In another controversial announcement, Elon Musk capped how many posts Twitter users can view in a day. Crazy, right? Currently, the Twitter Rate Limit has been increased to 10K posts for verified accounts, 1K for unverified accounts, and 500 for new unverified accounts. Consequently, Twitter users are facing errors like “Rate limit exceeded” or “Cannot retrieve Tweets at this time” when viewing tweets, and that is forcing users to look for Twitter alternatives. That said, here are some nifty ways to bypass the Twitter Rate Limit. In this guide, we have included three different ways to fix the “Rate limit exceeded” error. On that note, let’s begin.
Bypass the Twitter Rate Limit Using OldTwitter Extension
You can bypass the Twitter Rate Limit by installing the OldTwitter extension in your desktop browser. It will restore the original Twitter layout from 2015 which will work without any restrictions. A developer who goes by the name of dimden has developed the extension for Chrome, Edge and Firefox. The code is open-source and the developer has not changed anything in the original CSS layout. With all that said, here is how it works.
1. Open the web browser and install the OldTwitter extension from the below links. If you use a Chromium-based browser, you can use the Chrome link to install the extension.
2. After the installation, open twitter.com (visit) in your browser, and you will move to the old layout that surprisingly works. Now, you will not face errors like “Rate limit exceeded” or “Cannot retrieve Tweets at this time” anymore.
3. You can also customize the old Twitter layout by clicking on the extension from the toolbar.
4. Here, you can set the Twitter feed to reverse chronological order or move to the algorithmic “For You” feed. There are also other options that you can customize.
Bypass the Twitter Rate Limit Using Opera GX Browser
In a surprising turn of events, Opera GX has released a patch for its gaming-centric browser that bypasses Twitter Rate Limit and fixes quote tweets as well. The best part is that it works on both desktop and smartphone versions of Opera GX without changing the Twitter layout.
2. Now, launch the Opera GX browser and open twitter.com (visit). Now, you will not face errors like “Rate limit exceeded” or “Cannot retrieve Tweets at this time”. In addition, quote tweets will also load fine.
Bypass the Twitter Rate Limit on Android and iOS Mobile
If you are using the Twitter app on your Android or iOS smartphone and getting errors such as “Rate limit exceeded” or “Cannot retrieve Tweets at this time,” here is an easy way to fix the issue.
1. Users using the Twitter app on Android or iOS can open twitter.com (visit) in a mobile browser to circumvent the Twitter Rate Limit. You can use Chrome, Safari, or the Opera GX browser as mentioned above.
2. Similarly, if you have been using Twitter in a web browser on your iPhone or Android phone and have exceeded the rate limit, you can install the Twitter app (Android | iOS) to bypass the Rate Limit. It works both ways.
3. Apart from that, you can install Twitter as a PWA (Progressive Web App) from a mobile browser to avoid the Rate Limit. Open twitter.com (visit) in Chrome or Safari, tap on the three-dot menu, and choose “Install app”.
4. iOS users can open Twitter in Safari. After that, tap on the “share” button and choose “Add to Home Screen”.
5. Give it a moment and a pop-up will appear. Tap on “Install” on your Android phone.
6. After a few seconds, the PWA version of Twitter will be installed on your smartphone. Now, you can use the PWA Twitter app to bypass the Twitter Rate Limit.