Dying in games like Minecraft is much more devastating than usual because you spawn far away from your death spot and end up losing a bunch of important resources. Not to forget, places like the lava pools in the Nether dimension destroy most of your items as soon as you die, leaving no chance of recovery at all. Fortunately, Minecraft has a temporary solution to all such situations in the form of totems. If you know how to get a Totem of Undying in Minecraft, you can essentially get a get-out-of-jail-free card against death in Minecraft. It is a semi-rare item, which is not that hard to obtain. But how are you supposed to find it? Let’s learn that in this guide!
Get Totem of Undying in Minecraft (2022)
We are covering the mechanics of Totem of Undying, including its spawning, usage, and even an option to bypass it. Use the table below to explore the sections that interest you the most.
What is Totem of Undying
The Totem of Undying is an uncommon combat item that prevents you from dying in Minecraft. Irrespective of the cause of your character’s death, the Totem of Undying counters it and gives you a second chance at life in the game. Now, keep in mind that it does not make you immortal, instead its holder’s latest death gets undone each time the totem activates. The Totem of Undying works in all game modes, including survival, adventure, and even hardcore mode.
In appearance, the Totem of Undying looks like a golden doll with emeralds for eyes. On activation, it does a dance-like animation before disappearing. It is not foolproof as it can’t protect you from death caused by void damage or the “/kill” command. Moreover, along with temporary immunity, the totem also gives you a couple of additional benefits, including:
- Absorption II for 5 seconds
- Regeneration II for 45 seconds (Java) or 40 seconds (Bedrock)
- Fire Resistance I for 40 seconds
How to Get Totem of Undying in Minecraft
The Totem of Undying doesn’t spawn naturally in the world of Minecraft. Instead, you have to kill Evokers to make them drop this item as mob loot. They are the spell-casting member of the Illager hostile mob family and can be extremely dangerous. But since Evokers are the only source of Totem of Undying in Minecraft, there is no way to avoid the fight. Luckily, it’s simple to meet them, and here’s how to find them.
The Evokers naturally spawn in Woodland Mansions in the overworld,which you can easily reach using these mansion seeds in Minecraft. These are large Illager structures with a bunch of hostile mobs. You can find up to three Evokers in each Woodland mansion, but once an Evoker dies, the mansion doesn’t spawn a new one in its place. So, it isn’t the most reliable source to get an unlimited supply of totems.
If you can’t find a mansion to fight with the Evoker, you can use raids to invite an evoker to you. Here’s how.
1. First, find a Pillager Outpost in Minecraft. They usually generate after every few hundred blocks in a variety of overworld biomes.
2. Then, kill all the Pillagers residing in and around the outpost. Your main target should be the Patrol Leader who carries an Illager banner on its head.
3. Once the Patrol Leader pillager dies, the game will give you a Bad Omen status effect. It is visible on the side of your player inventory.
4. Then, you need to visit a village, and the Bad Omen effect will trigger a raid event. This will make the game spawn a bunch of hostile mobs from the Pillager family, and you need to fight them. Each raid usually goes on for multiple waves, and you can see the number of enemies alive in the health bar at top of your screen.
5. Finally, you have to kill Evokers, which are a part of the raid event, to get Totems of Undying.
Tips to Kill the Evoker in Minecraft
Fighting an Evoker, especially with a bunch of other powerful hostile mobs, can easily become overwhelming. So here are some tips you can use to improve your chance of survival:
- Create a bunch of Iron Golems to protect you
- Use Netherite armor for additional protection
- Keep a Potion of Healing handy to restore health
- Rely on the best bow enchantments in Minecraft to fight Evoker from a distance
- Create an Ender chest to store your most valuable items including extra Totems of Undying
- If you somehow end up dying, make and use a recovery compass to get your items back
How to Use Totem of Undying in Minecraft
Using the Totem of Undying is simple. You simply need to hold the Totem of Undying in your hand before dying to activate it. This item doesn’t work if it’s in your inventory, Hotbar (bar at the bottom of your screen), or other storage cells.
But keeping the Totem of Undying in your main hand can prevent you from using a variety of items in Minecraft. So, you should press the “F” key, while holding it, to send it to your offhand. You can also manually place the Totem in your offhand through player inventory. Players usually use their offhand to hold shields or have them empty.
Who Can Use Totem of Undying
The Totem of Undying is mostly targeted toward players but any Minecraft mob that can pick up items can use it. Some of these mobs are:
Bonus: How to Bypass Totem of Undying
While the Totem of Undying seems like a blessing for its users, it can be extremely frustrating to see your enemies using it. Fortunately, there is an old bug on the Java edition that allows you to bypass it. Here’s how to use it:
1. First, make an Arrow of Harming (Instant Damage) by combining 8 arrows with a Lingering Potion of Harming (Instant Damage).
2. Then, reduce your opponent’s health to the bare minimum (half heart), so that the Arrow of Harming is enough to kill them.
3. Finally, attack and kill your opponent with the Arrow of Harming. This arrow should be the object that kills them. So, you can use a bunch of them to make sure this is the final damage they take.
Due to the bug, the Totem of Undying activates a couple of seconds after the player dies because of the Arrow of Harming. Since it cannot revive dead players, the totem user not only dies but also ends up losing their Totem of Undying. As per our testing, the bug got patched in 1.19.3 but there is no official confirmation of the same yet. Though, you can surely use it in the earlier versions, which most Minecraft PvP servers are currently using.
Frequently Asked Questions
Totem of Undying can’t protect you from the death caused by void. So, if you fall into the void, you will end up losing all of your items, including the Totem of Undying.
The shield is better in direct combat. But if you want to escape a fight or survive at extremely low health, then Totem of Undying is the better option.
You can’t craft the Totem of Undying in Minecraft. It can only be obtained through mob loot, which we have explained in our guide.
Find and Use Totem of Undying in Minecraft
Whether you want to fight the Warden in Minecraft or explore the depths of the Nether dimension, you can now do so without the fear of dying. Though, we suggest you not use this rare item haphazardly. Instead, relying on the best Minecraft enchantments might be a better play. Though, if you want to avoid fall damage in Minecraft, there might not be a better option than equipping this while youfalling. With that said, how are you going to use the Totem of Undying? Tell us in the comments below.