to erase both facial profiles. To do this, head to Settings -> Face ID & Passcode -> Reset Face ID.
Once done, you can set up a new Face ID for yourself and then add a second Face ID that you want your iPhone to recognize.
So you see, it’s that easy to add another Face ID on an iPhone. In case of any doubts, feel free to ping us in the comments section below.
Yes, you can add a second Face ID using the Set Up an Alternate Appearance option in iPhone Settings.
You can set up two Face IDs on an iPhone. The first one with the Set Up Face ID option and another one with the Set Up an Alternate Appearance. In case you already have two profile appearances for yourself, you’ll have to use the Reset Face ID option to erase both profiles and then set the Face IDs again.