- Google Maps allows you to drop a pin anywhere on the map to save or share the location to navigate there easily.
- To drop a pin in Google Maps on Android or iOS, open Google Maps -> long press on the point in the map you want to pin.
- To drop a pin on your desktop, go to the Google Maps website -> right-click on the map location you want to pin -> click on the info panel.
How often do you worry about getting lost in an unfamiliar place? Well, with Google Maps, we can afford to get lost, as it is the biggest safety net that there is for us to rely on. Recently, I shifted to a new place in a better, way bigger society, and it automatically increased my chances of getting lost. So, I simply pinned my new house location on Google Maps and started exploring the area. If I ever got lost, I simply followed Maps to get back to my place. There are a variety of scenarios where this Google Maps feature can come in handy. So, let’s learn how to drop a pin in Google Maps.
Drop a Pin in the Google Maps Mobile App
Like I said before, I pinned the location of my new place so as not to get lost. But, just dropping a pin on a location is not enough, especially if you want to get back to it. So, the smart thing to do is “save” such important locations. Similarly, I have a Favorites list of all the cafes and restaurants to save me from blowing a date. There are just so many things you can do with this feature, and the good thing here is that you can use it on both your mobile phone and PC.
So, to get started, follow these steps to drop a pin in Google Maps on Android and iOS. In this case, I’ve used my Android device to outline the process. Here’s a quick rundown:
- Open the Google Maps app and search for the location you want to pin using the search bar at the top.
- If you want to pin the location you’re currently at or near it, tap on the current location icon in the bottom right corner and manually place the pin.
- Once you find the location you want to pin, simply long press on that particular point on the map, and a red pin should instantly appear.
- You will also see a bunch of different options that come with pinning a location, alongside the option to Save the pinned location. Tap on it to “save” your location.
- Next, you can either create a New list for the saved location or add it to a pre-existing list. You then need to tap on the Done button at the top right corner.
- Right after, you will see a message at the bottom that confirms you have saved the location in the list.
Drop a Pin in Google Maps on Desktop/Web
Although it is the most convenient to place a pin in the Google Maps mobile app on Android or iOS, you can do so from your desktop PC or laptop too. Follow these steps:
- Head over to the official Google Maps website using your PC browser.
- Then, click once on the location that you want to pin in the map and a small grey pin will appear where you click.
- At the bottom of your screen, you will see a small information panel pop up. Click on it.
- As soon as you do so, the grey pin will transform into the big red pin that you want to drop, alongside the various options displayed in the left panel about the location.
- Here as well, you will see the Save option. Click on it.
- Finally, select the list you want to save the pinned location to and that’s it.
Note:If you are clicking on a prominent location that the map instantly recognizes, the red pin will directly appear instead of the small grey pin. For example, if you directly click on a cafe or a mall building.
Do note that you can’t add or drop multiple pins on your standard Google Maps like that. You will have to take the Google My Maps page route, but that is a hassle, especially if you are new to it. The best thing to do is to simply pin and “save” multiple locations and find them in the Saved section of your Google Maps.
Delete a Dropped Pin in the Google Maps App
Just like dropping a pin in Google Maps, the process of removing it is pretty simple as well. Whether you are on Android, iOS, or your desktop, once you pin a place, simply tap or click anywhere else on the map to unpin the location instantly.
However, if you “save” a place after pinning it and want to remove the saved place, here’s where you will find your saved locations and how to easily delete them on Android or iOS:
- Once in the Android or iOS app, from the lower panel head to the Saved tab.
- Here, you will see lists of locations that you have saved on your mobile.
- If you want to delete an entire list of saved locations, simply tap on the three-dot menu right beside the list -> Delete list -> Delete.
Note: You can only delete lists that you have created. The pre-existing lists like Want to go, Labelled, Travel plans, Starred places and Favourites can’t be deleted.
- On the other hand, if you want to delete a particular saved location in these lists, tap on the list that contains the saved location(s) you wish to delete.
- Then, in the list panel, scroll to the right to reveal the Edit option and select it.
- Now, you will see all the pinned locations in this list with a cross (x) button on the right. Tap on this next to the pinned location(s) you want to delete.
- This should instantly remove the location from the list. Then, tap Save at the top right corner of your screen.
Delete a Dropped Pin in Google Maps on Desktop
- Once you are on the Google Maps website, click on the hamburger menu at the top left corner of your screen.
- Then, select the Saved option from the left-side panel here.
- Here, right beside the different lists, you will see three-dot menu icons.
- Next, click on the three-dot icon and select the Edit list option.
- You will see the different pinned locations of a particular list you edit appear with a cross (x) button beside them.
- Simply click on the cross button beside the pinned location you want to delete, and that’s it.
Tips to Use Pinned Locations in Google Maps
Now that you know how to drop a pin in Google Maps and remove it, there are a couple of bonus tips that you should know about. I find myself using these time and again, and I really do feel that they will come in handy for you as well. Here’s a quick rundown:
- So, let’s say you have discovered this amazing cafe and your friend has been having a tough time finding one. You can simply mark the location and share it with your friend. That will make it easy for him or her to discover and navigate to it.
- Another thing that I have been using a lot is the ability to collaborate on saved lists. In my case, when my friend and I first shifted to a new city, we had zero information about where to start exploring it. So, we used this feature to create a list together and as we got to know of different places from the locals or our new friends, we kept saving them in the “Want to go” Google Maps list. Then, we started exploring these places.
- When collaborating or sharing a list, you can leave notes for the other person to see and make note of it. This is helpful, especially if you’re planning a trip and want to visit specific places on specific dates.
We are highly dependent on Google Maps at this point, and knowing how to drop a pin and make the most of it is only going to further elevate your navigation experience. There’s a lot going with Maps, and I certainly do hope that this guide can make things a lot easier for you. With that being said, let me know in the comments below if you have used this feature and if so, how you put it to use.