Death in Minecraft is close to inevitable. There are deadly mobs, lava pools, and high mountains ready to take you down and make you respawn. Nowadays, players even have to worry about the new mob boss Warden in Minecraft. Fortunately, you can respawn and go back to the place of your death to collect your dropped items without losing progress. But that solution isn’t vital for most cases. Your dropped items can despawn or even get stolen by other players. Moreover, dying in lava immediately destroys everything you drop, further raising the stakes of the Nether dimension (which you can easily visit using a Nether portal). Fortunately, there is a way to keep your inventory in Minecraft, and it requires almost no effort. All you need to do is tweak the game rules a little, and you are good to go. It enables you to stop the search and not worry about getting your items stolen. With that said, let’s learn how to keep inventory in Minecraft using commands in 2022.
Keep Inventory in Minecraft (2022)
We will first cover the basics before moving on to the process of using the keep inventory command in Minecraft. But if you don’t plan on waiting, use the table below to directly skip to the process to enable cheats and use the command.
What Happens When You Die in Minecraft
If you are in the creative, survival, or adventure mode of Minecraft, death isn’t permanent. You can respawn and choose to visit the location of your death to collect all the items from your inventory. However, in the hardcore mode, once you die you have to start over from the beginning in your world.
Now, the problem arises when it takes you too long to visit the place of your death. The game removes all the dropped items after 5 minutes of a chunk being loaded. So, if you take more than 5 minutes to reach your place of death, the items will automatically disappear. Moreover, you will have to make it back without all your resources unless you had a backup.
Enable Cheats or Commands in Minecraft
Commands work the same way as cheats work in other video games. To keep your inventory in Minecraft, you have to first enable cheats in your world. Here’s how to do the same on both editions.
On Bedrock Edition
Follow these steps to enable cheats in Minecraft Bedrock. The process remains the same for Windows, PS and Xbox consoles, Android, iOS, and iPadOS devices.
1. First, open the pause menu by pressing the “ESC” button or your platform’s dedicated pause key. Then, tap on the “Settings” option.
2. Within the settings, make sure to navigate to the “Game” section from the left side panel. Then, look for the “Cheats” section in the right pane and turn on the “Activate Cheats” toggle.
On Java Edition
Follow these steps to enable cheats in your Minecraft Java world. These steps work on the following platforms – Windows, Linux, macOS, and Chrome OS with Minecraft Java edition.
1. To begin, press the “ESC” key and open the pause menu. Then, click on the “Open to LAN” option. Don’t be fooled by its name, as you can access it even without a LAN network on your device.
2. Next, turn on the “Allow Cheats” option within the LAN settings. Finally, click on “start LAN world” to go back to your world with cheats enabled.
How to Enter Commands in Minecraft (PC, Console, or Mobile)
To enter commands like “keep inventory” in Minecraft, you have to the in-game chat option. It works in the same way on all platforms of Minecraft. You can press the “T” key to open the chat option on a PC. Similarly, you can press the dedicated chat key on your consoles.
Meanwhile, if you are on Android, iOS, or iPad OS, you have to press the chat icon at the top of your screen. It looks like the highlighted icon in the screenshot above.
How to Use Minecraft Keep Inventory Command
The “keep inventory” command in Minecraft is an extension of the game rule command. It allows you to change important rules by which a Minecraft world functions. Here’s how to use it.
1. First, open the chat option in your Minecraft world and type:
/gamerule keepInventory true
Do keep in mind that Minecraft commands are case sensitive, so what you type should look like the command above. Then, press the “send” button or the enter key.
2. Now that the keep inventory rule in Minecraft is active, you can test it. Put some resources in your inventory and kill your character. The best way to do so is by using the “/kill” command or jumping off a high place.
3. When you respawn, you will notice that all the items in your inventory are intact. So, unless you choose to drop them, the items in your inventory are safe even if your character dies. It applies to your armor and even equipped items. Though, if you die with a blast or lava, your armor still takes damage as usual.
Learn to Use the Keep Inventory Command in Minecraft
Just like that, you are now ready to take higher risks and die in Minecraft without losing your inventory. This nifty command opens up a variety of opportunities for you in-game. You can explore each of the Minecraft biomes without worrying about storage. You can even try to fight and meet the new mobs of Minecraft 1.19 with limited risks. But do keep in mind that this powerful command is useless in the best Minecraft servers. Most admins disable such commands to keep the game fair and stakes high for all the players on that server.
Moreover, if you are not a fan of using commands, you should meet Allay in Minecraft. This new mob of the Minecraft 1.19 wild update can collect parts of your inventory after your death. And there are no cheats or mods involved in making it do so. With that said, what all other useful Minecraft commands do you want us to cover? Tell us in the comments below!