Most mobs in Minecraft are either hostile or do not react toward the players. But among the bunch, there is also Iron Golem, an entity that kills dangerous creatures and protects players and villagers. In a way, it acts like the ultimate bodyguard in the game. So, all you need to do is learn how to make an iron golem in Minecraft, and you can let it take care of all the in-game combat for you. It’s one of Minecraft’s most reliable ways to kill the Warden as well. Having said that, it’s time to learn the best ways to make an Iron Golem in Minecraft!
How to Make an Iron Golem in Minecraft (2022)
We will first cover the behavior and mechanics of Iron Golems in this blocky game. If you are familiar with them, use the table below to skip to the crafting process.
What is an Iron Golem in Minecraft
The Iron Golem in Minecraft is a neutral mob that is naturally confrontational towards hostile mobs. It attacks almost all dangerous mobs it encounters, and thanks to its massive strength, the Iron Golem can even kill most of them with ease. By doing that, it protects all the players and villagers in its vicinity.
They are one of the few mobs that spawn naturally and can also be created manually. It is worth noting that the Iron Golems that spawn naturally can kill players if they are threatened. But, the manually created Iron Golems don’t ever attack players.
How Do Iron Golems Spawn
Naturally, Iron Golems spawn in the following locations:
- Pillager Outpost (trapped in cages)
- Villages (in open central areas)
Thanks to the Iron Golems’ spawning mechanics being intertwined with the villagers, you can create preferable conditions to spawn them manually. An Iron Golem can spawn naturally if the following conditions are met:
- There are three or more villagers in the area
- The villagers are gossiping or panicking about a hostile mob
- No other Iron Golem is present to protect them
- The area has a valid spot where the Iron Golem can spawn
Items You Need to Make an Iron Golem
You need the following items to make an Iron Golem in Minecraft:
- 4 Iron blocks (made of 36 iron ingots)
- Carved Pumpkin or Jack o’Lantern
How to Make Iron Ingots
To get an iron block, you have to combine 9 iron ingots on a crafting table. So, you need a total of 36 iron ingots to make 4 iron blocks that you need for creating an Iron Golem in Minecraft.
To collect the iron ingots, you’ll first have to mine iron ores that spawn in the caves of the overworld. You can use our Minecraft 1.1 9 ore distribution guide to easily find iron in no time. After collecting the raw iron from the ore block, you have to smelt it inside a furnace or a blast furnace to turn it into iron ingots.
How to Make a Carved Pumpkin
Follow the steps below to make a carved pumpkin in Minecraft:
1. First, find a pumpkin but don’t break it yet. They most commonly spawn in farms found in villages. If you are making multiple iron golems, it’s best to create an easy Minecraft pumpkin farm first.
2. Then, use two iron ingots to craft a shear in Minecraft.
3. Finally, use the shear on the pumpkin to turn it into a carved pumpkin. You can now break the pumpkin to collect it.
Note: This is an optional step, but if you combine the carved pumpkin with a torch, it will turn into a jack o’lantern. You can either use a carved pumpkin or a jack o’lantern to create an Iron Golem. The golem’s design and function aren’t affected by the type of pumpkin.
Minecraft Iron Golen: Crafting Recipe
Once you have all the required items, you need to follow the below steps and assemble them to create an Iron Golem in Minecraft:
1. First, place two iron blocks on top of one another to create a tiny tower-like structure.
2. Then, put two iron blocks on the opposite sides of the upper iron block to make a T shape. Make sure you are creating this Iron Golem structure in an open area, or at least nothing is blocking the placed blocks.
3. Finally, to finish creating the iron golem, place the carved pumpkin or jack o’lantern on top of the structure. The structure will break, and a new iron golem will spawn immediately.
In the Bedrock edition, you can also use a regular pumpkin to craft the iron golem. Minecraft Java edition only allows you to use a carved pumpkin or jack o’lantern for its head.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is needed to breed Iron Golems?
You can’t breed Iron Golems. But you can make them spawn manually using villager mechanics. We already have a tutorial to make an Iron Golem farm in Minecraft with these mechanics.
How do you tame an Iron Golem?
There is no way to tame an Iron Golem in Minecraft. Though, it is possible to keep them around by using a lead and tying them to a fence.
Do Snow Golems protect you?
Similar to Iron Golems, you can also make Snow Golems in Minecraft. They use snowballs to attack and kill hostile mobs.
Why is my Iron Golem not spawning?
Even with the correct structure, an Iron Golem might not spawn if there is not enough open space around it. So, it’s best to create one with at least one block space on all sides, except the bottom.
Make Your Own Minecraft Iron Golem Today
Whether you need a bodyguard or a new friend, now you can make an Iron Golem in Minecraft. But it isn’t the only friendly mob to support you in this adventure. You can also try finding villagers with different jobs who can provide you with a variety of rare items with great trade deals. Though, you will first need to find and collect emeralds in Minecraft to make the most out of villager trading. With that said, how are you planning to use an Iron Golem in Minecraft? Tell us in the comments below!