Many default ringtones, like the original iPhone Marimba or the iconic Nokia monophonic tune from the 1990s, have attained cult status over the years. Things, however, have changed since those days, with people preferring to set custom ringtones to stand apart from the madding crowd. So if you’re also looking to set your favorite music as the custom ringtone on your Android smartphone, you’ve come to the right place. Because today, we will show you how to set any song or audio track as custom ringtone on your Android smartphone.
Set Any Song as Custom Ringtone on Android
Having a custom ringtone on your phone ensures that you don’t reach for your pockets when someone else’s phone is ringing, or ignore an important call on your own phone under the same mistaken belief. So if you want to get with the program, here’s how you can set any song as custom ringtone on your Android devices. Before we start, though, do note that in the trick will only work with select file formats, including mp3, so make sure to check the file format of your favorite track before going any further.
Set Ringtone From Built-in Options
Note: As with all things Android, the exact options might differ from one device to another based on Android version and manufacturer.
- To change your Android ringtone, first go to Settings > Sound (could be listed as ‘Sound and Vibration’ in some devices).
- Scroll down and select Ringtone. If you get a confirmation popup from the Ringtone Manager, asking you to select a default app, select Media Storage. If not, simply go to the next step.
- Under Phone Ringtones, you should find a whole host of built-in tunes to choose from. Tap on them one at a time to hear them before making your selection. Once you find one that you like, hit OK to save your selection.
Set Any Audio Track as Custom Ringtone
Note: Again, the exact method to set your favorite song as a custom ringtone on Android will vary from one device to another. However, the tutorial below should give you an idea about how to go about it on your particular device.
- Navigate to Settings > Sound > Ringtone as described above. Now scroll down to the bottom and tap on Add Ringtone. You will be taken to the default File Manager app. Go to the Audio section to make your selection.
- From here, select your favorite tune that you want as the default ringtone on your phone. The song/track you choose will be automatically added at the end of the existing list and you will be able to use it as your new ringtone.
Note: Only the first few seconds of any audio track will be selected as the ringtone. If that doesn’t include your favorite part of the song, use an audio editing software to extract that part and create a separate audio file.
Set Your Favorite Tune as Custom Ringtone on Android
Now that you know how to change the default ringtone on your phone to something more personal, go ahead, give it a shot, and let us know how it went. And since you like personalizing your Android smartphone, check out our other Android personalization guides, including how to auto-change wallpapers, how to customize Android 11 power menu controls, and how to turn off all sensors on your Android device. While at it, also check out how you can remotely control your Android smartphone from another Android device in a few easy steps.